Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 05:41 PM   #1
4ster

Model: Dont
Carrier: Sprint (for now)
Default Is Centro to 8703e a bad idea?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi everyone,

I'm on Sprint and recently (like 40 days ago), I switched from a Treo 650 to a Centro. I like many things about the Centro (smaller size, fast mode Blazer, relatively better stability). EVDO dosen't mean much to me, since I don't live in a PowerVision area.

I started messing around with Chatteremail lately, and I have switched to IMAP e-mail (via Fastmail). I really love IMAP; I'm not just reading email on the phone. Now I actually can file it, delete it, save a draft, and then have my Macbook show those changes, which is great.

I also find myself writing/responding to more e-mail on the phone, and this is where I have a problem. I'm not great on the Centro keyboard. I'm pretty accurate, but I find typing on it tiring after a short while. I'm also not too keen on the Centro's battery life and tendency to creak the whole time I'm typing on it.

So here I am. I'm beyond thirty days, and I'm considering selling it to get something else. I'm going to take a bath, unless I buy a new one on eBay, and then I will take a smaller bath. I paid $99 out the door for the Centro.

So I'm thinking of the following of switching to an 8703e: Made for e-mail, Blackberry reliability, scroll wheel might be nice to change OS, big keyboard, I can afford it if I buy it on eBay. The 8830 or Pearl would be nice, but I'm concerned about price.

Now, I realize I may be a stooge here, so feel free to tell me what you think. I should do. I know the 8703e is long in the tooth and has no cameras, but I'd still like any insight you can offer. Also, I'm synching with a Mac.

Thanks for being a great forum.

Last edited by 4ster; 02-26-2008 at 05:42 PM..
Old 02-26-2008, 06:03 PM   #2
misterb
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ster View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm on Sprint and recently (like 40 days ago), I switched from a Treo 650 to a Centro. I like many things about the Centro (smaller size, fast mode Blazer, relatively better stability). EVDO dosen't mean much to me, since I don't live in a PowerVision area.

I started messing around with Chatteremail lately, and I have switched to IMAP e-mail (via Fastmail). I really love IMAP; I'm not just reading email on the phone. Now I actually can file it, delete it, save a draft, and then have my Macbook show those changes, which is great.

I also find myself writing/responding to more e-mail on the phone, and this is where I have a problem. I'm not great on the Centro keyboard. I'm pretty accurate, but I find typing on it tiring after a short while. I'm also not too keen on the Centro's battery life and tendency to creak the whole time I'm typing on it.

So here I am. I'm beyond thirty days, and I'm considering selling it to get something else. I'm going to take a bath, unless I buy a new one on eBay, and then I will take a smaller bath. I paid $99 out the door for the Centro.

So I'm thinking of the following of switching to an 8703e: Made for e-mail, Blackberry reliability, scroll wheel might be nice to change OS, big keyboard, I can afford it if I buy it on eBay. The 8830 or Pearl would be nice, but I'm concerned about price.

Now, I realize I may be a stooge here, so feel free to tell me what you think. I should do. I know the 8703e is long in the tooth and has no cameras, but I'd still like any insight you can offer. Also, I'm synching with a Mac.

Thanks for being a great forum.
I've owned just about every Treo, up to the Centro. I just switched to the Pearl. I'm happy over all. I really liked the functionality of Chatter, but it killed the battery really fast, and I didn't like the thought that the program was designed and supported (sort of) by some dude. It just seemed to be full of bugs, and not very stable. It caused problems outside of the program, such as my calendar alarms.

Anyway, I'd recommend getting the Pearl and installing Google's mail program to check your mail. It has full two way sync, and allows you to search every last item in your "all mail" folder. Try that with chatter... The downside, is that it isn't exactly push email. It sometimes takes 15 minutes to get new email. For me, I'd rather have epic battery life and stability, than to get my emails instantly. And, yes- I know about the BB email app that allows you to check Gmail and get true push, but then you lose some functionality with two way instant sync, and the ability to search all mail, etc.

I can type just as fast- maybe faster on the Pearl. The keys are bigger, and the sure type has grown on me. Just don't look at the screen while you're typing. Let it do it's thing, and then proof it before you send it out, or at the end of each sentence.

The Centro may be small, but it seems really clunky and big compared to the Pearl. I also like that I don't have to constantly touch the screen. The track ball has really grown on me, and I can zip around pretty well.

I've also started using Outlook 2007 to sync my calendar, etc. instead of Palm Desktop, and I'm much happier with it. Now I've got everything including my email in one clean app.

I think you'll be happier in the long run with a Pearl, but I certainly wondered the first couple of days until I figured out how to use the suretype and change my way of thinking.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:37 PM   #3
SheepDog
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
PIN: ask if you need it
Carrier: Sprint

Pearl? No full keyboard. Try an 8830 or Curve!
Old 02-26-2008, 07:05 PM   #4
ricpac
BBFAQ Sysop

Model: 9700
PIN: Alt+Shift+H
Carrier: GLOBE

I have tried a friend's Centro but I didn't like it. It's probably because I like my Curve too much. If you want an 8703e, then go for it... it still is a BlackBerry!
Old 02-27-2008, 10:38 AM   #5
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ster View Post
I know the 8703e is long in the tooth and has no cameras, but I'd still like any insight you can offer.
Doesn't really matter unless you need/want the camera and/or media features on the newer models. It's still EVDO and still a rock solid device.
Closed Thread