BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: Are you having issues?
Perfect - No problems 64 50.00%
Some, but with quick resolution 39 30.47%
Lot's, but I am going to stick it out 13 10.16%
I hate this thing. Give me my money back 12 9.38%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 03:38 PM   #1
Tifosi
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Angry Verizon 8830 – (WAS) Very Disappointing (BIG UPDATE)

Please Login to Remove!

PLEASE VOTE!

I am through the first week of owning my first BlackBerry. I have spent more time on the phone with tech support from both Verizon and RIM than I care to experience again. It took me two days to get my calendar to sync. Now that function works, but the mail is now down. It has taken me three days to try and get that to work now. We have gone all the way to a hard reset, but to no resolution. I can’t believe that both Verizon and RIM would put a product into the market that is so poorly tested and unready for use at the consumer level. At this point, I think the phone will go back to Verizon and I will go with a Palm product. It’s really too bad because I really like the platform of the 8830.

Last edited by Tifosi; 06-08-2007 at 07:30 PM..
Old 06-07-2007, 03:52 PM   #2
i-Berry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
PIN: 1234567890
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifosi View Post

I am through the first week of owning my first BlackBerry. I have spent more time on the phone with tech support from both Verizon and RIM than I care to experience again. It took me two days to get my calendar to sync. Now that function works, but the mail is now down. It has taken me three days to try and get that to work now. We have gone all the way to a hard reset, but to no resolution. I can’t believe that both Verizon and RIM would put a product into the market that is so poorly tested and unready for use at the consumer level. At this point, I think the phone will go back to Verizon and I will go with a Palm product. It’s really too bad because I really like the platform of the 8830.
Have you tried to get them to send you a replacement unit, Maybe its is just the Phone? There was a problem with one that I deployed and they sent out a new one right away. Don't get me wrong I HATE ALL CELL SERVICE PROVIDERS, but maybe it is just a bad unit.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:26 PM   #3
dbdynsty25
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: At&t

The only complaint I have is that I like the keyboard on the 8703 better...that's about it.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:38 PM   #4
BigPlaya

Carrier: VeeZeeDubya

The only problem that I have had was the calendar sync issue which was resolved with a service book update. I find this device much more pleasant to use on a daily basis than my old Treo 700w. It works great as a phone and voice dialing via BT headset is very well implemented (using a Motorola H700). I have also found that email pushed to the phone is nearly instantaneous as are replies. Another very nice addition to this BB is the spell-check feature. My wife really likes hers too. I agree with i-Berry, swap the phone out for a new one as it may be defective.

Last edited by BigPlaya; 06-07-2007 at 05:40 PM..
Old 06-08-2007, 12:41 AM   #5
BB8830
Thumbs Must Hurt

The 8830 is my first BB too. The calendar sync issue was a drag to deal with on a new phone. After the fix I did have to delete the calendar items from my BB to get past a separate problem, but since then no problems.

I like the phone and the interface a lot. I've had a Treo 600 and a Windows Mobile 5 XV6700. For me this is the best of the bunch. I love the push email for personal email accounts.

I do want to be able to change the Dimenson Today theme to get rid of the Applications selection and the call log to give more room for email and calendar.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:50 AM   #6
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Unfortunatly you can't change/modify the themes like that. What you see is what you get.

To those new BB users with the calendar issues. This is the first issue like this of the basic BB functions that I know of. RIM usually does a good job with these functions. In the past year RIM has really stepped outside their comfort zone of just a reliable email device. While I admit I have ranted recently about OS upgrades being more heartburn than excitement lately we do need to remember that some of this stuff is quite new and "on the edge" for RIM. The 8830 is actually a pretty amazing device. CDMA/GSM in one unit? All the media functions? That's quite a unit and all new to RIM. Anyway, I know it doesn't help with the calendar issues that have been plaguing the 4.2.2 devices and I would be upset as well, but at the same time, keep it in perspective. Keep the pressure on Verizon and RIM and hopefully they will get a fix out for this major issue with the device.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:31 AM   #7
bryawn

I'm also a new BlackBerry user, after giving up hope that there would be a vastly improved Treo any time soon. Compared to my old Treo 650, I'm very please with the overall quality and stability of the 8830. Not only is the device more responsive, it's quicker to find what I'm looking for. The interface is better and I'm finding plenty of apps available.

