BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 04:30 PM   #21
fredbill

Model: 8800
Carrier: cing

Please Login to Remove!

OK - As you described above, that process did cause an error - but it did not crash the 8800. Following was the message "Uncaught exception: Field added to a manager while it is already parented." BUT this only happens the 2nd time that i try to correct this error in the same message. The first time that I try it, it gives me an oddly formatted screen with three choices - Add to dictionary, Ignore and Full Menu.

I can only click on Full Menu and then I get a close option. I hit close and then i get prompted to save or discard changes. If I save changes then the correction is applied, and I am back in the compose screen. This error is not unique to "testt". It actually happens with any spelling error - and in the same way - the first error causes the odd three choice screen and any subsequent use of lexspell in the same message causes the uncaught exception.

Let me know if you need more info.

Last edited by fredbill; 04-18-2007 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: spelling!
Old 04-18-2007, 08:15 PM   #22
kolev
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: TMobile

What is strange here is that extra menu that shows on 8800 only.

Do you get the same result when invoking from the main launcher or only through email composer?
Old 04-19-2007, 03:33 AM   #23
acnst
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: not configured
Carrier: T-Mobile

I can reproduce the issue on my 8800. When the error appears, it looks like the mail application crashes - it is not available anymore in the task list (ALT & ESC). When I click the mail/messages icon it takes 2 to 3 seconds before the application opens again. But the device itself does not crash or reset.

for Microsoft Exchange

Old 04-19-2007, 08:12 AM   #24
jamesrhart

Carrier: O2

Count me in too! Happy to help to test new software
Old 04-19-2007, 09:06 AM   #25
Photon

Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolev View Post
Sorry for the short delay folks...been busy yesterday.

First and above all, please download the current release (1.45) of LexSpell from Welcome to BEIKS Mobile! .

Then get it to crash on your device in a reliable manner.

I was told to do it this way: create new email, set subject to "Test" and body to "testt.", then invoke LexSpell through the menu.

(note you must have run LexSpell at least once after download in order for the menu to become available)

After you correct the "testt" to "test" it should crash, or so I am told.

We just can't get that to happen on neither simulator, nor 8700 flashed to the same OS 4.2.1 nor any other device.

So for a starter I am looking for a very reliable way to reproduce the error as well as darn good description of what happens.

Once we have that, we'll move on to downloading the 1.5 beta and watch out to isolate and resolve the problem.

I did the check. When I invoked LexSpell while composing a message I got the "Uncaught exception: Field added to a manager while it is already parented." The message was lost and LexSpell was no longer running. I was dumped into the next running application. I started LexSpell from the home screen and did several spell checks with no problems. I hope this helps.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:50 AM   #26
fredbill

Carrier: cing

I concur that the error is only within the email compositon screen.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:22 PM   #27
daward
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&T

I got the same error as Photon....uncaught exception: Field added to a manager while it is already parented...

When typing another message with a different misspelling, LexSpell finds the error and allows you to correct it, but when finished the spelling check, it does not allow you to send until you have clicked "full menu", then click "Close" then click "save" and then "send". It would make more sense if you were offered to send after the spell check completion.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:56 PM   #28
DaddyFizzle
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900

I never recieved a link...I'd like to test it out...
Old 04-19-2007, 10:36 PM   #29
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

I can correct the mis-spelled tesst but then Lexspell appears to want me to correct another word but there's no word (totally blank). I can choose to Add to dictionary or Ignore. Whatever I choose then brings up the Uncaught exception: Field added to a manager while it is already parented error.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:29 AM   #30
donc36
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800c

I'd be happy to participate. I have an 8800, and have a registered version of LexSpell 1.4
Old 04-20-2007, 07:35 AM   #31
donc36
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbill View Post
OK - As you described above, that process did cause an error - but it did not crash the 8800. Following was the message "Uncaught exception: Field added to a manager while it is already parented." BUT this only happens the 2nd time that i try to correct this error in the same message. The first time that I try it, it gives me an oddly formatted screen with three choices - Add to dictionary, Ignore and Full Menu.

I can only click on Full Menu and then I get a close option. I hit close and then i get prompted to save or discard changes. If I save changes then the correction is applied, and I am back in the compose screen. This error is not unique to "testt". It actually happens with any spelling error - and in the same way - the first error causes the odd three choice screen and any subsequent use of lexspell in the same message causes the uncaught exception.

Let me know if you need more info.
That's exactly what I see regularly on the 8800. I also saw a crash after composing a message with test mispelled 3 times. I ignored the first, and selected the correct spelling from the list for the 2nd instance, edited the suggested word for the 3rd. Then I got the Uncaught exception : Field added to a manager while it is already parented:
Old 04-20-2007, 11:09 AM   #32
mdlissner
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PM me the link and I will join in the beta testing of V1.5.

I have seen this error in the past.

I see the error in the same way as Takeshi above, it corrects testt, and looks like it wants me to correct another word before the crash.

