Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
empeyg

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telus
Default Unable to change CICAL to default

Please Login to Remove!

I use Microsoft Outlook to manage my calendar, tasks, and memo's. I have a gmail account that I like to monitor for emails. I have added my gmail account to my unit. When I added my gmail account, I could no longer create appointments on my unit for the default (outlook) calendar. It always creates them for the gmail account. I need to change my cical to default, but I can't. The dropdown for the CICAL only shows my gmail address. Does anyone know how I can set this up properly.

Greg
Old 03-01-2011, 07:43 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: Unable to change CICAL to default

You will not see a choice named default in the drop down, just the email addresses that you have installed in BIS (I'm assuming we are talking strictly BIS, and not BES).

Desktop Manager will sync the calendar that is selected as the default CICAL in default services. (Set the default CMIME to the same address.)

If, on the otherhand, you have other email addresses in BIS and still only see the gmail address, that's a different story. Do a hard reset (battery pull with the power on, and wait at least 30 seconds before reinstalling the battery). If that doesn't fix it, resend service books.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
empeyg

Thank you for the response Ira. I have no access to any BES. I have the sync working through the desktop manager. My problem is that I can't create appointments in my bold calendar for the default CICAL. The appointments created on my unit are always for my gmail account.

Last edited by empeyg; 03-02-2011 at 10:32 AM..
Old 03-02-2011, 11:13 AM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

The default CICAL is what you set it to be in default services (unless something is changed with OS 6 in this regard). As I was trying to write above, it sounds like the default is the gmail address. You indicated that this is the only choice you see. In other words, the default CICAL is the gmail address right now and you have no alternatives. If that is the case, and if you haven't removed the other addresses from BIS, did you try the measures I suggested above? Resending service books will restore the CICAL service books for the email accounts you have added to BIS. Then you will have the option to change the default CICAL to another address. If on the other hand those other addresses are no longer setup in your BIS account, then add them back.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 03-02-2011, 12:19 PM   #5
empeyg

Thanks IRA,
What I did was delete the gmail CICAL entry in my service book. I can now create appointments for my Outlook. YES!

The only issue now is that I can't add attendees to the entries. Sorry to be a pain, I'm a newbie to this whole Blackberry world. My Windows Mobile did this stuff seamlessly. I could create meetings in it, then when I synched, it would send off the requests to the attendees.

Greg
Old 03-02-2011, 12:40 PM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Points of fact:

You cannot send and receive calendar appointments without the CICAL service book.

You will have multiple calendars if you have multiple email addresses, and a CICAL service book for each.

You, the user, identify the default calendar and messaging service in the device options.
Calendar invites are received using the default calendar, and sent using the default calendar and messaging service.

So, if you haven't done so, resend service books. Then change your default CICAL and default CMIME to the address you want to be the default. I believe after you send the service books you will see other options besides gmail, provided gmail is not your only email address in BIS.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:49 PM   #7
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

If I'm still not answering your question, take a look at KB17992-Using the Calendar application on a BlackBerry smartphone that supports multiple CICAL service books.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:56 PM   #8
empeyg

I guess I can't do this as gmail is my only BIS address and I can't use it for my calendar. Frustrating. My work email is only available through Outlook.

Thanks IRA.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

So you are also on BES as well as BIS?
Old 03-02-2011, 06:22 PM   #10
empeyg

Hi Ira,
No, unfortunately, I don't have BES available with Outlook (my work email). What I'm expecting is for my Bold to send out the requests when I sync using the desktop software. What I don't understand is why I can't add attendees. What difference does it make?

When I deleted the gmail CICAL entry in my service book, my unit now only has one calendar, the default calendar that sync's with Outlook through the DM. This is what I wanted, and it's all good. I just need the ability to add attendees to meeting requests.

Greg

Last edited by empeyg; 03-02-2011 at 06:30 PM..
Old 03-02-2011, 06:31 PM   #11
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I guess I don't understand what you are trying to do. Seems like I've given you the answer, but I haven't given you what you need.

