Old 12-18-2006, 10:21 AM   #41
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Model: 666
Carrier: ?

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier
Yanno, I have to laugh at the bias shown by your "Fleabay-esque" reference. I just bought a RIM-branded HS-655 on eBay. It was IN STOCK, offered by a wireless dealer with 2,119 feedbacks, 100% positive. I confirmed BY PHONE that it was RIM-branded, that it was brand new, and still sealed in full retail packaging with all accessories. AND, for the best of all, I only paid $69.95 for it, plus $9.95 shipping. But you go ahead and call it "FleaBay" and keep paying almost DOUBLE for stuff while you look down your nose - keeps the good deals for others! I'll enjoy mine AND my savings, with my almost year-old 8700c, which I also bought from eBay...
I agree. I have always gotten (bought and sold) good deals with eBay. So the 64K question is then, what is the benefit of getting the RIM version of the 655? Is there less delay with connection, or should I go with the plantronics? Voice dialing is nice but not necessary. I don't mind it coming in bubble wrap as long as it works.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:01 PM   #42
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucejr
I agree. I have always gotten (bought and sold) good deals with eBay. So the 64K question is then, what is the benefit of getting the RIM version of the 655? Is there less delay with connection, or should I go with the plantronics? Voice dialing is nice but not necessary. I don't mind it coming in bubble wrap as long as it works.
I received my RIM HS-655 on Friday, and have used it for the last 3 days now. Its replacing the 645 I was previously using, and here are the pros and cons of the two, in my opinion.

Pros:
  • No delay - I was skeptical, but its true - big difference (to be honest, I'm a bit ticked at Plantronics - they SHOULD update the firmware on ALL the units to eliminate the delay - don't think there's any downside to the firmware upgrade)
  • Pocket clip on the holster is MUCH sturdier construction - I had broken two of the fragile clips on my 645
  • earpiece attachment IS more secure and solid than it was on the 645
  • I hear only the RIM version allows voice dialing on the Pearl, but can't confirm since I'm using an 8700c which doesn't have voice dialing

Cons:
  • Doesn't come with the AAA charging tube, all the Plantronics branded ones do - can be purchased separately for $29.95
  • gloss black "underbelly" of the HS-655 is VERY prone to fingerprints & smudging, compared to the silver satin finish of my 645
  • You pay a premium over the equivalent Plantronics version - got the HS-655 without the AAA tube and with no charger included for $69.95 - don't mind the charger as I have plenty, and am using the AAA tube from my 645 (but it doesn't match in color)

Bottom line for me is - I'm glad I bought it for $69.95, as the "no delay" and sturdier pocket clip so I don't have to continue buying holster tubes is worth it for me. The clip was a problem for me since I often clip it to the placket of polo shirts I wear, when I don't have a pocket, and the material is thicker - so was more wear/tear on the clip - although I thought the design was pretty fragile/bad.

If you don't already have another unit to steal the AAA tube from (or wouldn't use it - I use mine almost exclusively to charge - rotate rechargeable NiMH AAA cells in it), will only use the pocket clip in REAL shirt pockets and want the additional charger - than you're paying a pretty large premium to lose the 1-2 second delay, which although annoying, I was living with.

The cheapest you can get the RIM HS-655 is from Direct Connect Wireless on eBay HERE which is where I bought mine. He was wonderful to deal with, called me by phone when he found out that his were the same OEM packaging from the distributor that everyone else was getting, to make sure I still wanted it. He sells it for $69.95 plus $8.95 shipping, but doesn't include any charger with it. But I think the cheapest you can get it anywhere else is about $90, and the charger can be had for a LOT less than $20. To be equivalent utility (for me) to the Plantronics version though, if you don't already have one you'd have to add the AAA battery tube for another $29.95 plus shipping from some other source - so you'd end up well over $100 with a charger and AAA tube. OTOH, you can buy the Plantronics version 655 from NewEgg HERE for $69.95 plus $4.95 3 day shipping, and it includes a charger AND the AAA charging tube for that price.

So, that's the comparison.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:31 PM   #43
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Model: 666
Carrier: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier
I received my RIM HS-655 on Friday, and have used it for the last 3 days now. Its replacing the 645 I was previously using, and here are the pros and cons of the two, in my opinion.

