Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 04:35 AM   #1
markn455
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon
Default Sprint 8830 on Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

I have done a little searching but have not found anything. But has anyone looked into picking up a Spint 8830 and going to Verizon and activating it on their network? For those who love Verizon's network but want the GPS activated phone, I wonder of this is a possibility?

Mark
Ball Ground, GA
Old 08-02-2007, 05:40 AM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Verizon will not allow a non-Verizon phone on their network.
Same with Sprint... you can't use a non-Sprint phone on Sprint's network.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:51 AM   #3
BlondeBoyL
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
Verizon will not allow a non-Verizon phone on their network.
Same with Sprint... you can't use a non-Sprint phone on Sprint's network.
Actually verizon will. Its not unheard of for a person to be using an Alltel phone with verizon. Sprint on the other hand is the one that will not allow it.

As far as a sprint phone on VZW, it will never happen as sprint has their phones hardcore locked to only their network
Old 08-02-2007, 05:56 AM   #4
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondeBoyL View Post
Actually verizon will. Its not unheard of for a person to be using an Alltel phone with verizon. Sprint on the other hand is the one that will not allow it.

As far as a sprint phone on VZW, it will never happen as sprint has their phones hardcore locked to only their network
Thanks for the clarification.
In the end, I guess the result is the same for the OP. No Sprint phone on Verizon's network.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:26 AM   #5
dwp1975
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
PIN: 304CEA0A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondeBoyL View Post

That may be becuase Alltel is a partner (subisdiary) of verizon ans uses it's network anyways.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:50 AM   #6
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Carrier: *

All you need is the CDMA service programming code from Sprint. VZW's is generic/simple, Sprint's is specific. You can try asking them for it, but you must be creative. It's the same code they would give you if you were porting your number over to one of their phones. Basically what would happen is you'd have to get in with the service code, change it to match VZW's, activate service with VZW for the respective phone number (or port a VZW number to the phone) in the phone and OTA program it. Some have done this before with other phones in the past.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:54 AM   #7
AnthroMatt
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: 268B3F92
Carrier: at&t

Sprint phones can be activated on other networks. People here flash Sprint phones for use on Cricket all the time. It is wholly up to the individual carrier. Verizon used to activate anything. Now their official policy is only to activate VZW-branded phones. You can sometimes circumvent this by getting a rep who will allow you to activate a phone from another carrier (and maybe through VZW's online system) because Verizon's computer system doesn't flat out prohibit "non-native" ESN's from being activated, whereas Sprint's system does.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:35 PM   #8
andybrydon

Carrier: Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthroMatt View Post
Sprint phones can be activated on other networks. People here flash Sprint phones for use on Cricket all the time. It is wholly up to the individual carrier. Verizon used to activate anything. Now their official policy is only to activate VZW-branded phones. You can sometimes circumvent this by getting a rep who will allow you to activate a phone from another carrier (and maybe through VZW's online system) because Verizon's computer system doesn't flat out prohibit "non-native" ESN's from being activated, whereas Sprint's system does.
I have to ask you what you mean by you flash Sprint phones all the time. I have tried talking to a supoervisor regarding getting the programming code for my 8830 and there was no way he was giving it up. I am looking for anyway get that code, hahaha.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:54 AM   #9
tifosiv122
Thumbs Must Hurt

The Treo people do it all the time. As long as it's a CDMA phone it's possible that you can get it working on VZW...it's up to the service rep that puts in the info on their computers.

Erik
Old 08-13-2007, 08:14 AM   #10
AnthroMatt
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybrydon View Post
I have to ask you what you mean by you flash Sprint phones all the time. I have tried talking to a supoervisor regarding getting the programming code for my 8830 and there was no way he was giving it up. I am looking for anyway get that code, hahaha.
I don't personally flash phones, but getting the code is pretty easy. Call customer service and tell them you need to reprogram your phone. The 6 digit number they give you to enter programming mode is your lock code.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:44 PM   #11
andybrydon

Carrier: Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthroMatt View Post
I don't personally flash phones, but getting the code is pretty easy. Call customer service and tell them you need to reprogram your phone. The 6 digit number they give you to enter programming mode is your lock code.
Do you have any suggestions? I got the phone sued, so I don't have an accounyt iwth Sprint? I just don't want to get caught in hwat im doing wthout having a solid story.

