Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 04:20 PM   #1
imaryness

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile
Lightbulb blackberry curve water damaged? :(

Please Login to Remove!

I have a blackberry curve 8900 and its pretty new, only been used for a few months. I brought my phone to the club with me and apparently I sweated on it because at first i pressed the call key and I would get a letter instead. I turned it off and then turned it back on and after that none of the keys work. I can still recieve messages and calls everything in the phone works, and the trackball still scrolls. Only the keys dont press.. I tried putting in rice for a day and leaving it out to dry but what other things might I be able to do to fix it? :(
Old 02-15-2010, 06:02 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

You can try a battery pull. If it does have water damage, then it is probably too late to let it dry out.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 02-15-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
somerandomguy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: tmo

take the battery cover off (and remove batt) and look for a little white square. if that is even the slightest bit red, then you cant return to your carrier.

So, then you get to take the phone apart completely (Remove the keyboard from the MB) and let it sit in a warm oven (no more than 125 F) for a while or better yet just put it in the sun for a few days to get all the water dried out.

since oyu say it got wet because you sweated on it, i recommend you wash it off with DISTILLED WATER as this will help remove some of the other crap (like salts...which are bad for electronics) in your sweat.

get the phone all nice and clean and then put in oven / sun.

reassembel, and it should work. else, you did something wrong or the water damage is more than just water dmanage

NOTE: DO NOT, FOR ANY REASON get any liquids on the screen once you take it apart. rubbing alcohols and other solvents WILL **** up your screen. water isint too good for it either.

-- hhope that helps
Old 02-16-2010, 05:27 PM   #4
unclefester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerandomguy View Post
take the battery cover off (and remove batt) and look for a little white square. if that is even the slightest bit red, then you cant return to your carrier.

So, then you get to take the phone apart completely (Remove the keyboard from the MB) and let it sit in a warm oven (no more than 125 F) for a while or better yet just put it in the sun for a few days to get all the water dried out.

since oyu say it got wet because you sweated on it, i recommend you wash it off with DISTILLED WATER as this will help remove some of the other crap (like salts...which are bad for electronics) in your sweat.

get the phone all nice and clean and then put in oven / sun.

reassembel, and it should work. else, you did something wrong or the water damage is more than just water dmanage

NOTE: DO NOT, FOR ANY REASON get any liquids on the screen once you take it apart. rubbing alcohols and other solvents WILL **** up your screen. water isint too good for it either.

-- hhope that helps
Do not put the phone in the oven at all!! There have been cases here in Phx where people leave thier phones outside in 112 heat for too long and have actually fried the motherboard completely. Distilled water is also not a good idea, since any moisture at all can further damage the electronic components.

The best way to try to solve water damage issues is to take the phone apart as far as you are comfortable with (not necessarily entirely apart), and leave it in a bin of rice for a few days. The rice will absorb whatever moisture is left in the phone, and hopefully your phone will come to life again. Do not however run the phone while it is still wet. Doing this will damage the electronic components even more than they already are.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:46 PM   #5
somerandomguy
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclefester View Post
Do not put the phone in the oven at all!! There have been cases here in Phx where people leave thier phones outside in 112 heat for too long and have actually fried the motherboard completely. Distilled water is also not a good idea, since any moisture at all can further damage the electronic components.

The best way to try to solve water damage issues is to take the phone apart as far as you are comfortable with (not necessarily entirely apart), and leave it in a bin of rice for a few days. The rice will absorb whatever moisture is left in the phone, and hopefully your phone will come to life again. Do not however run the phone while it is still wet. Doing this will damage the electronic components even more than they already are.

i think the MB being fried has to deal with the UV radiation you guys get.

i have dried phones out with heatguns (200+) and other very hot things and have had no problem.

the oven has worked for me in the past where rice has been nothing more than a bit of a PITA (it sometimes can get sticky if it gets too wet... ewww)

Other things that usually work: submerge everything but the screen briefly in rubbing alcohol (this displaces water) and then bake in an over (not too hot, mind you!) to boil the alcohol away.

Depending on how bad the damage is (i had an old 8100 get but in a hot tub for ~ 2 min...) i usually take the screen completely off and then do a RO water rinse followed by an alcohol / hairdryer or oven dry.

also, the last thing you want to do is introduce other crap to the phone... that is why i say use the oven or the sun vs rice, compressed air or some other solvent (besides RO/distilled water) as they can/will introduce things to the motherboard.

Bottom line, various people will swear by different things, but your actions are your (and yours alone) responsibility. Neither i nor unclefester can be held responsible for what you may/will/can/should do to your phone as a result of what you read in this thread.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:22 PM   #6
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

A warm oven. Interesting. I will NEVER try that and would NEVER recommend it to someone else.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:26 PM   #7
somerandomguy
CrackBerry Addict

Warm being relative!

not warm by cooking means, but warm enough to gently encourage water break surface tension and transition into its gaseous stage

find out the lowest your oven will go to (usually 125-150) and set it there.

at those temperatures, the plastic shouldn't melt or even get soft... provided you dont keep the phone in there for *days*

How long you keep it in there depends on how wet the phone is, but ive never had to keep it in there for more than 20 or so min.

Or, if your impatient, you can spend 5 min with a hairdryer (which will get hotter than 125!)

To each his own.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:29 PM   #8
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Doesn't water turn to vapor at 212F?
Or did my chemistry fail me?

I will stick to the tried and true bag of rice
Old 02-16-2010, 09:46 PM   #9
imaryness

Model: 8900
Carrier: t-mobile

well i tried the warm thing but i tried to back up my info on my computer and now i have the white screen of death.. app error 200? .... fml
Old 05-28-2010, 08:48 PM   #10
kurichan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon BIS / BES

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Doesn't water turn to vapor at 212F?
Or did my chemistry fail me?
You just didn't listen to the part where they explained the difference between evaporation and boiling.

Water boils at 212F.

Above freezing, water is always evaporating because there are always molecules that are warmer (more excited) than others that break the water tension and evaporate off. Remember that the temperature of anything is only the AVERAGE temperature of all the aggregate molecules.

This is why sweating makes you feel cool. The hot liquid evaporates off leaving the cooler liquid behind which feels cool.

Heating any liquid warms (excites) more molecules and accelerates evaporation.
9630 #4 < 9630 #3 < 9630 #2 < 9630 < 9530 (returned) < 8703 < 7250
Old 05-28-2010, 08:56 PM   #11
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Always good to wake up a thread that's been dead for three and a half months
For a chemistry lesson. Bag of rice.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:53 PM   #12
Superh3ro
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Zain kw

i think the AC's on the motherboard is damaged
u just need to take it to a tech and he will replace the AC'S in it and ur good to go

xxx9608;xxx9553;xxx9612;xxx9474;xxx9608;xxx9474;xxx9553;xxx9612;xxx9553;xxx9474;xxx9474;xxx9608;xxx9553;xxx9612;xxx9474;xxx9553;xxx9608;xxx9474;
supexxx1103;xxx1085;xxx1079;roxxx63743;xxx1084;ac.coxxx1084;™
Closed Thread