Old 02-13-2006, 10:43 AM   #1
jeffharris
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Future x-berry device question

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I just got my BB 8700c (unlocked for T-Mobile). The main reason I got it, is the fact that, with the T-Mobile international roaming option (or, for sure the Cingulars' plan) my data usage worldwide (for both e-mail and web browsing) through BB and/or BES should be all inclusive from now on. For me, that's a biggie.

My question is this. Will the future device that are being announed and released, with bb connect (Moto-Q, Nokia E61, Sony Ericsson P990, some WM5 devices, etc.) also work with data that will be inclusive? I know much of this has to do with BES, and/or the blackberry.net APN usage.

So, my questions boils down to, must I use only my 8700c in the future for the all inclusive (especially browsing) data, or will these other devices allow me to enjoy that?
Old 02-13-2006, 11:02 AM   #2
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Jeff-

I have learned working for Cingular to never discount the possibilities of the Wireless industry. They may or may not have them in the near future, but if not sooner, defin later.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:08 AM   #3
jeffharris
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900

Thank you for the, albeit ambiguous response -- so, you are saying that even with BB connect, these devices will not be able to enjoy unlimited data natively in these devices? I.e., they will have to impliment them as time goes on?

I guess the question I am asking, is, will these devices support and rely on the BB service book format right out of the box.

Maybe no one knows this yet
Old 02-13-2006, 11:28 PM   #4
deezmfnutz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: STORM
Carrier: vzw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffharris
Thank you for the, albeit ambiguous response -- so, you are saying that even with BB connect, these devices will not be able to enjoy unlimited data natively in these devices? I.e., they will have to impliment them as time goes on?

I guess the question I am asking, is, will these devices support and rely on the BB service book format right out of the box.

Maybe no one knows this yet

Good question, I would also like to know the answer. For those of you who are using BBconnect on a non-RIM handheld are you able to cruise the internet via your BBunlimited plan or do you only get e-mail service? Specifically, I am curious how this will work with a NON-BES system e.g. using RIMs BWC/BIS service.

Anyways, I am going to pull the trigger on a Nokia E61 as soon as they are available (supposedly any time now). I will report back with my results.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:57 PM   #5
southwestcomm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Many
Carrier: Sprint

I can only speculate that if you are using a device that utilizes BB Connect the carrier will require a BB data plan.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:57 AM   #6
Bunker
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffharris
Hi,

So, my questions boils down to, must I use only my 8700c in the future for the all inclusive (especially browsing) data, or will these other devices allow me to enjoy that?
Actually it has more to do with how the carrier wants to charge you and what features of BB Connect a device manufacturer includes rather than the actual device or BlackBerry service itself.

As BB Connect moves forward more and more standard BlackBerry features will be offered for inclusion, and only time will tell which ones the manufacturers choose to include.

Decisions like leaving the 'kill' feature off the Nokia 9300 still have me shaking my head. What the hell were Nokia thinking??? Actually I know what they were thinking - they wanted people to use the Nokia Kill ability even though it is unusable and annoyng versus sending a kill from the BES Admin. Hopefully they learn their lesson with the E-series

Bunker
Old 02-18-2006, 07:39 PM   #7
AlwaysOn607
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl

Deezmfnutz, I will be looking forward to your experiences with the Nokia E61 when you get it. I am strongly considering this model too.