Pros:
  • No delay - I was skeptical, but its true - big difference (to be honest, I'm a bit ticked at Plantronics - they SHOULD update the firmware on ALL the units to eliminate the delay - don't think there's any downside to the firmware upgrade)
  • Pocket clip on the holster is MUCH sturdier construction - I had broken two of the fragile clips on my 645
  • earpiece attachment IS more secure and solid than it was on the 645
  • I hear only the RIM version allows voice dialing on the Pearl, but can't confirm since I'm using an 8700c which doesn't have voice dialing

Cons:
  • Doesn't come with the AAA charging tube, all the Plantronics branded ones do - can be purchased separately for $29.95
  • gloss black "underbelly" of the HS-655 is VERY prone to fingerprints & smudging, compared to the silver satin finish of my 645
  • You pay a premium over the equivalent Plantronics version - got the HS-655 without the AAA tube and with no charger included for $69.95 - don't mind the charger as I have plenty, and am using the AAA tube from my 645 (but it doesn't match in color)

Bottom line for me is - I'm glad I bought it for $69.95, as the "no delay" and sturdier pocket clip so I don't have to continue buying holster tubes is worth it for me. The clip was a problem for me since I often clip it to the placket of polo shirts I wear, when I don't have a pocket, and the material is thicker - so was more wear/tear on the clip - although I thought the design was pretty fragile/bad.

If you don't already have another unit to steal the AAA tube from (or wouldn't use it - I use mine almost exclusively to charge - rotate rechargeable NiMH AAA cells in it), will only use the pocket clip in REAL shirt pockets and want the additional charger - than you're paying a pretty large premium to lose the 1-2 second delay, which although annoying, I was living with.

The cheapest you can get the RIM HS-655 is from Direct Connect Wireless on eBay HERE which is where I bought mine. He was wonderful to deal with, called me by phone when he found out that his were the same OEM packaging from the distributor that everyone else was getting, to make sure I still wanted it. He sells it for $69.95 plus $8.95 shipping, but doesn't include any charger with it. But I think the cheapest you can get it anywhere else is about $90, and the charger can be had for a LOT less than $20. To be equivalent utility (for me) to the Plantronics version though, if you don't already have one you'd have to add the AAA battery tube for another $29.95 plus shipping from some other source - so you'd end up well over $100 with a charger and AAA tube. OTOH, you can buy the Plantronics version 655 from NewEgg HERE for $69.95 plus $4.95 3 day shipping, and it includes a charger AND the AAA charging tube for that price.

So, that's the comparison.
Nope, I am going to go with dcwhome on eBay. I have always had good luck and with buyers protection, I have insurance. Thanks for the info!
Old 12-18-2006, 04:29 PM   #44
ewr6785

Model: 8703c
Carrier: Verizon
Post Packaging confirmation

FYI, this note is on the blackberrystuff.com page for the HS 655

NOTE: This item is brand new in bulk packaging. The manufacturer was not able to provide a retail package solution in time for the Holiday Shopping Season.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:51 AM   #45
BBMatt007

Model: 8100
Default Static on HS-655

hello all:

I too have tales to tell from my experience with ShopBlackberry.com but first a question....I just received my second HS-655 headset from SBB.com and I hear quite a bit of static. Has anyone else had this issue or is it just my continued bad luck with electronic type stuff or is it because I am on Cingular and I hear they are having some sort of technical problems?

It is almost like the old days of television where you had to hold the rabbit ears of the antenna just right. I can obtain a clear signal but when I turn my head from side to side, I'll hear the buzz of static.

About my ShopBlackberry experience...this is my 3rd 655 headset for my Pearl. I first bought the Plantronics 655 and learned that it had the delay and could not do voice dialing and so then I bought the HS-655 from SBB.com.
It arrived in the plain box with no instructions but I had instructions from the previous purchase of the Plantronics. Long story short, the unit was defective. Went through many pointless conversations with both the Plantronics customer service and the ShopBlackberry customer service and both blamed the other. Returned the unit and waited for the HS-655 to come off back order again...Also, waited for notification that credit was forthcoming on my credit card...hasn't happenned yet. Then purchased another HS-655 and now I have static....should I just grab my ankles?

Thanks for any insight.

