BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 08:12 AM   #1
pacman777

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default Taking the battery cover off the BB...

Please Login to Remove!

Why is the back cover for the battery so hard to take off on the BB8830 for Sprint? It almost feels like I'm gonna break it trying to take the cover off. I try pressing the little micro SD logo and sliding it, but it still doesn't come off easy. Anyone else have this problem, or do I have a defective one? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 08-04-2007, 08:24 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

I doubt it is defective, mine seems way to loose and comes off easily. I believe that would the Rim logo on the tab, isn't it?
Old 08-04-2007, 08:47 AM   #3
dcarr66

Model: Tour

I find it very difficult to open the battery compartment. I've seen this mentioned elsewhere in BBF. I was on the phone last week with a VZW tech trying to fix the calendar sync problem and did a hard reset a couple of times. She told me they had special training to learn how to remove the cover. That's when you know there's a design problem.

I think the issue is that the cover hooks in three places: under the BB logo and on each side of the logo. When you push down on the silver button you're only releasing pressure on one of the hooks. I usually plave the unit face down on something soft (like a mouse pad) and use three fingers across the top of the cover to press all three points. It helps, but it's still difficult.

It's amazing to me that something like that made it to the market. You'd think someone at BB would've struggled to remove the cover at some point during the development. Amazing...
Old 08-04-2007, 09:59 AM   #4
ka7gzr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Turn the 8800 over with the face pointing down with USB connector pointing away from you. Grasp the 8800 with both hands with your thumbs on the upward facing bottom. Put your left thumb on the silver micro SD cover and your right thumb on the center of the battery cover. Push down with both thumbs and slide the cover to the right.
Jim
Old 08-04-2007, 10:26 AM   #5
AnthroMatt
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: 268B3F92
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka7gzr View Post
Turn the 8800 over with the face pointing down with USB connector pointing away from you. Grasp the 8800 with both hands with your thumbs on the upward facing bottom. Put your left thumb on the silver micro SD cover and your right thumb on the center of the battery cover. Push down with both thumbs and slide the cover to the right.
Jim
Yup. Piece of cake to remove the cover if you follow these directions.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:58 PM   #6
wazuri77

same problem
Old 08-04-2007, 06:21 PM   #7
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Because its new, you may be a bit hesistant and it may be a bit stiff as a result. If anything, I thought it was easier to slide off than the 72xx or 75xx models. Don't be afraid of it.

If you want to discuss the micro SD card, then that it is totally a different issue.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:15 AM   #8
orbitz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Sprint, T-Mobile

Once you get it off a few times it a) seems to loosen up just a touch and b) seems like you get the "knack" for it. When I first got mine it took me 10 minutes to get the back off...now I can get it off in 2 seconds.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:44 AM   #9
Kyos
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630

Quote:
Jim
This helped.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:43 AM   #10
Nickster248
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: 2333C6FD
Carrier: Telus
Angry

Quote:
Jim
Nope...Same problem...almost impossible to remove. Perhaps as some mention, that the more you take it off, the easier it becomes. Nevertheless, I consider this a design flaw and RIM should be send out a bulletin to let consumers know that the issue is known and being addressed.

BB PIN: 2333C6FD on a Torch 9800
Old 08-05-2007, 01:25 PM   #11
bikedogrun
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickster248 View Post
Nope...Same problem...almost impossible to remove. Perhaps as some mention, that the more you take it off, the easier it becomes. Nevertheless, I consider this a design flaw and RIM should be send out a bulletin to let consumers know that the issue is known and being addressed.
Hmm ... I just put my nail above the silver microSD/Blackberry logo'ed portion of the cover and "very slight" downward pressure in the gap between the black plastic back and the top of that silver logo makes the battery cover slide right down quite easily ...

/BD

Last edited by bikedogrun; 08-05-2007 at 01:26 PM..
Old 08-05-2007, 05:44 PM   #12
entropism
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330

Easier way: Hold the phone face down, the screen pointed towards your body. Hold the phone with one hand by the sides, and place the palm of your hand on the battery cover, about a half inch past the silver "button". Basically so that the fleshy part of the base of your thumb is in the middle of the battery cover. Then just slide it away from you, comes off VERY easy.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:03 AM   #13
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

The first time is always the most difficult. Sticking an Invisible Shield or eGrip (or something similar) on the battery door will help if you're still having problems.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:01 AM   #14
alai99

Model: 8800
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Jim
I install new 8800 in my office almost everyday. I use the same way to open the battery cover. No problem at all and I think this is the only way to open the cover easy. First time when I try it I have the same problem that can't open it. But after I try it few more times and found out I have to use 2 thumbs to do it. I have no problem open it now. And it does feels like the 8800 is a lot easier to open than the 8700.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:51 AM   #15
steelersfan

In my very best Paris Hilton voice -- 'like oh my gaaa' it works

Old 08-11-2007, 11:48 AM   #16
Gress

Model: 8820
Carrier: Orange

I've had an 8820 for a week and have been cursing this cover. While considering the use of a swiss army knife or a chisel I tried the ka7gzr method and, hey, it's like magic. This should be in the user guide.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:54 AM   #17
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

You are pushing too hard on the button. I wet (spit) three fingers to use to pull the door down while "gently" pressing the button and the cover comes off quite easy. If you push too hard on the button, it will not allow it to slide off.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:02 AM   #18
dtdt
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by akosnitzky View Post
Because its new, you may be a bit hesistant and it may be a bit stiff as a result. If anything, I thought it was easier to slide off than the 72xx or 75xx models. Don't be afraid of it.

If you want to discuss the micro SD card, then that it is totally a different issue.
I wasn't afraid of it, but I still have trouble with the cover EVERY SINGLE TIME I need to remove it. Kinda sucks that we even NEED to remove it for the occasional hard-reset...

Kinda good that it's not like the iPhone; it actually has an accessible battery!!!

Also, by my not being afraid of it....the battery cover has thrashed the outer surface of my battery. This doesn't effect anything other than the appearance of it, but for someone who washes and waxes his Audi once a week like church and takes great pride in all of his posessions, it irks me nonetheless.

Overall, the phone isn't perfect, but I look at it like having an ideal partner who has a few annoying quirks, and doesn't do everything quite the way you want, but she's an excellent communicator, great with organization, has a gorgeous display, and best of all, costs less than $150/month. So what if she can't navigate; that's where the Thomas Guide comes into action.

Did I mention "stand-by mode"????
Old 08-12-2007, 10:28 AM   #19
alfa

Carrier: VZW

Well, at least the problem isn't the reverse. It should be difficult to take the battery cover off. For the people who don't screw around with their phones too much, the battery cover thing is a feature - but for those of us who like to swap out batteries, etc., it is a design flaw.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:59 AM   #20
jordana816

Carrier: sprint

thanks for the tip putting your nail about the button with very little pressure works great.
whats the best way 2 tak out a sim card?
Closed Thread