Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 05:53 PM   #1
cayzac
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Curve
Carrier: AT&T
Default Makayama Media Studio ??

Please Login to Remove!

Has anyone tried Makayama Media Studio for their Pearl, 8800 or Curve?
DVD and video to Blackberry - only two clicks needed

It looks too good to be true, I mean 8 DVD's on a 1 gig MicroSD card?!?! That seems insane! I have an 8700 so I can't download the trial and test it but I'm wanting to get the Curve whenever AT&T gets it so I was hoping one of you might give it a trial and let us know how well it works.

One other thing I was wondering is how does it affect battery life?
Thanks in advance!!
Old 05-18-2007, 09:56 AM   #2
cayzac

Bumping this once, hope you don't mind, I just would have thought someone would have wanted to try putting movies on their BB.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:13 AM   #3
rickthornton

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

I have this software and here is what I have experienced thus far:

It compresses a typical DVD down to about a 200 - 300 mb file. The quality is fine on the BB screen. I have had a couple of instances where the audio wasn't synced perfectly with the video, not enough to make it unwatchable, but it was noticeable. This hasn't been a consistent problem so I can't figure out the what or why with this issue.

This software breaks the movies down into about 20 minute segments to avoid freezing the unit with large files. What I do is simply put all the files into a folder and select play folder and the movie plays from beginning to end with just a short delay while loading the new file every 20 minutes.

I originally was using this with XP which worked fine, however, I purchased a new Vista notebook and there are some compatibility issues with Vista, it still works, but is less stable then with XP (Go figure).

This is a PC resident application, there is nothing on the BB to affect battery life, etc. DVD into the PC, the software converts the DVDto a BB compatible video format, the file gets transferred to the BB's micro SD card, and you use the built in media player to watch the video.

There is also a free application out there that will do a DVD conversion which also works. Not as easy an interface to work with (IMO), and it doesn't automatically split the files, but it does work pretty well.

Seabyrd Technologies - Blackberry Video Converter

I'd try both and see which you like.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:22 AM   #4
cayzac

Excellent information, thank you!! What I meant by battery life is how does the battery hold up after watching a 2 hour movie on the BB? Thanks again!
Old 05-18-2007, 11:50 AM   #5
rickthornton

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

I have never gave it a formal test, but there is no problem with watching a two hour movie on a full battery. I do not find that the video player to be a battery hog. Based on my experience, I think that you could watch 5 + hours of video on a fully charged battery without a problem.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:14 PM   #6
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickthornton View Post
I have never gave it a formal test, but there is no problem with watching a two hour movie on a full battery. I do not find that the video player to be a battery hog. Based on my experience, I think that you could watch 5 + hours of video on a fully charged battery without a problem.
Yeah, 2 and a half full movies with no problem. I can get through 3 if i dont use the phone at all on the 8800. Only 1.5 movies on the pearl though :(
Old 10-24-2007, 08:57 AM   #7
starpix

Model: 8830
Carrier: nextel/sprint

Software stinks. Not enough config options. Only one out of 15 videos I've encoded will play on 8830.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:05 PM   #8
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

As far as battery life, a two hour movie took about 35% of my battery life with the wireless connection off which is a consequence regardless of the video program

LET'S GO CANES!
Closed Thread