BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 11-07-2005, 11:37 AM   #1
bdestephen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Default BlackBerry Connect Vs. BlackBerry Built In

Please Login to Remove!

Is there a difference in the two terms? (BlackBerry Connect and BlackBerry Built In)

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:17 PM   #2
amukhey
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

BB Connect - low-functioning, limited remote device management and
security - TMO will not carry this version.

BB Built-In - full BB functionality on multi-vendor device. TMO desires
this solution, but will not carry unless either 1. the RIM NTP patent
suits are resolved, or, 2. RIM can indemnify TMO for any liability that
may come to us as a result of NTP winning the patent fight. RIM has
rejected #2, and #1 is anyone's guess at this time.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:30 AM   #3
saldous
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

So you work for T-Mobile then!
Old 11-08-2005, 11:27 AM   #4
Bunker
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290

Quote:
Originally Posted by amukhey
BB Connect - low-functioning, limited remote device management and
security - TMO will not carry this version.

BB Built-In - full BB functionality on multi-vendor device. TMO desires
this solution, but will not carry unless either 1. the RIM NTP patent
suits are resolved, or, 2. RIM can indemnify TMO for any liability that
may come to us as a result of NTP winning the patent fight. RIM has
rejected #2, and #1 is anyone's guess at this time.
Wow, you are way off in what they are about. No idea is that is TMO's reasoning, but it looks flawed from my understanding.

BB Built In - RIM Code, Java based - basically manufacturer provides a JVM to run this on. Looks like BlackBerry interface - which is no suprise. Only one out there at the moment - the Siemans SK65. Funtionality at the 3.6 handheld version level. Haven't seen any new announced devices since the Siemans

BB Connect - RIM licenses basically the stack and capabilities, Manufacturer writes the client to this spec and keeps the look and feel of the device. Nokia 9300, O2, Palm, Sony Motorola, etc all currently go down this path. Functions are available to the manufacturers up to about the 3.6 level but the manufacturer decides which ones they implement. They are under no obligtion to take any function they are provided.

The feature sets are almost equal - but BuiltIn is a much more 'BlackBerry' like experience since you get everything, while Connect you may not depending on the manufacturer.

We are supporting quite a few devices in our envrionment for our Asia users and a couple in Europe.

I am told that the next version of both early next year will provide full 4.0 capabilities.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:08 PM   #5
bdestephen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Bunker,

That is great information and great detail. Thank you.

BB Connect seems like a good idea, but I have heard that it lacks major security features. The thing that I am concerned about is the ability to wipe the handheld from the BES and content encryption. (Which makes sense after learning that the current version of BB connect is at the 3.6 level) It is good to know that they will be providing a new version with 4.0 capabilities.

Since you stated you have a few devices with BB Connect, does the security policy that you inforce interfere with the other features of the devices?

Again, thanks for the postings all. Any other information on the topic (such as guestimated release date for this new version) is appreciated.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:27 PM   #6
Bunker
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdestephen
Bunker,

BB Connect seems like a good idea, but I have heard that it lacks major security features. The thing that I am concerned about is the ability to wipe the handheld from the BES and content encryption. (Which makes sense after learning that the current version of BB connect is at the 3.6 level) It is good to know that they will be providing a new version with 4.0 capabilities.

Since you stated you have a few devices with BB Connect, does the security policy that you inforce interfere with the other features of the devices?

Again, thanks for the postings all. Any other information on the topic (such as guestimated release date for this new version) is appreciated.
Content encryption is not available yet, but Device Wipe is w/ the current BB Connect feature set - IF the manufacturer decided to take it. Nokia decided not to as they wanted to promote their own way of doing this which made no sense to me but my RIM rep told me that it was their decision and they wouldn't be swayed. Ah well - hopefully feedback from customers have shown them that should include it in the next client.

It certainly is a concern for us security wise, but it was the same issue we were dealing with when we started w/ BlackBerry at the much older versions. We communicate to the Connect users exactly what risks they face and what precautions they should take. For one particular device we have added a third party password solution specifically to cover one scenario we want to avoid.

We generally encourage users to take BlackBerry over Connect. Our policies do not interfere with anything on the devices (an invalid policy is just not applied).

Also remember - when RIM releases the new BB Connect capability, then there will be a lag as the manufacturers write their clients/get the devices ready to utilize it. So it is not really when RIM releases a new version, but when the manufacturers take the new version and incorporate it.

BTW, most of our users who try BB Connect return the device and ask for a full BlackBerry. The users who have kept Connect are generally those who already had the device in question have kept using Connect although a copy of users really love their Nokia 9300 or their Sony P910i.

Bunker