Many thanks!
Old 08-13-2007, 02:54 PM   #12
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwp1975 View Post
That may be becuase Alltel is a partner (subisdiary) of verizon ans uses it's network anyways.
This is totally, 100%, absolutely, definitively a FALSE statement and should be ignored. Alltel is NOT a subsidiary of Verizon. They have their own network, and their only relationship with VZW is that of roaming partner.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:05 PM   #13
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

yeah they are their own company owned by 2 Large Investment Co.

Before they went wireless only they did have more extensive relations with Verizon and Cingular.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:51 PM   #14
AndrewAZ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Sprint

Whats so great about verizon just change to sprint? They dont nickel and dime you and cripple your phones. And in terms of coverage last article I saw sprint had more network coverage than verizon hence verizon no longer saying they largest coverage area and have to changed their saying to the largest network meaning they have more customers than anyone else.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:07 PM   #15
MrSanc8
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: Head
Carrier: Sprint
Default Right On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ View Post
Whats so great about verizon just change to sprint? They dont nickel and dime you and cripple your phones. And in terms of coverage last article I saw sprint had more network coverage than verizon hence verizon no longer saying they largest coverage area and have to changed their saying to the largest network meaning they have more customers than anyone else.
I couldn't agree with you more. VZW is expensive and you need to pay for every little service they offer, even GPS, when all other carriers have it enabled and don't want to rip you off $15.00 a month extra.

Right now, I sit at Atlanta International Airport with my laptop tethered to my Sprint 8703e (this airport charges to use their wireless) and I don't have to pay any extra because is included in my plan.

I have a feeling VZW charges for that. If not can someone correct me?

Sprint all the way! Screw VZW!
Old 08-13-2007, 04:17 PM   #16
gibber9583
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
PIN: ?
Carrier: AT&T

shocking that this turned into a VZW bashing thread....
Old 08-13-2007, 04:30 PM   #17
AnthroMatt
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibber9583 View Post
shocking that this turned into a VZW bashing thread....
Don't they all? ;) If it's a VZW thread, it will eventually lead to comments on how they cripple devices for their greed and if it's a Sprint thread, it will be all about how they have lousy customer service.

I cannot understand why some people take their carrier choice so personal...almost like it is a reflection of their worth as a human if they have one carrier over another. Weird.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:44 PM   #18
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf05 View Post
I couldn't agree with you more. VZW is expensive and you need to pay for every little service they offer, even GPS, when all other carriers have it enabled and don't want to rip you off $15.00 a month extra.

Right now, I sit at Atlanta International Airport with my laptop tethered to my Sprint 8703e (this airport charges to use their wireless) and I don't have to pay any extra because is included in my plan.

I have a feeling VZW charges for that. If not can someone correct me?

Sprint all the way! Screw VZW!
Yawn.....

Last edited by Dawg; 08-13-2007 at 04:45 PM..
Old 08-13-2007, 09:48 PM   #19
orbitz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Sprint, T-Mobile

I believe you would find this thread interesting:

SprintUsers.com - New FCC Ammendment

It is talking about a recent FCC law requiring carries to cooperate with using hardware on other networks if they are technologically compatible etc.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:03 PM   #20
tcwatkins

Actually VZW just settled a case and agreed to activate non-VZW phones if the phone are in the VZW approved list of devices and meets the E911 requirement. But my understanding (which could be wrong) is that they will flash the device to the VZW software. How much you want to bet that it will lock out the GPS?

The settlement info is at:

Verizon Wireless
Closed Thread