Matt
Old 12-27-2006, 07:00 PM   #46
srotman
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

i have lots of static as well and it drives me crazy!

first i called plantronics and they told me to make sure that the phone is on the same side of my body as the headset.
... are you kidding me!!!???

not to gloat but i have used about 10 bt headsets over the last few years and NEVER have i had the kind of static i have now with my hs-655 and then they have the balls to say i have to make sure its on the same side of my body as the phone?!

doesnt that defeat the purpose of bluetooth, that being a wireless connection to go up to ~60 feet? as far as im concerned, im glad BB fixed the delay that the plantronics branded version has, but im convinced that their DSP is the root of all the problems ive read about regarding this piece.

thank god i didnt pay much for this headset because now im going to have to re-invest in something else. oh well. looks like its back to the reliable SE headsets for me.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:48 PM   #47
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by srotman
i have lots of static as well and it drives me crazy!

first i called plantronics and they told me to make sure that the phone is on the same side of my body as the headset.
... are you kidding me!!!???

not to gloat but i have used about 10 bt headsets over the last few years and NEVER have i had the kind of static i have now with my hs-655 and then they have the balls to say i have to make sure its on the same side of my body as the phone?!

doesnt that defeat the purpose of bluetooth, that being a wireless connection to go up to ~60 feet? as far as im concerned, im glad BB fixed the delay that the plantronics branded version has, but im convinced that their DSP is the root of all the problems ive read about regarding this piece.

thank god i didnt pay much for this headset because now im going to have to re-invest in something else. oh well. looks like its back to the reliable SE headsets for me.
I get frustrated with it too. I''ve had this static with both my hs-655 from shopblackberry and all my motorola's. Keeping them on the same side of the body gets rid of it. I'm wondering if it has more to do with the BB than the headset.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:53 PM   #48
srotman

it doesnt.

no i dont work for SE. no im not an SE fanatic. for the most part i dont even like their phones, nor Sony as a company.

BUT. i will say that having experience with 4 different SE models, a couple MOTOs, 3 Nokias and this hs-655, the SE's kick ass!

i dont know what they do, but in all my years of using them ive had no battery problem, no delays, no echo, no feedback for users on the other end. nada! just a working headset.

screw DSP or any other junk they can throw in there. i want a headset. plain and simple. i want it loud so i can hear when on the highway. i want it to do a good job of silencing the surrounding so the other end can hear me and only me. and i want to know that on days when i have lots of calls that it will follow with me. SE does.

they may not be the "coolest" looking units out there, but joe shmo can have his cool hs-655 and keep repeating "hello? i cant hear you" while im actually having a real conversation

before the hs-655 i was using my se hbh-660 and had NO problems with static. i could go 2 rooms over and leave my phone on my desk and had barely any static when i was getting out of range. otherwise it was crystal clear. and obviously the phone and headset werent "on the same side of my body". so take that plantronics!
Old 12-28-2006, 01:33 AM   #49
DallasFlier

Quote:
screw DSP or any other junk they can throw in there...

i want it to do a good job of silencing the surrounding so the other end can hear me and only me.
Uhh, that's exactly what the DSP does. A good mic with no DSP will transmit ALL the sounds it picks up, that's what a mic DOES. You need DSP to differentiate between your voice and the background sounds and damp the unwanted noise. So what you just said is basically "screw DSP, but of course I want it to do what can only be done with DSP."

Quote:
they may not be the "coolest" looking units out there, but joe shmo can have his cool hs-655 and keep repeating "hello? i cant hear you" while im actually having a real conversation

before the hs-655 i was using my se hbh-660 and had NO problems with static. i could go 2 rooms over and leave my phone on my desk and had barely any static when i was getting out of range. otherwise it was crystal clear. and obviously the phone and headset werent "on the same side of my body". so take that plantronics!
:shrug: That's exactly how I use my 8700c at home with the HS-655, and the Plantronics 645 before that - I can walk to the opposite side of the room or into the next room while talking and it all works fine - I don't get the static you're talking about.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:36 AM   #50
John Clark
BBF Moderator

I can walk around the room with mine too but if I put the phone in the holster on my right hip and the headset on my left ear....static every time.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:16 AM   #51
DallasFlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark
I can walk around the room with mine too but if I put the phone in the holster on my right hip and the headset on my left ear....static every time.
Interesting - kinda strange, but interesting! Guess I've been lucky, I've always worn my phone case on my left hip, since long before BlackBerry days - and use the headset in my left ear.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:10 PM   #52
srotman

i use my headset and my phone on the right side. same side. still have static.

and regarding the earlier comment about DSP, yes it is tech that reduced surroudning noise, but when i said forget dsp, i mean forget the dsp tech that comes specifically with the hs-655. in my opinion, those having static problems can attribute them to the dsp specifically with this unit.

