BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 10:09 AM   #1
kmb1966
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel
Default Text message on 7520, no way to tell who!

Please Login to Remove!

I searched this topic here, and found some info, but just couldn't believe it.
So I called Sprint/Nextel and told them that I keep getting text messages from someone, but I cannot tell WHO IT IS. Nextel claims that they cannot determine the sender either. Seems like somewhere out there in some computer log is the ESN of the SENDER of the message to MY Blackberry!
This could become a serious problem. Someone gets your phone# and text messages the heck out of you, and you can't stop it or determine who the heck it is!
Old 12-15-2005, 10:30 AM   #2
southwestcomm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Many
Carrier: Sprint

The 7520 only supports SMS messaging so no support for tracking who sent the message. Sorry.
How do you know the message isn't being sent from Nextel.com? There is no tracking for that either.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:49 AM   #3
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

yeah that is a giant downfall for the 7520
Old 12-15-2005, 10:53 AM   #4
kmb1966
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestcomm
The 7520 only supports SMS messaging so no support for tracking who sent the message. Sorry.
How do you know the message isn't being sent from Nextel.com? There is no tracking for that either.
Because Nextel.com doesn't ask the questions that these messages ask! If you knowhatImean!
Old 12-15-2005, 01:28 PM   #5
southwestcomm

True. But someone can send you a text message from the Nextel.com Web site. that was my point.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:42 PM   #6
SJ2R

Talking

the best way around that problem is to get the persons email ad...i had the same problem with my 7520 example..if someone sends a message from a spint phone you cannot tell who that message is from..however the best way around that is to get that persons email contact...like their [email address]

EXAMPLE:123-456-7789@messaging.sprintpcs.com

after that is done you can tell who the message is from
Old 12-16-2005, 12:06 AM   #7
No Longer Registered.

Yeah, this SMS with 7520 sucks. I received alot of greetings on turkey day and don't know who the heck sent me those. It could cause some misunderstanding among friends when you don't reply to their msgs.

Old 12-16-2005, 12:17 AM   #8
LilMikey
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Telus

My Crappy 3 Year Phone Has It, But The 751o doesnt, Wow
Old 12-16-2005, 12:53 AM   #9
corporate
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: Rogers

Wait, let me get this straight - Nextel doesn't provide you with a phone number of the sender or anything?
Old 12-16-2005, 01:17 AM   #10
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Nothing. You get a mail icon that is slanted and you don't get the sender's name, address, the ability to reply - nothing. That sucked with the 7520. But now I have the 7100i and it works great
Old 12-16-2005, 02:13 PM   #11
jwaters
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

There have been a number of threads about how "crappy" the BB is because it doesn't support SMS messaging. If you want SMS messaging get don't buy a BB, get a different phone! If you want full email functions then get a BB. Tell your friends to put their name at the end of their message so you know who it's from if they insist on texting you, at least then you'll know who it's from.

It seems as though a lot of people don't seem to get it that the BB is more of a work device and not a casual one. I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of users couldn't care less about SMS messaging or ringtones. (Oh my god! I can't have that stupid ringtone I heard on TV last night on my 7520 BB. Now I can't sit in my meeting and show how cool I am because I forgot to put the phone on vibrate once again! That must mean that RIM sucks along with Nextel and everyone else who is conspiring to not let me have everything I want on this phone.)

Bottom line is, research what devices support what it is that you want to do BEFORE buying one. Don't go crying when you get it and then find out it doesn't support playing mp3 files or SMS messaging or any of the other things people come and complain about.