Last edited by mdlissner; 04-20-2007 at 11:13 AM..
Old 04-20-2007, 01:17 PM   #33
sads25

Model: 8300
Carrier: at&t
Default errors received

Quote:
Originally Posted by daward View Post
I got the same error as Photon....uncaught exception: Field added to a manager while it is already parented...

When typing another message with a different misspelling, LexSpell finds the error and allows you to correct it, but when finished the spelling check, it does not allow you to send until you have clicked "full menu", then click "Close" then click "save" and then "send". It would make more sense if you were offered to send after the spell check completion.
I get the same errors described on the aforementioned item (and mentioned by others).

However, I get the error every time I use teh spell checker and without regard to the words being changed. The program goes through a full spell check, it then pops up with no word showing, I click ignore and then spell checker crashes, the email i had composed is lost. When I click on the messages icon to go back into my email list it take a few seconds longer to load than is usual.

The above happens while I have a full menu open.

If you ahve any more questions/need informaiton, let me know.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:34 PM   #34
kolev
Thumbs Must Hurt

This is the bug we are trying to find and resolve, but I have got only one answer to the question if you are getting it in the regular application or only when called through an email.

As I said before, this bug only shows on 8800 and not any other device (haven't tried it on 8300 yet) which leads me to believe there is either something screwed in it or something stronger in all others.

Whichever the case, though, I'll be uploading another version to test in a short while...we have to get to work around this problem!
Old 04-20-2007, 02:01 PM   #35
mdlissner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolev View Post
This is the bug we are trying to find and resolve, but I have got only one answer to the question if you are getting it in the regular application or only when called through an email.

As I said before, this bug only shows on 8800 and not any other device (haven't tried it on 8300 yet) which leads me to believe there is either something screwed in it or something stronger in all others.

Whichever the case, though, I'll be uploading another version to test in a short while...we have to get to work around this problem!
Kolev - only when initiated through an email spell check. Never see it anywhere else on my 8800.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:01 PM   #36
kolev
Thumbs Must Hurt

Open the browser on your BlackBerry and type in the following:

http://www.beiks.com/download/ls146b.jad

You may need to reboot the device after intallation for this version to take over the old one.

Compose a new email.
Type a single word "testt" in the body and invoke LexSpell through the menu.

The familiar LexSpell window should show up, but the word "testt" will NOT be displayed at the top where you'd usually see it. Do not be alert by that, it is normal for this build.

Scroll down to the list of suggestions, the first of which is "test" and click is as you normally would.

If you get a crash let me know.

If you do not get a crash try that a few more times, eventually with more incorrect words. You will NOT be seeing them at the top, so you wouldn't know what are you correcting, but the goal here is to see if that's what causing the crash.

While digging for this I found what seems to be a classic bug in all OSes across all devices - when a system debug message is on the display and the user clicks the wheel/ball, the ball RELEASE event goes not to the OS which produced the message, but to the parent application; this may be related to why some of you see that "full menu" that shouldn't be there at all.
This may or may not be the case, though, as there is no error message in that case...but we'll see...

Thanks for helping us deliver a better product.

As soon as we're done with that we're moving towards 1.5 testing...and I promise you it'll be quite reliable so there'll be more fun and less reinstalling...
"A pocket full of knowledge"
Old 04-20-2007, 04:49 PM   #37
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

I followed the instructions, when I press return on the word "test" to make the replacement in LexSpell, all the word choices go blank. Only Add to dictionary and Ignore on the screen. If I press Ignore I get the crash "Uncaught exeception: Field added to a manager while it is already parented."

Regards-Michael G.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:35 PM   #38
mdlissner

Default V1.46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgerbasio View Post
I followed the instructions, when I press return on the word "test" to make the replacement in LexSpell, all the word choices go blank. Only Add to dictionary and Ignore on the screen. If I press Ignore I get the crash "Uncaught exeception: Field added to a manager while it is already parented."

Regards-Michael G.
I had the same experience with V1.46 on my 8800.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 04-20-2007, 05:44 PM   #39
acnst
BBF Moderator

PIN: not configured
Carrier: T-Mobile

Each time I try to correct the misspelled word, I will get the "Full Menu" entry. After escaping from this menu, and clicking either on "Ignore" or "Add to dictionary" I will get this error message:
Code:
Uncaught exception: Filed added to a manager while it is already parented. [OK]

for Microsoft Exchange

Old 04-20-2007, 07:45 PM   #40
kolev
Thumbs Must Hurt

thanks folks.

At least we know one place where the problem isn't.

Unfortunately there are a few more where it might be.

We'll take short while to come up with a version that will tell us as much as possible.

On another note...I have a goodie to those of you who provide good feedback, a little thank you to hold your spirits high. I'll be contacting you via PM.
"A pocket full of knowledge"

Last edited by kolev; 04-20-2007 at 08:46 PM..
Closed Thread