last night i switched back to one of my SE headsets and im so much happier now. no static at all.

one plus that i will say about the hs-655 that i would be a fool to discount is the battery life. i was VERY impressed compared to other units ive tried
Old 12-28-2006, 02:42 PM   #53
DallasFlier

Quote:
i use my headset and my phone on the right side. same side. still have static.

in my opinion, those having static problems can attribute them to the dsp specifically with this unit.

last night i switched back to one of my SE headsets and im so much happier now. no static at all.
With all due respect, I think you're wrong about the static being attributable to the DSP. John Clark above in this thread said he's had the static from both the HS-655 and all his Motorola's similarly, when on the opposite side of the body, and there are reviews where its stated that the 645 (no DSP) will also have some static if on the opposite side of the body.

My guess, as an engineer is that its due to the mass and density of the human body between the phone and the headset. The more mass/density in between, the less signal is ultimately received. It also makes a certain amount of sense that your hbh-660 has less static in some situations. Its quite a bit bigger and weighs fully 2 1/2 times as much as the HS-655, so its not unreasonable that it might have a bigger battery, transmit with a bit more power, and maybe have a larger antenna hidden inside its much larger body.

There are always tradeoffs. Personally, I love the small size/weight of the 655 - not because its "cool" but because its much more comfortable to wear for longer periods. And on the same side of the body as my phone, I just don't get the static that you complain about.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:06 PM   #54
croman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: Rogers

Just got my HS-655 last friday, and im loving it! bought it from dcwhome on eBay. No problems so far, everything seems great!!

brucejr: did you end up ordering from dcwhome as well?
Old 01-30-2007, 12:00 PM   #55
nvstrguy

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers
Default Need replacement parts

I too need replacement ear pieces and ear hooks. Faulty design, if you use the holder in your shirt pocket, the ear piece and or ear hook seem to always get knocked off when I put a jacket on. Anyone know where I can get replacement parts, that will ship to Canada? The Plantronics US site has them, but won't ship to Canada. Can't seem to find them on eBay, anyone have a link?
Old 01-30-2007, 12:22 PM   #56
DallasFlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvstrguy
I too need replacement ear pieces and ear hooks. Faulty design, if you use the holder in your shirt pocket, the ear piece and or ear hook seem to always get knocked off when I put a jacket on. Anyone know where I can get replacement parts, that will ship to Canada? The Plantronics US site has them, but won't ship to Canada. Can't seem to find them on eBay, anyone have a link?
I've bought replacement eargels HERE and had very good service - their prices are very reasonable and I see they have the ear hooks also in addition to the eargels. (Scroll to the bottom of the accessories listings.)
Old 02-05-2007, 04:21 PM   #57
mmulvey

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT
Default Other comments on HS-655

Here are my issues after using the 655 for about a month.

1. With the Phone (BB 8100/Pearl) set to vibrate, there is no way to discern between incoming text messages and phone calls - in the car, it is hard to discern the number of vibrations and dangerous to pull the device out of its holster and look at the screen. My older Motorola headset used to beep softly for incoming calls even with the phone in "vibrate" mode.

2. I have to use the "ear stabilizer". This becomes quite painful after a few minutes and the headset does not sit well - it points away from the side of my face - I have tried all three supplied ear buds.

3. The main button on the headset is quite stiff and hard to activate - my earlier Motorola headset had a large central button that clicked with a much lighter touch - with the HS-655, I have to hold the headset with two fingers while pressing the button with a third. Quite distracting (and therefore dangerous) to do while driving.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:49 AM   #58
No Longer Registered.

For such an expensive headset, majority of you have problems with this headset? Most of you are buying this item way cheaper than any retailer getting it at cost. So I hope you aren't getting knock-offs

Here's the couple of photos of my stocks....

And oh btw, the Discovery 665 is now available

Old 02-06-2007, 12:55 AM   #59
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Thanks! I've never seen the box! Mine came in bubble wrap...broken

But, overall I like it. It works well.

*I definitely didn't get a knock off as I paid a small fortune for mine from shopblackberry.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:04 AM   #60
No Longer Registered.

Did you get your carrying pocket clip replaced from the place you got it from? I was reading one of your old post and I believe you mentioned that John. I just don't know why other retailers would not replace them as they are still on warranty. *shrugs*

Closed Thread