Whew, I finally had to get that off my chest!
Old 12-16-2005, 02:33 PM   #12
FiftiesDean

Model: 7630
Carrier: Verizon

well said....

maybe nextel will just put the 4.1 OS out there for 7520 to make everything better......
Old 12-16-2005, 02:54 PM   #13
tregrad
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: nextel

without the DC function of the Nextel phones......Nextel is WORTHLESS!!!!!! ive been with them for 4 or 5 years and it is solely because of the radio, PERIOD!
they cant even get how to let someone know who the flip is sending a message, come on. how hard would it be to put the OS that does on the 7520? I bet even my daughter could do it.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:00 PM   #14
FiftiesDean

Model: 7630

they can, but as jwaters pointed out......it's more of a work device......the newer BBs can, as well as their new phones....

you daughter knows how to write BB OS Software? she could make decent money.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:40 PM   #15
southwestcomm

Has nothing to do with the device. It has to do with the way Nextel built their SMS platform and the fact the Nextel BB's do not use the 2way messaging platform. If they did the sender's phone number would show up. If you want text messaging on a BB get the 7100.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:06 PM   #16
SmurfBerry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Arrow I am doing it

I am a bit confused here. I get text messages all day along from foreign providers and I am a Nextel 7520 user. The names of them do come up and I know exactlly who it is; number at vtext, sprintpcs and so on. Most of the time it actually says their name in front of the subject.

Just make sure they are sending it to service provider.blackberrry.net, and make sure you have a quick contact card made up for them with their number@their service proiver.what the flip ever.

I haven't ran across this issue yet, so it shouldn't be that hard really. I am not saying I am smart and you all are retarded or anything. I think I just realized ahead of time Nextel didn't have the SMS capability and I knew to do the full address deal with a contact card with the sending info, so the BB recognizes the incoming message.

Hope tis helps
Old 12-16-2005, 06:30 PM   #17
antisepsisDC

This is coming through the SMS to email gateway, if I understand correctly, rather than through SMS itself.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:43 PM   #18
kmb1966
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaters
There have been a number of threads about how "crappy" the BB is because it doesn't support SMS messaging. If you want SMS messaging get don't buy a BB, get a different phone! If you want full email functions then get a BB. Tell your friends to put their name at the end of their message so you know who it's from if they insist on texting you, at least then you'll know who it's from.

It seems as though a lot of people don't seem to get it that the BB is more of a work device and not a casual one. I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of users couldn't care less about SMS messaging or ringtones. (Oh my god! I can't have that stupid ringtone I heard on TV last night on my 7520 BB. Now I can't sit in my meeting and show how cool I am because I forgot to put the phone on vibrate once again! That must mean that RIM sucks along with Nextel and everyone else who is conspiring to not let me have everything I want on this phone.)

Bottom line is, research what devices support what it is that you want to do BEFORE buying one. Don't go crying when you get it and then find out it doesn't support playing mp3 files or SMS messaging or any of the other things people come and complain about.

Whew, I finally had to get that off my chest!
Hey, I UNDERSTAND that my BB doesn't support SMS, but the point is that OTHER PEOPLE (NO THE BB OWNER) can't remember what a BB does and does not. They figure, hey it is a cell phone, it can probably receive a message. I think you have totally missed the point here.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:16 PM   #19
SJ2R

hmmm i really think people should just research the phone's features and everything in detail before they complain..we all complain at one point or another when were confused on something etc...just research information about the phone more into detail..other than that its been a few good points made in this post
Old 12-16-2005, 09:28 PM   #20
KonTiki

Model: 9650
PIN: 007

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb1966
Hey, I UNDERSTAND that my BB doesn't support SMS, but the point is that OTHER PEOPLE (NO THE BB OWNER) can't remember what a BB does and does not. They figure, hey it is a cell phone, it can probably receive a message. I think you have totally missed the point here.
No i think you are the one that is missing the point I agree with jwaters, in the first place reserch before you buy, that way you avoid surprises and dont have to complain. In the second place you have a full email device in your hands use the mail feature, what people see on this fad of SMS is beyond me. And finally in the third place if SMS is that important to you and your friends, then either get rid of the BB and replace it with a phone that supports SMS or if that is not to your liking, and prefer to keep the BB for its other great features, then get a second phone to support SMS and walk around with two devices. Then you will truly have the best of two worlds, and by the way as a separate side bonus, you will aso get the adorable cute ringtones that others like so much as well.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Closed Thread