Old 02-01-2006, 09:09 AM   #1
misquote
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon
Default Epocrates

Please Login to Remove!

For all the medical BlackBerry clients out there:

I recently emailed Epocrates and asked if they had ANY plans on developing software for BlackBerries. Here is the response I received:

Quote:
Thanks for your message.

Unfortunately, the Blackberry does not have an operating system that is capable of running our software at this time. Our software requires an operating system that allows for the use of a stylus with a touch screen. If the Blackberry develops this capability, then we may consider developing for this handheld.

I will pass your message on to our product development team for consideration however.
I like the spin that the "hardware" does not support their software. Last time I checked, software is developed to work with the OS, not vice versa. Looks like I'm going to have to find an alternate app for the physicians.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:29 AM   #2
jwaters
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel

Another limitation is the amount of space on the BB's. The epocrates database takes up quite a bit of room. I believe they have a web based application now that you can get to. I'll try and find the url.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:15 AM   #3
DocGo

Model: 9800
PIN: ask me via PM
Carrier: Rogers

I tried using the free online epocrates but couldn't log in using BB. Of course, it works fine with my regular desktop PC. Maybe the site is not BB friendly.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:14 AM   #4
AbbeyRue

Model: 9000
Carrier: TMO

LOL! Here is an exchange I had with Epocrates last month.

ME:
I see in your FAQ:
The Blackberry is designed primarily for email and brief text messages. In the future, we may consider a Blackberry version based on market adoption, so please be sure to check back periodically.

The BlackBerry device has evolved quite far in the past 4 years and does much more that just e-mail and brief text messages. BlackBerry devices now support SD memory expansion, hi-res screens, high-speed processors, EDGE/GPRS/GSM/EVDO wireless connectivity and much more.

Do you have plans to support BlackBerry anytime soon?
Epocrates:
Good day.

Thanks for your message.

Unfortunately, the Blackberry does not have an operating system that is capable of running our software at this time. We do not have current plans to develop a Blackberry version of Epocrates.

I will pass your message on to our product development team for consideration however.
ME:
I think you are missing a large market by passing on the BlackBerry. Here is a snippet from RIM's 2006 3rd Quarter results:

"Approximately 875,000 BlackBerry subscriber accounts were added in the quarter. At the end of the quarter, the total BlackBerry subscriber account base was approximately 7 million. Revenue and subscriber account additions will not be impacted by the restatement referenced above."

That's 7 million active BlackBerry users. WOW!
Epocrates:
Good day.

Thanks for your message.

Unfortunately, the Blackberry does not have an operating system that is capable of running our software at this time. We do not have current plans to develop a Blackberry version of Epocrates.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:57 AM   #5
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900

Berry411 has an Epocrates plug in. I'm not a doctor but it works for me.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:40 AM   #6
BlackberryEMS

Carrier: at&t

I have not tried it in a while, but I have heard good things about PEPID, which does have a BB compliant option as well as a fairly robust wireless option. Several physicians I know use and like this product...
Chris
Old 08-20-2007, 11:57 PM   #7
AbbeyRue

Default EPOCRATES goes Beta on BlackBerry

Epocrates running on

I just received an e-mail from Epocrates stating they are looking for Beta testers for their BB version of Epocrates. You must take a survey to be considered for the the Beta. Here is the URL to take the Epocrates survey...

http://epocrates1-metrics.custhelp.c...ys/ws?_133=225

Full e-mail follows:
Dear Epocrates Supporter,
Thank you for your interest in the BlackBerry platform for Epocrates. We are currently recruiting users to participate in the upcoming beta test of our Epocrates Rx drug reference product on BlackBerry.

Beta versions of software products are not perfect or complete, and therefore we depend on our beta testers to find and report problems/bugs with any part of their experience. However, please be assured that our customer support technicians are on hand to restore your application quickly should any problems occur.

The beta test is scheduled to begin during or around the week of September 10th. If you are interested in this opportunity, please click on the survey link below. Please be aware that if you are selected to participate in the beta program, you will need at least one hour to install and test the application, as well as an additional 15-20 minutes to report your findings.

We currently have quite a large number of people interested in beta testing this product. Please complete this survey no later than Wednesday, August 29th to be considered for participation in the beta test. You will be notified via email if you have been selected to participate in the beta test.

Please click on the link below to start the survey.

Click Here

--------------------
Be sure to complete your survey by 8/29/07 in order to be considered for participation in our Beta Test program.

Thank you once again for assisting us in our development efforts.

