Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 09:28 AM   #41
flightguy

Model: 8830
PIN: 32C0B75B
Carrier: Verizon
Default Still on the phone

Please Login to Remove!

Please send me a PIN message with your contact phone so I can tell you all of this over the phone.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:51 AM   #42
flightguy

Default Unlocked? Maybe, Maybe Not!

OK here goes... After about an hour and a half of being on the phone here is the conclusion.

First I called Verizon to ask if I could verify that my phone was unlocked. The VZW Rep advised "this is something the manufacturer of the phone should be able to verify. Hold on I will transfer you".

Second: Transferred to Erin at RIM Technical Support. Erin was diligent however had no definitive way of verifying that the phone was indeed unlocked. She said ordinarily we would simply put in a different SIM card and see if the phone would works however, VZW choose to diable the GSM capabilities while the phone was still in USA. After checking with some of her colleagues she told me it "looks like your phone is unlocked however no guarantees".

Erin then transferred me back to VZW where I spoke with Amy in Global Data Support. Amy was tried extremely hard to help me. Her supervisor also had a unlocked 8830 so she went and got his phone and we did a few things. If you go to Options>Advanced>SIM> and it says Security Disabled then your phone is "most likely" unlocked. They did state however this is no guarantee and there will be no way of knowing until I am overseas. I will be in Israel August 7th.... I will be able to let you know then.

Sorry for such a long post.... Just wanted to be thorough. Any questions please let me know.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:52 PM   #43
he1neken
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

Doesn't sound like the person at RIM or VZW knew what they were talking about. In the SIM menu after typing MEPD the only field you should be worried about is the "Network" field. If it says Active beside it, your phone is locked.

The "Security Disabled" has nothing to do with the carrier lock.

Last edited by he1neken; 07-12-2007 at 09:53 PM..
Old 07-13-2007, 12:30 AM   #44
flightguy

Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by he1neken View Post
Doesn't sound like the person at RIM or VZW knew what they were talking about. In the SIM menu after typing MEPD the only field you should be worried about is the "Network" field. If it says Active beside it, your phone is locked.

The "Security Disabled" has nothing to do with the carrier lock.
Even though the GSM feature is completely disabled per RIM and VZW contractually while the phone is in the States? Your saying no matter of this it should not say Active beside network?

Please elaborate someone who knows specifically about the Verizon 8830 and the GSM feature in the States.

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2007, 05:26 AM   #45
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightguy View Post
Even though the GSM feature is completely disabled per RIM and VZW contractually while the phone is in the States? Your saying no matter of this it should not say Active beside network?

Please elaborate someone who knows specifically about the Verizon 8830 and the GSM feature in the States.

Thanks!
Unlocking/Locking has absolutely NOTHING to do with whether or not the GSM feature of the 8830 will work within the US.

The reason the 8830 will not work on GSM carriers in the US is because the phone itself doesn't support the GSM frequencies used by US GSM carriers. It only supports frequencies used by overseas GSM carriers.

You can unlock the phone all you want... and it still will not be able to be used on a GSM carrier in the United States.

Verizon didn't "disable" anything with regards to GSM.

The Verizon rep you spoke to hasn't a clue. Options > Advanced Options > SIM Card > Security Disabled doesn't mean that the device is unlocked or "most likely" unlocked. It's got nothing to do with unlocking a phone.
As mentioned above, you can verify that your phone is unlocked by doing one of two things:
1. Options > Advanced Options > SIM Card > m e p d > Network should say Inactive or Disabled
2. Put in a foreign SIM card while overseas and you're able to make/receive calls.

Last edited by penguin3107; 07-13-2007 at 06:37 AM..
Old 07-13-2007, 06:09 AM   #46
BlondeBoyL
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: N/A

I think the only way this is going to be settled is to wait and see what happens when you go over seas. You have your global sim, so when you get to isreal pop it in and see what happens. Take a cheap unlocked gsm phone with you just incase and let us know what happens.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:24 PM   #47
shatter30

Model: Tour

Just thought I'd share this link that was published on CNET today. It's very interesting. It specifically mentions some carriers and talks about other countries policies..
Unlock the cell phone? It's a high-stakes debate | CNET News.com
Old 07-16-2007, 11:17 PM   #48
RoC1909
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
No... your phone is locked.
As I mentioned above, Network - Active means your phone is locked.

An unlocked phone will report 'Network - Inactive'
If it slapped him in the face he/she probably wouldn't have known.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:30 AM   #49
Xaneth
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondeBoyL View Post
Hey sorry for the delay ofelas. click the link that JRSCivic98 posted. I put all the details, pictures and videos of the phone being unlocked in there. Also I am no longer the only person with it unlocked. Another person has successfully done it. All the details and such are all at that link.
Interesting! I wasn't aware that Verizon used SIM cards? We used to be with Verizon prior to February, and every time we needed to put a phone number on a different phone, we had to call in an "ESN change"
Old 07-18-2007, 12:09 PM   #50
parisot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
PIN: Doesn’t matter
Carrier: Centennial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaneth View Post
Interesting! I wasn't aware that Verizon used SIM cards? We used to be with Verizon prior to February, and every time we needed to put a phone number on a different phone, we had to call in an "ESN change"
That is because the BB 8830 is a "World phone" meaning that the phone is both CDMA and a GSM phone. This phone runs on Verizon’s network while in the USA then when the user travels outside of the country and does not have coverage my Verizon anymore, the phone switches to GSM(uses the sim card). I believe that the GSM portion of the phone is locked to Vodafone.

