Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 08:56 PM   #1
TestDriver

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Verizon
Default 7130e as Modem Problems

Please Login to Remove!

Hello,

This is my first post here though I've been lurking for a while now. While doing so, I was preparing for when I got my BB. Mainly, I wanted to learn how to use it as a modem.

When I originally got my 7130e through Verizon, I set it up as a modem exactly as it was outlined by Mark Rejhon. Apart from having to change the password from my number to vzw, I had no issues. It worked great both on my laptop and my wife's (both running XP) for some 3 months. We live about 15miles north of Ann Arbor and coverage has never been a problem.

However, since December 22nd, I've not been able to use it as a modem again. I constantly get the error 691 message. I tried several fixes outlined throughout these boards with no success. Some of these include removing the desktop manager and installing a newer one as well as attempting the ##000000 trick. The latter seems to have no effect as the SIP password seems to reset to blank upon the BB's restart.

When my 7130e stopped working, I was traveling out west and I initially thought it might be a coverage issue. But since returning to MI, the problem persists. I tried using it with my wife's laptop to see if I had gone wrong with my attempted fixes and there was a moment of relief as it went through with the connection as usual. However, when I opened a browser, the connection was lost and it went on to give me the dreaded error 671 when I tried to reconnect.

If this is the wrong place to post for help of this sort, I apologize. As I stated earlier, this is my first post so please direct me to a more appropriate forum if it is warranted.

Thanks.

Ramon
Old 01-05-2007, 11:22 PM   #2
msingewald
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7130e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I don't mean to sound rude, but you could probably get a good answer from Verizon. I have found them helpful with Blackberry issues in the past. Also, if I were you, I couldn't wait for an answer from the forums on this!
Old 01-06-2007, 12:43 AM   #3
TestDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by msingewald
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7130e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I don't mean to sound rude, but you could probably get a good answer from Verizon. I have found them helpful with Blackberry issues in the past. Also, if I were you, I couldn't wait for an answer from the forums on this!

Sure I could ask them directly, but the previous two times I've called they proved to be less informed about the unit than I was. It turned into an enless handoff effort from them where I was passed from tech to tech. It took some 3 hours on the phone before they determined I needed a new unit. This came after some generic troubleshooting steps where it was obvious they were reading some script. Once the steps were done at a particular tech's turn, they put me on hold untill some other tech was called in.

If I get nowhere on these forums, I might just call them again. I suppose the determining factor is opening up a large time window to use on the land-line with them.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:59 AM   #4
TestDriver

Default Success!

Sent via BB connection.

For the few of you who may be interested, I was finally able to get connected again. The last thing I did was change the mode preference from "digital only" to "cdma only". I also tried "evdo only" mode but that did not work. This was done from the CDMA Service Program Edit Screen thats available by dialing ##000000 using the thumb wheel.

Once dialed in, I changed the setting back to "digital only" with no problems. I even disconnected and dialed up again with no problems in either cdma or digital mode. However, when I changed this setting to "evdo only", I got the familiar error 691. I tried digital mode again with no success but setting cdma mode back on worked like a charm. It's in digital mode right now and I'm wondering what to leave it on.

I'll be the first to admit I'm fairly lost with this technology and if there is something I did to my BB to initially cause this setting to change, please let me know.

One more thing to add is, previously, while using it as a modem, there was nothing of note on the home screen save for the transmitting/recieving arrows. However, there is now a "Modem Mode Enabled" line on the screen. Should I expect any other changes?

Last edited by TestDriver; 01-07-2007 at 12:17 PM..
Old 01-08-2007, 10:48 AM   #5
dhale

Model: 7310e

I've been using Verizon's VZAccess Manger for more than a year with no issues. It connect EVDO when available, 1X when not. In rural locations, it's still faster than the out-law's dial-up.

vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry
Old 01-10-2007, 09:28 AM   #6
TestDriver

Default More Info Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhale
I've been using Verizon's VZAccess Manger for more than a year with no issues. It connect EVDO when available, 1X when not. In rural locations, it's still faster than the out-law's dial-up.

vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry
dhale,

Besides installing VZAccess Manager, what is the procedure for using the BB as a modem this way? Is there an associated cost? How fast is it?

Thanks
Old 01-16-2007, 04:18 PM   #7
dhale

Model: 7310e

I pay the $15.00/month 'tethering' charge on top of the BB unlimited service.
USB connect the BB to your PC (with BB Desktop installed on the PC).
It'll ask for the BB password, just like with BB Desktop.
Select Connect when it's available and you're on.
Basically takes care of the DUN, and the manual configuration setup for you. Also has an accelerator built in, simple enough to disable.

Speed is anywhere from 42 (at the out-laws) to 180-300 (NYC Metro).
Peaks, via the software's stats, in the 800-1.2 range.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:57 AM   #8
TestDriver

Ok, it happened again. I went out west again but this time to the Phoenix area and my BB did the same thing. It would not connect. I thought I was armed to overcome this but my fix did not work there. It would not connect regardless of which mode I set it on.

Upon returning home (MI), it gave me the familiar error 691. However, after changing the mode again, it started working without a hitch. What the hell gives here? Is this thing supposed to only work in my home area? Are there people out there who travel and use a BB as a modem while on the road who can give me some direction?

Dave,

I take it that you mean us, modem users that is, are the out-laws. Why is this? Is this not an approved use of the BBs?

Ramon
Old 02-06-2007, 01:06 PM   #9
TestDriver

Default Anything?

C'mon guys! Surely there is someone out there that travels with these things and uses them as dialup modems.

Again, I'm in the Phoenix area with no internet access on my laptop throught the BB. I spent a couple of hours with the Verizon tech help people today only to have them tell me in the end, they don't support this type of use.

I went to a local Vz store and checked the local settings on a BB on display. Trying these on mine did not do the trick. There has to be something to me being here that makes this use not currently possible. Is there someone on these boards from Arizona who can help?

Thanks.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:39 PM   #10
jwhite4304
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Just spent 45 minutes on phone with Verizon correcting a similar problem. I do have VZW access Manager and pay the tethering fee. Hae used the BB 7130e across the country and this was first problem. Some software that I installed on laptop created problem. Final correction was to reinstall VZW Access Manager and I am up running again.

Jimbo

Jimbo
Closed Thread