Old 01-29-2010, 09:21 AM   #1
ubizmo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9780
PIN: ultimate
Carrier: T-mobile
Default Hourglass on startup

Please Login to Remove!

I'm not sure that this is a beta issue, but it seems to have started when I upgraded my 8900 to 5.x. I currently have 5.0.0.411 running on my 8900, but the problem was there with earlier versions as well. In fact, due to a camera hardware failure, I had to do a handset exchange, so the problem has also persisted across devices.

The problem is... When I reboot (either battery pull or alt-shift-del), after the device is running, I have an hourglass, blinking, for about three minutes. During this time, the device is operational but extremely laggy. Then it stops and all is well.

Recently, I noticed an additional oddity. After reboot, when I'd go into Media and check videos, some videos that I had deleted some time ago would seem to have reappeared. That is, they'd appear in the list, but they wouldn't play. Checking their file properties, they showed up as read-only. If I ran "repair" on the SD card, they'd go away, but they'd come back at the next reboot. I started to wonder if the hourglass problem had something to do with the SD card. I should add, however, that while I've been experiencing the hourglass problem I've gotten a new SD card, and the problem stayed the same. The zombie video issue is more recent.

Okay. I reformatted the SD card; no more zombie videos. But the hourglass problem is still there. I noticed that if I go into Media while the hourglass is blinking, and go into Videos, it sticks there, "scanning", about as long as the hourglass stays. Incidentally, I have about 15 short video clips downloaded from VuClip in there. No movies or anything like that. The SD card is 16 GB, with 10 GB free, but as I say, I had the same thing with my previous 2 GB card.

I tried turning off compression, and the first time I rebooted, there was no hourglass! Next time, however, it was back as usual.

I don't really know if this problem has anything to do with the SD card. It could take forever to scan the card because of the lag, rather than causing it.

I wonder if it could be caused by Visual VoiceMail being in the core apps now, but not actually in use. I'm happy with YouMail and haven't bothered with T-Mobile's VVM. Could the OS be trying to do something with VVM, causing the hourglass? I note that the VVM icon appears in my Switch Application ribbon anyway.

Another thing I noticed is that during the hourglass period, but not after, the Switch Application ribbon shows a "Group Calendar" icon. I gather that this is a part of BBM, which I don't use. I thought, maybe it's getting stuck looking for a calendar that isn't there. To test this, I tried setting up a BBM group, so that there would be a calendar for it. But this had no effect on the 3-minute hourglass.

That's it. I'm out of ideas. Sorry about the rambling post, but I thought it would be best to put as much info in as possible. If a moderator thinks this isn't likely a beta OS problem, I hope he or she will move the thread to a better home.

Thanks.

Ubizmo
Old 01-29-2010, 10:18 AM   #2
devnull
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: I747
Carrier: at&t

Have you taken the media card out and left it out? This may help narrow down the possible problems. In other words, if you leave it out, and the hourglass still continues, then you know its not related.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:45 AM   #3
ubizmo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9780
PIN: ultimate
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
Have you taken the media card out and left it out? This may help narrow down the possible problems. In other words, if you leave it out, and the hourglass still continues, then you know its not related.
I have not tried that. However, I just upgraded to beta 5.0.0.461, and I've tried rebooting twice. So, no hourglass problem. But I'll keep an eye on it and report back if it returns.

Ubizmo
Closed Thread