Normally a Verizon phone would not have a sim card, but the 8830 is an exception to this.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:36 PM   #51
Xaneth
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by parisot View Post
That is because the BB 8830 is a "World phone" meaning that the phone is both CDMA and a GSM phone. This phone runs on Verizonxxx8217;s network while in the USA then when the user travels outside of the country and does not have coverage my Verizon anymore, the phone switches to GSM(uses the sim card). I believe that the GSM portion of the phone is locked to Vodafone.

Normally a Verizon phone would not have a sim card, but the 8830 is an exception to this.
Cool! Seems like it would be unlocked out of the box. Too bad they made it proprietary. I remember our Verizon rep in Texas mentioned that Verizon was expanding to work overseas by first quarter 2006. Guess that never materialized...

Last edited by Xaneth; 07-18-2007 at 02:38 PM..
Old 07-18-2007, 02:45 PM   #52
veco

Carrier: bell canada
Default can we unlocked 8830?

I believe that nobody answered original question "So, does anyone finally know how to unlock the Verizon 8830 (I'm willing to pay a service to do this)?" In my case I am with Bell Canada and would like to unlock GSM portion of this phone and will to pay for this. All sites I found on network look like scam. Can anybody confirm that it is possible to unlock 8830 by using external help (not Verizon, Bell or Telus).
Thanks
Old 07-18-2007, 05:48 PM   #53
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by veco View Post
Can anybody confirm that it is possible to unlock 8830 by using external help (not Verizon, Bell or Telus).
It's currently not possible. There aren't any third-party unlockers who have codes for the Verizon 8830.
Give it some time. It'll happen eventually.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:53 PM   #54
FBlack

I do not believe anyone has or will figure out how to unlock the 8830. I even called that one web site that says it can, but the guy said no.

So pay full price and get a Verizon phone and they will unlock it or pay full price to Sprint.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:29 AM   #55
BlondeBoyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
Unlocking/Locking has absolutely NOTHING to do with whether or not the GSM feature of the 8830 will work within the US.

The reason the 8830 will not work on GSM carriers in the US is because the phone itself doesn't support the GSM frequencies used by US GSM carriers. It only supports frequencies used by overseas GSM carriers.

You can unlock the phone all you want... and it still will not be able to be used on a GSM carrier in the United States.

Verizon didn't "disable" anything with regards to GSM.

The Verizon rep you spoke to hasn't a clue. Options > Advanced Options > SIM Card > Security Disabled doesn't mean that the device is unlocked or "most likely" unlocked. It's got nothing to do with unlocking a phone.
As mentioned above, you can verify that your phone is unlocked by doing one of two things:
1. Options > Advanced Options > SIM Card > m e p d > Network should say Inactive or Disabled
2. Put in a foreign SIM card while overseas and you're able to make/receive calls.
Penguin,

I started another thread asking what the unlocked sprint phones say in the network section and one of the people with a sprint phone replied back and said theirs says "Network Active"

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...onal-sims.html

And we all know the sprints come unlocked.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:29 AM   #56
BlondeBoyL

By the way here is another sprint user who has the 8830 and their network says "active".

Sprint 8830 Users w/ Sim cards - Page 2 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

I think its is as I said before, since the 8830 phones are CDMA and GSM, I think the rules regarding the "Active" and ""disabled" status of the phones are not really applicable here since we cant go active on a GSM network until we go overseas.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:34 AM   #57
Fire7

Carrier: Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky View Post
Sounds like a scam to me. All his domains and contact information are private. There is not only no buy button but he provides instructions to unlock a GSM version of the 8800 passed off as a link to unlock an 8830. Someone had to take time to change this and perhaps he was able to somehow get hold of a laptop from the emergency room (sympathy ploy.) Sharing the information isn't a crime and I wonder if it's even legitimate.

From my discussion with some reputable unlockers they said it is almost impossible to unlock the 8830. I was unhappy to hear this but they cited several reasons why they will very likely never have a solution.

The solution is as follows. Never ever buy anything from Verizon Wireless if you can help it since, other than perhaps a slightly better signal at the moment, you will be forced to cough up significantly higher fees for add-ons. Since you are locked into a 1 or 2 year contract with them for service, be very sure that you are getting a significantly better signal. If you travel internationally think about your purchase. If you care about GPS think about not using Verizon otherwise it will cost you $10 per month plus tax to use their service even if you already paid for TomTom. The chance that this phone will be unlocked in response to Sprint's offering is almost zero from my knowledge. This is because of Verizon's relationship with Vodaphone and its GSM capabilities.

Sorry to hear about your experience and thank you for sharing it with many other hopeful people. If I can help you I'm glad to provide legal assistance if there is any application.

Ok i'm confused. isn't the 8830 already unlocked? I've got 8830 From Canada but its not locked is it any different down there?
Old 07-22-2007, 05:37 AM   #58
Fire7

Carrier: Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondeBoyL View Post
Penguin,

I started another thread asking what the unlocked sprint phones say in the network section and one of the people with a sprint phone replied back and said theirs says "Network Active"

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...onal-sims.html

And we all know the sprints come unlocked.

does the 8830 verizen version locked?? because mine from bell its not
Old 07-22-2007, 06:29 AM   #59
BlondeBoyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire7 View Post
Ok i'm confused. isn't the 8830 already unlocked? I've got 8830 From Canada but its not locked is it any different down there?
The sprint 8830's come unlocked, withe verizon 8830's are locked. You have to get verizon to unlock it for you as no one else has the codes.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:37 PM   #60
veco

Carrier: bell canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire7 View Post
does the 8830 verizen version locked?? because mine from bell its not
QUOTE how do you know that it is not locked? I got mine from Bell as well and they specifically said that unit is locked.
Closed Thread