BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 10:14 PM   #1
RZOCONNOR

Default What's the best Bluetooth Headset for the 7250?

Please Login to Remove!

What's the best Bluetooth Headset for the 7250?
Old 02-23-2005, 11:39 PM   #2
barjohn
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700
Carrier: AT&T

I just got a Motorola HS 850 and am using it with it. Since I have only used it for one day, I will wait to give my evaluation until I have more experience with it. I have also paired up the 7250 with my Lexus Bluetooth system. I have found a problem that I can't identify yet. In the past I have used the car's Bluetooth system with my 7100t and other than the issues of getting my address book on the car's system it works fairly well. The sound in the car is a little distorted but usable; however, the receiving party often complains that they can't hear me or that the sound is too distorted. Part of it is due to road noise being picked up by the microphone.

The 7250 is much cleaner sounding (as is the XV6600) in the car. I don't yet know about the reciever's sound quality. However, I find that even though the unit is paired up and connected, when I place a call from the car's controls (not directly from the phone), it acts like it is dailing but no ring tone is ever heard and it never connects to the other party. If I turn off Bluetooth and turn it back on and repeat the process it works just fine. I have noticed that this happens after I have been using the phone with the Motorola HS850, close the boom on the 850, get in the car and let it pair with the car and this is when it happens. I'm not sure if it is related to having a pairing with the 850 or a bug in the 7250. I will conduct some ecperiments when I have some time and post my results.

For more information see barJohn Reviews It
Active PIN 203A5535
Old 02-23-2005, 11:45 PM   #3
Roguebishop

I use the jabraar 250 dont have any issues with it have been using it for a few weeks now. IM in sales and on the phone all the time, im so use to it that I forget im wearing it.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:15 PM   #4
BB_WayCool
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I agree with Roguebishop. First tried the HS850 with my 7250 and had to return it due to echoing badly on the receiver side. I have been using the BT250 for about a week and am very satisfied.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:01 AM   #5
barjohn

I have now been using the HS850 for a couple of days and no one has complained of echoing or anything else. They say I sound completely normal and they can't tell I am on a cell phone. My side sounds very good unless I turn up the volume too high where it starts to distort.

I know two days is too short a time to make any conclusive judgements but so far so good. THe flip on mike is really great, since I don't wear it all day.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 02-25-2005, 10:19 PM   #6
RZOCONNOR

Well it looks like I have narrowed it down to two choices....the Jabra 250 and the Motorola HS850.

Hmmm.....which one to chose?!?
Old 02-26-2005, 07:49 AM   #7
monstermike

I've recently used the Moto HS820 and the Jabra BT800. Here's my take on those models

Moto HS820

Pros
Light, almost don't notice it's there.
Fits snugly againest your ear.
Comfort, you almost forget it's there. (repeating theme)
Simple to use - one button does it all. A lot to be said for simplicity.

Cons
Hard to hear. Had to use full volume and concentrate to the other person. Could present a problem in high noise areas. Often had to press the ear piece hard against my hear in these situations.

Note: Make sure you fully charge it before using it or the person you are talking to may complain of echo. Fully charging it resolved this issue.

Jabra BT800
Pros
Feature Rich - rings and/or vibrates!
Can make calls from the headset using the headset to people that have called you.
Caller ID (number only) appears on the headset.
Good speaker and easy to hear the caller

Cons
Heavy. (ier than the Moto)
Fit - Some time pulls away your ear when you are bending over side ways.
Comfort - Heft made it uncomforable to wear for long periods of time. (big issue)
Feature Rich = complicated to use. not always good. Basically my non techie friends could use the Moto how they would never use this one.
Answer button not intuitive. I think it should be the big button but it's one of the smaller ones.

Overall I like the weight (light) and simplicity of the Moto over the heft and rich features of the Jabra. the jury is still out on which I will ultimately chose but I think it might be tilted towards Moto right now. Good luck. This is a fun problem to have.
Old 02-26-2005, 11:25 AM   #8
barjohn

While the HS850 isn't as light as the 820, it has good volume and is very comfortable. I am one of those people that hate wearing headphones and I find this one comfortable enough to wear for long periods. Ease of use is also a plus as is the flip out microphone to turn on and off. Sound quality for me has been very good even in my high electronic noise home office with a server running, 2 desktop computers, WiFi 802.11b & g, Other bluettoth and a laptop.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 02-26-2005, 06:24 PM   #9
RZOCONNOR

I'm wondering about walking down the streets of downtown Chicago---would the HS850 be hard to hear? Other than that, I am leaning towards the Motorola HS850.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:00 PM   #10
barjohn

Has anyone tried the Plantronics M3500? It looks like it too might be large and heavy but some members think it has the best sound quality. Any comments?