Best regards,
The Epocrates Team

Epocrates Inc.
1800 Gateway Dr.
Suite 300
San Mateo, CA
Old 08-21-2007, 09:32 AM   #8
Inphektion
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: (¯`·.¸at&t¸.·´¯)

yea I got the same email, finally! I can't imagine they are still doing a great business on palm devices. About time they move to BB.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:55 AM   #9
zvandiver

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

Has anyone heard back from Epocrates about the beta test? I sent them an email, and got a reply back about the survey and that the test would start around Sept. 11. I have heard nothing since then.
Zane
Old 09-21-2007, 04:56 PM   #10
rcdunham

Model: 8830
Default epocrates

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquote View Post
For all the medical BlackBerry clients out there:

I recently emailed Epocrates and asked if they had ANY plans on developing software for BlackBerries. Here is the response I received:

I like the spin that the "hardware" does not support their software. Last time I checked, software is developed to work with the OS, not vice versa. Looks like I'm going to have to find an alternate app for the physicians.
I searched the internet for substitutes for the efficient Epocrates drug system, and found the ridiculous Pepid and the PAINFULLY SLOW Lexicomp (which has to down load each request and supply each answer through the Internet). The Epocrates tech people have been telling me for 3 months that they are working on a beta version for BlackBerry. Anybody know if anything else is out there or if Epocrates is getting their act together?

Thanks
Old 09-21-2007, 04:59 PM   #11
tjk1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmobile

i guess they just don't wanna make money
Old 09-21-2007, 05:08 PM   #12
rcdunham

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjk1 View Post
i guess they just don't wanna make money
Everybody in this business wants to make money. I would love to try their beta version, but from their posting, I'm too late for that chance. As for their competition, it is faster to look up drugs in my physician's handbook than to wait for Lexicomp server to respond to the initial signing-on effort. Pepid was also extremily slow and filled with tons of irrelevent information (such as defining how to properly abandon a sinking ship!). Although the Epocrates info takes up lots of room, that's what cards are invented for and the searches on the device is nearly instantaneous. A lot of my fellow physicians have BlackBerrys (about the best device on the market to stay in contact and to be informed), and we are all suffering....
Old 09-21-2007, 05:33 PM   #13
zvandiver

I had the chance to try the beta last week. On Monday I had to take a survey about how the beta worked, and I got a phone call late that day asking for feedback.
The beta worked very much like the Palm version I had used previously. It did seem to start a little faster than I remember the Palm version doing. I did use the SD version for Palm, and the Blackberry beta was completely in RAM.
I have used Tarascon since I got my Curve, but it was terribly slow.
I was very pleased with the beta, and I am looking forward to the final release.
Epocrates did not indicate when the final release will be, but I hope it will be soon.
Zane
Old 09-21-2007, 06:02 PM   #14
DocGo

PIN: ask me via PM
Carrier: Rogers

I have tried the beta as well. I really wish they would implement external card support. It uses too much RAM. Other drug database apps I have tired...Lexi-Drugs is a bit slow because it has to connect online to get the info you need...PEPID is quite fast and has external card support...I haven't tried Tarascon.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:57 PM   #15
BB8100
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold

Pepid and Tarascon user. Pepid is very difficult to get drug interactions to work and is nonintuitive. Tarascon loads into ram with no card support. Not too slow but very intuitive. Tarascon wins. Also used MCS health in the past.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:55 PM   #16
moukiman

Default Skyscape

Skyscape sells formulary and Rx Drugs for 10$
The formulary is desktop only but the RxDrug works on BB nicely.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:55 PM   #17
DrTacoElf

Model: 8700g
Carrier: Tmobile

Anyone have any idea about when epocrates will be released for blackberry. I'm trying to decide whether or not to spend $ on pepid or tarascon. Thanks!
Old 10-03-2007, 03:19 PM   #18
Epocrates

Model: 7100T
Default Important Epocrates Info for BlackBerry

Hi all,

Since everyone's shown interest, we're giving an early notice of Epocrates' upcoming release of a new version designed exclusively for BlackBerry devices. In response to user requests, our engineers have been working hard over the past several months to develop a product that finally takes full advantage of BlackBerry's unique format. Users will enjoy the convenience of over-the-air installation, wireless drug updates, user-friendly navigation, and authoritative content. As early as November, clinicians will be able to use the popular Epocrates drug reference on a BlackBerry device of their choice. Check Epocrates.com for the latest information on this release.

Thanks for all of your support!

- The Epocrates Team
Old 10-05-2007, 01:43 PM   #19
zvandiver

I just got the Epocrates October newsletter, and it confirmed a November release date.
Just the other day I got an update message for the beta version I am using. It was done OTA. The only difference I noticed was that the scheduled OTA drug database updates now work. I have mine set for M-W-F at 7:30 am, and it has worked the last two times.
Zane
Old 11-09-2007, 12:31 AM   #20
Lnewberry

Carrier: verizon
Default Epocrates for Blackberry is here!

I just checked the Epocrates website, and it is now available for Blackberry. I had signed up for their email notification but had not heard back. I just downloaded it onto my 8830 (it must be downloaded wirelessly and instructions are on their site) and it works beautifully!
Closed Thread