BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 11:51 AM   #1
arej00dazed
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Anybody else experience bad BT conn. outside?

Please Login to Remove!

I recently tried use my 8130 (os 4.3) and my moto S9's outside to go biking. well just walking outside holding my phone caused it to break up and when I put the phone in the case on my bike, forget it. virtually non-existent. Both with fully charged batteries. Is this common? really friggin annoying, was hoping to use my S9's outside this summer.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:09 AM   #2
arej00dazed
Thumbs Must Hurt

ttt
Old 05-27-2009, 09:17 AM   #3
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

Have you tried the S9's with another device? Might be a good way to tell if the issue is with the BlackBerry, or elsewhere.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:07 AM   #4
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

The S9's appear to be very limited in either range or directionality - especially when OUTSIDE.

While at the gym, the BB in a small "fanny" pack at my hip pocket area works fine with almost no breakup in signal. Same fanny pack in my house in same hip location , fine, walk out the door and it starts to break up badly. So I presume that the BT signals bounce off surfaces in the house/gym (I did not think radio waves did that kind of reflecting) and reach the BB but once outside, the BT signals just radiate into the air.

What I've found does work, place the BB in the top flap pocket of a small day pack - kind of at the base of my neck or shoulder blade level and that generally does work fine for walks - 4 miles or more and continues to work with only rare break ups. I don't use headphones while biking - just my issue having been struck from the rear, I want to hear death coming the next time!!!!

Last edited by FF2; 05-27-2009 at 10:08 AM..
Old 05-28-2009, 06:15 AM   #5
arej00dazed
Thumbs Must Hurt

Im not so sure if its the signal bouncing (this case NOT bouncing) off of items and walls, but maybe more along the line of the sun's rays dissrupting the signal. When I went hiking in the winter, I would clip my case on the hanging tag of my heavy jacket, which in turn would lay at the base of my neck and not be bothersome. In biking however, I dont have that option (and I ride a bike path AND check behind me often, so no worries bout getting ran over). I do have a hydro pack that I never wear that I could clip it on, however I really dont like wearing anything but clothes when I bike cause they'll just get sweaty. And I dont have any other BT devices to test it on. However, a friend of mine has the same 'phones but a windows based phone and he doesnt have a problem. But that really dont help me much, cause it could still be one or the other. Just wondering if theres anyway to boost the signal or something to make it work better w/o wearing my BB around my neck..................
Old 06-18-2009, 12:11 PM   #6
trbloomer
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint
Default Same issue

I think its a combo of the phones and the BB. I have the same problem, I tend to just keep the phone in my hand. A friend of mine with the same headset but a different phone not winmo but something else they work fine for her.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:01 AM   #7
Domestique

Model: 8200
Carrier: Fido

I believe the problem is with the BlackBerry. A couple weeks ago I could use the BlackBerry with the Motorola S9 without any issues. It was fantastic. I don't know what happened, but now I have the same problem as the OP.

I regularly use the S9 with my laptop. The range is very good without breakups. As soon as I try to use the the S9 with the BlackBerry--inside or out--unless the blackberry is one foot away from the S9 and behind my head, I get issues.

Tonight I will do one more test today and try my Curve with the BlackBerry Audio Gateway. I'm willing to bet I will get dismal results as when using the S9. I will comment back.

Is there a way to boost Blueooth power on the BB? Even if it's a third party app I'd be willing to install and use it. Haven't looked at the APIs yet, I'm wondering if they provide access to bluetooth power tweaking.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:43 PM   #8
new memberr
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100T
Carrier: orange
Default Bluetooth headphones

The answer to the problems of bad signal outside and a waterproof/sweatproof solution is a new product due out soon from Mi-Sport [inside info!] at mp3players.us.com. Firstly the mp3 player is built in, like their old product, and waterproof. It will also be bluetooth to stream music to the headphones from the phone or take a call, but the headphones have been specifically made super sensitive to the bluetooth signal to avoid drop out outside. This will also drastically increase the inside range from the standard class 2 10m without being class 1 bluetooth which is around 100m and a strong signal. I think it`s out sometime in January.

Last edited by new memberr; 11-23-2009 at 02:46 PM..
Closed Thread