Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 01:24 AM   #1
bjablonka
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: t-mobile
Default Voice memo

Please Login to Remove!

I am coming from the Pocket PC side and got a BB 8700g and now the BB 8100. What I am looking for is a program which allows me to record short voice memos e.g. I like to record a tel. number of something I heard on the radio. I know that the 8100 offered voice messaging but I don not want to have to sent it to my own mailbox and then have to recheck it. I just like to have a voice recorder. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:19 PM   #2
pipermalibu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c

I am surprised that there is no input from the forum on this issue, since some previous posts, said that it was likely included with the OS, since the phone can have a 1GB card.

Anybody????
Old 09-17-2006, 09:33 PM   #3
bjablonka

Carrier: t-mobile

Agreed. Let's try to keep this alive, maybe one person knows about some outside applicationswe can use.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:22 AM   #4
sss

Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Deleted

Dup

Last edited by sss; 10-07-2006 at 10:32 AM.. Reason: Posted twice by accident
Old 10-07-2006, 10:30 AM   #5
sss

Default Re: Voice memo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjablonka
I am coming from the Pocket PC side and got a BB 8700g and now the BB 8100. What I am looking for is a program which allows me to record short voice memos e.g. I like to record a tel. number of something I heard on the radio. I know that the 8100 offered voice messaging but I don not want to have to sent it to my own mailbox and then have to recheck it. I just like to have a voice recorder. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
You don't have to actually send it to your mailbox. Here's what I do:

Open the Send Voice Message app
Record your message (up to a minute I think)
Click the pearl and select Send MMS
From the address book, pick someone with an EMAIL address. It doesn't matter what the email address is since you aren't going to send it. You can also put an entry in your address book called "Voice Memo" with a dummy email address. That way, you can find your voice memos easily in your messages folder and it won't go anywhere if you send it by mistake. Proper dummy email addresses are [something]@example.[com|net|org]
Select the address book entry then select the email address of that entry, not any phone numbers.
You can enter something in the subject field if you want to remind yourself what the voice memo is about. If you're driving, you don't have to.
Hit the Menu button and select Save Draft.

That's it. You can now go to your Messages app and see your voice note saved. Open it and click the Play button to hear it.

Last edited by sss; 10-07-2006 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: fill in proper dummy email address
Old 10-07-2006, 10:43 AM   #6
AlwaysOn607
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl

I am sure I am missing something here. I send the MMS to my own email. I am sure there is a good reason why you are going through all of the above, but my feeble Sat AM brain isn't getting it. What is the advantage of the above?
Old 10-07-2006, 10:51 AM   #7
sss

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysOn607
I am sure I am missing something here. I send the MMS to my own email. I am sure there is a good reason why you are going through all of the above, but my feeble Sat AM brain isn't getting it. What is the advantage of the above?
Because it doesn't take any extra effort to save draft vs. send it to myself and it saves me the MMS message charges. Also, I can find my voice memos easier in my mailbox because they are labeled "Voice Memo"
Old 10-07-2006, 10:56 AM   #8
chad5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703
Carrier: sprint
Default voice memo 8703e ?

Can voice memos be done with the 8703e for sprint?
Old 10-07-2006, 11:18 AM   #9
sss

Well, I guess it does take a little bit of extra effort. Because when you hit the pearl when you want to actually send the message, you have to scroll down one from Send to Save Draft. But the benefits of not paying for an MMS message and also having the voice memos labeled to make them easier to find outweight that I think.

Try it, you might like it. Just make an address book entry called "Voice Memo" with no phone numbers, only an email address of [email address]. Record a voice note and select that entry from your book. The cool thing is, when you find it once you don't have to find it again. The app remembers your last selection. Also, because the Voice Memo entry doesn't have any phone numbers, it pops right to the email entry form without asking you to select between the email or any phone numbers. Save Draft instead of Send and you have a free voice memo that's available immediately (don't have to wait for it to email it to yourself) and is labeled so it's easily found.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:48 PM   #10
AlwaysOn607
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl

I don't think I pay for MMS, but having the voice memos located in one place would be a handy feature. Thank you for your instructions.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:53 PM   #11
chad5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703
Carrier: sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by sss
Well, I guess it does take a little bit of extra effort. Because when you hit the pearl when you want to actually send the message, you have to scroll down one from Send to Save Draft. But the benefits of not paying for an MMS message and also having the voice memos labeled to make them easier to find outweight that I think.

Try it, you might like it. Just make an address book entry called "Voice Memo" with no phone numbers, only an email address of [email address]. Record a voice note and select that entry from your book. The cool thing is, when you find it once you don't have to find it again. The app remembers your last selection. Also, because the Voice Memo entry doesn't have any phone numbers, it pops right to the email entry form without asking you to select between the email or any phone numbers. Save Draft instead of Send and you have a free voice memo that's available immediately (don't have to wait for it to email it to yourself) and is labeled so it's easily found.

Can this be done with the 8703e? Does anybody know of how to try it? Or is it only a 8100 software thing?
Old 10-07-2006, 05:10 PM   #12
Loco-san

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Thanks sss. Great idea and highly useful. If it's not in the FAQ yet it needs to be
Old 11-21-2006, 08:04 PM   #13
Tropez

Model: 8703e

I would love to know how to do this on the 8703e as well. Nobody knows?
Old 11-21-2006, 08:10 PM   #14
blakeatl
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: T-mobile

Yes.....voice recorder would be brilliant for this device. Like the fellow said about hearing phone #s on the radio....this would be nice to have. And as forgetful as I get at times, I could really use it to remind myself of things.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:12 PM   #15
Tylast
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-mobile

I too miss my voice recorder (coming from a Symbian Phone).