My compaints have to do with Verizon: MMS and GPS functions are disabled for no apparent reason.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:57 AM   #8
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530

Also a first time BB user. I love this phone, if I were having the problems you were having even after 1 day of email outage I would have requested a new phone. Especially after coming to forums like these and seeing that 99% of the people are not having issues with their email.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:55 AM   #9
li2327
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 30504C7A
Carrier: T-Mobile

I absolutely love my 8830. Bar far my best choice!!
Old 06-08-2007, 02:59 PM   #10
Tifosi

Okay. I got a new phone and all is well in the world again. I am not sure what happened in the seven days I had the other phone, but whatever. I hope to have better luck this time. Thanks for all you feedback.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:00 PM   #11
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

No problem, good luck with the new phone
Old 06-08-2007, 03:02 PM   #12
li2327
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 30504C7A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted (7130e: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Glad everything is working out for you.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:29 PM   #13
Tifosi

I can't believe this. The new phone I activated in San Francisco worked great when I was there. Now that I flew back to Denver, it has started all over again!!! I have no access to email, regardless of what the Verizon techs have me do. I am trying to have them get me over to RIM, but nothing as of yet...

More to come, I'm sure...
Old 06-08-2007, 11:54 PM   #14
Tifosi

Okay, so I have talked to yet another Verizon technician. Why is it that not one of them asked me to check what version of software was on the unit? Is that not the most logical place to start? It turns out that a new version of the software was posted on 5-31-07, but for some reason nobody told mexxx8230;.

I'm downloading as we speak.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:55 PM   #15
realestats

Smile 8830 and BMW

The bluetooth pairing has not remained connected in a 2006 BMW and because of it I have had many discussions with Verizon, Blackberry and BMW. They all know the problem and hopefully all are working to resolve it.

It is my first Blackberry or PDA/Cellphone and I am hooked after five days. It is just an amazing piece of technology which I am learning that I can not do without.

Rather than getting rid of the Blackberry, I will get another car whose bluetooth pairs and works.

I have much to learn but so far, I have few problems other than the bluetooth.

Len
Old 06-09-2007, 12:23 AM   #16
Tifosi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifosi View Post
Okay, so I have talked to yet another Verizon technician. Why is it that not one of them asked me to check what version of software was on the unit? Is that not the most logical place to start? It turns out that a new version of the software was posted on 5-31-07, but for some reason nobody told mexxx8230;.

I'm downloading as we speak.
Sure enough, it looks like that fixed the issue. I will give it a day or two before I declare total victory. Make sure you download both of the 5-31 updates from the Verizon site to resolve both Calendar Sync issues and Email issues. Too bad it took so many techs for one of them to think of this.

Last edited by Tifosi; 06-09-2007 at 12:31 AM..
Old 06-09-2007, 01:14 AM   #17
ggkid

Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Thumbs up Was unhappy, now extremely happy!!

Had a major issue with my BES email being delayed about 10-30mins, but found out that it had to do with my having used the "Switch Device Wizard" that is included in the Blackberry Desktop Manager. Not only was I switching devices on this one, I was switching wireless carriers from Cingy to VzW. I was very happy with the device, just not with the lag in email delivery. Now that I have wiped my device and started over fresh, I'm getting all of my BES email in under 5 seconds. Can't ask for better than that. This device rocks. Ringer could be louder, but other than that, no issues. I'm happy to be back with Verizon and happy to be toting around such a sleek device.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:36 AM   #18
MikesTooLz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: curve
Carrier: was Verizon 8830 now tmoble curve

Yes the phone has a couple issues, but I'm sure RIM will get it all sorted out.

cant wait for verizon to unlock the GPS.
Old 06-09-2007, 04:59 PM   #19
bb8830-nyc

Default keypad sucks

i cant stand the keypad color ... its not easily visible at any time ... may return mine just for that as i get a headache from typing and not seeing letters. anyway to change the keypad w/ a white/black format?
Old 06-09-2007, 05:13 PM   #20
slinky
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Verizon Sucks

I also have a challenging time with the keyboard but it's usable.

The reason the 8830 really sucks is because of Verizon. Unlike Sprint they have locked this phone up like Fort Knox. The global romaing is worthless because you have to use VZW for your service and the GPS apparently doesn't work with a number of apps either, due to the fact that Verizon intents to operate it's own service eventually. The locking is a horrible fact of life with anything you get from Verizon.
Closed Thread