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 03-01-2005, 06:34 PM   #11
j_hizzo

Model: 8839
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_WayCool
I agree with Roguebishop. First tried the HS850 with my 7250 and had to return it due to echoing badly on the receiver side. I have been using the BT250 for about a week and am very satisfied.
did u try exchanging it for a different unit of the same model? possibly it was a doa
Old 03-03-2005, 06:36 AM   #12
SinistarSA

Default Bluespoon AX

Has anyone tried the Bluespoon AX. I am torn between it and the Jabra BT800
Old 03-03-2005, 09:12 AM   #13
SECI

Model: 7100
Carrier: Nextime - Nextel
Default Sounds like

The Motorola is the way to go. Anyone recommend a place to order it from? How long does the battery last?
Old 03-03-2005, 10:50 AM   #14
barjohn

I went out and purchased a Jabra BT800 (paid full retail $149 from CompUSA so I could return in 21 days if dissatisfied) and will compare the two (an HS850)on an upcoming trip to D.C. to see how they each handle the noisy airport environment, electrical interference, on a plane, etc. I will report on the results as I develop them. I will also compare them on the 7250 and the 7100t. Should be interesting. Last night I tried the two with a call to a friend and asked them how each sounded one right after the other so they could compare them imediately. While I could hear a small difference (the BT800 was a little cleaner sounding) he said that he could hear more background noise with the HS850 than with the BT800 (I was sitting next to three computer systems (one is a server) and they are noisy. My first impression of the BT800 is that 1) it is definitely heavier 2) Way more complicated to use with 3 buttons plus a jog wheel and each button behaving differently if it is a tap, a press (1 sec) or a press and hold (5 sec). Think about how many combinations that all amounts to. The UI needs work. The HS850 is very simple and easy in comparison. (Oh! I forgot the additional button for pairing.) Also, I could not find a way to transfer the call back to the phone without disconnecting the call and it is not in the manual. As to comfort, the HS850 is easier to put on and more comfortable to me. I don't like wearing headphones and find any uncomfortable very quickly but I can wear the HS850 for a longer period. Of course the final test is the sound quality since this is what it is all about. On that issue I will have to await my upcoming trip. I will also test in the office today and continue testing through the weekend. Stand by for N E W S!!

UPDATE: You transfer calls back to the handset from the handset. It can't be done from the headset.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 03-03-2005, 12:03 PM   #15
SECI

Model: 7100
Carrier: Nextime - Nextel
Default Nice

Now thats going to be some research. I will wait for you accessment. Thanks Barjohn
Old 03-03-2005, 06:05 PM   #16
PingGuy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300

I can't wait to hear the report, those two headset's are my frontrunners right now. Have a fun trip.

Previous: Nextel BB7520 w/ Plantronics Discovery 640
Old 03-04-2005, 12:06 AM   #17
barjohn

I performed a restaurant test tonight and here are the results:

Using the 7250 with the HS850, the BT800 and by itself.
The noise level was very high which made it a good test environment.

HS850: My end: Sound was loud and clear and I could hear over the background noise. Other end: The background noise was very hard on the listener and she complained that she could barely hear me.

BT800: My end: Sound was loud and clear and I could hear over the background noise. It was slightly better than the HS850. Other end: She could hear the background noise and it made it hard for her to hear me but it was not as bad as the HS850.

Phone: My end: Sound was not as loud but I could hear ok though not as well as with the BT800. Other end: She could hear far less of the background noise and could hear me much better than with either headset.

While I still have musch more testing to do and I hope to record some tests for you, it appears that the noise cancellation feature on the BT800 or the noise cancelling mike on the HS850 do not work as well as the noise cancelling mike built into the 7250. I was hoping for better results but this is just one test and I was calling to a cell phone. Since her circuit is a variable in the equation I still need more tests to feel that I can difinitively say what works best. Stay tuned for more or as Paul would say..The rest of the story...

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 03-04-2005, 04:06 PM   #18
barjohn

I conducted another test and the results conflict somewhat with the prior test at the restaurant.

I called my answering machine from my living room and had the room quiet and then with the TV at normal or slightly above listening levels and recorded with HS850, BT800 just the BB7250, quiet and with background noise. Then Iwent and listened to my recordings.

The BT800 was hard to understand as the voice was choppy when the background sound was on but it was fine when it was off. I think this has to do with the way it does noise reduction. It either clips peaks or tries to drop sounds from a distance. The result is not very good.

The HS850 was easier to understand even though the background was easily heard and it was fine without the background noise.

The handset was best of the three providing a far superior sound and less background noise than either headset.

One thing you all may want to try next time you are using a BT headset is to ask the other party how you sound then ask them to wait for a second and switch back to the handset and ask them how you sound. You may be surprised at their answer. More to come...

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 03-04-2005, 08:24 PM   #19
markadmin

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon
Default Sony HBH-200 causes 7250 to reboot randomly

I tried the Sony HBH-200 causes BB to reboot randomly. I am back to the BT250 seems to be working great.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:54 PM   #20
barjohn

Have you tried the test I suggested? I would like to know what callers on the other end think. Also, try it in a noisy environment like a bar or night club.

Active PIN 203A5535
Closed Thread