BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 07:13 AM   #1
Private_MitchConnor
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8520
PIN: Ask...
Carrier: Rogers
Default How reliable is the 8520 Curve. And is it fixable if something goes wrong?

Please Login to Remove!

Hello.

BlackBerry newb here. Just bought a blackberry 8250. And I;ve gotta say I love blackberry's. lol so easy to use. Al-thought I love the device. I'm not to sure how durable it is. I'm locked into another 3 years with my carrier. And the phone it self looks kind of cheap. I'd prolly buy the higher end version, but I love the media buttons on top, so easy to use, and never hit a wrong button by accident.

So my main question is. How durable is the Curve 8520's??

And if my 8520 ever breaks down. Are they easy to fix? I would fork over 100$ top fix phone, but I don't want to buy a 500$ blackberry if this 8520 breaks after warranty which is only 3 months. And having those buttons basically in the screen is just asking for something to go wrong.

I basically just need this phone to last 2 years.

I bought an otter skins, and have a screen protector on her. Any other suggestions???

Thank-you very much in advance.

Last edited by Private_MitchConnor; 04-26-2010 at 07:15 AM..
Old 04-26-2010, 07:43 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Private, welcome to the BBForums.

The 8500 series really hasn't been out long enough to judge it's long-term durability. That said, it was offered as a lower end alternative device. You have a one year manufacturer warranty (not sure about your three months, maybe that is a Rogers thing?) which covers most everything except physical and moisture damage. My son has had the 8520 for about six months with no problems.

An otter box and a screen protector are perfect. Keep it away from moisture (including bathrooms during a steamy shower).
Old 04-27-2010, 08:09 AM   #3
Noodle22
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

Three months means they got it through the Out of Warranty program. It's an alternative solution for those who are not eligible for an upgrade and will instead opt for this program.

Edit: And if its through OOW, it's only a 12 month term from the day the phone was taken. Please look at your terms of service and terms of conditions that you recieved with the device. Through regular hardware upgrades you get a one year manufacturer warranty and Rogers allows you to upgrade 24 months after your last HUP or activation date. At some times you will be eligible to upgrade early between 12 and 24 months if you have a multi line account with high revenue or just a single line with high revenue and good tenure. Though that early upgrade option only applies to one line, not all. Once one line takes it the others cannot.

Treat it like an electronic device, a good case will take you farther.
blue.

Last edited by Noodle22; 04-27-2010 at 08:11 AM..
Old 04-27-2010, 12:45 PM   #4
dkf747
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: TMO

I see no reason to think it is less durable than our 8700g or the 7290 before it, and they were extremely durable phones. The only new thing is the trackpad button. I think that will outlast the trackwheels on the older devices though. I could be wro0ng, but after using it for several months I think it will last a long time. Just my opinion though.
Closed Thread