Is gmail, then, the only email account you've added to your BIS? (If that's the case, then it would explain why gmail is all you see in default CICAL options. And I would bet that is the only calendar you see listed in calendar options. In other words, your @gmail.com address is your default calendar.)
Old 03-02-2011, 06:45 PM   #12
empeyg

Hi IRA,
You have given me part of the solution, and I thank you.
I'll try and explain this a different way:
Outlook (work account not BIS or BES) - Snyc'd via DM for the calendar, tasks, and memos.
Gmail (personal email) - BIS account to monitor my personal email.

When I created the gmail account, My Bold defaulted all calendar entries to this account. I could add attendees to these entries. But, I needed to add calendar entries into my Outlook Calendar. By deleting the gmail CICAL entry in my service book, I can now create entries into my Outlook calendary. But, I can't have attendees to these entries. That is now my only unresolved problem.

Does this help?

Greg
Old 03-02-2011, 07:15 PM   #13
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

That's the point you are missing. Before you added an email to your BIS, the calendar app on the BlackBerry used the base calendar, or whatever RIM calls it. If you looked in calendar options or the default CICAL options, you saw a calendar named default. And when you syc'd, that calendar sync'd with Outlook. But stop thinking of it as your 'Outlook' calendar. It was just the default calendar at that time.

When you added the gmail address to BIS and the service book was pushed to the BlackBerry handset, the gmail address was made the default and the base calendar went away. That's the way it works. When you deleted the gmail CICAL service book the gmail calendar was collapsed into the base calendar, the gmail calendar was removed, and the base calendar reappeared. With the gmail CICAL service book present, your calendar identified with the @gmail.com address is now the default calendar and that is what will sync with your Outlook.

If you were to add more addresses to BIS you would see additional calendars, and only the one set as the default CICAL will be sync'd with Outlook.

So, based on your description, you could ignore the fact that your BlackBerry calendar is labeled with the @gmail.com address. Your calendar invites sent from the BlackBerry will be seen as coming from a gmail address, which you may not like, and the acceptances will be received in gmail and not at the 'work' address you are using in your Outlook email client.

On the other hand, you might add your 'work' email address to BIS and set the default CICAL and default CMIME to that address.

Follow me?
Old 03-04-2011, 05:35 AM   #14
daudbros
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9900
PIN: 28BED24A
Carrier: etisalat

May be this is the right place to put my question...

In my 9780 I see default services such as

CALENDER (CICAL): SHOWS MY DEFAULT EMAIL ADDRESS FINE NO ISSUES
CONTACT LIST (SYNC) SHOWS my GMAIL which is not my default service and then I am unable to change drop down menu wont show another option
MESSAGING (CMIME): SHOWS MY DEFAULT EMAIL ADDRESS FINE NO ISSUES EITHER HERE

Perhaps I am over concerned please advise if this is true.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #15
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

No need -- and actually a bad idea -- to post personal data on yourself.

At any rate, this is a new one on me. I don't know if your are seeing the contact list sync option because it is new in OS 6, or because of something you've installed (google sync, for example). I'm trying to educate myself on it. Maybe someone else will post the answer.

In the meantime edit your post if you still can, or PM a mod and ask if they will do it for you.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:06 AM   #16
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

For some explanation, see http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartp...001-5.0-US.pdf and look at page 150.

I'd say if everything is working fine for you, don't worry about it. If you run into problems, such as sync'ing to Outlook with Desktop Manager, post the particular problem and details if you can't solve it yourself. (FYI searching on exact error message text almost always leads to the answer, maybe not always a solution, but an answer.)
Old 04-26-2011, 09:37 AM   #17
BBEagle

Model: 9700
Carrier: Bell

I had the same problem as described by empeyg. i found out that the solution is to delete the default Calender in Default Services, however i never tried to add attendees from the BB and see what happened.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:18 PM   #18
zaksdad
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
PIN: k Floyd Forever!
Carrier: AT&T Mobility

When you set up a New Appointment in BB Calendar, and want to Invite Attendees, click the BB Menu, select Invite Attendee, then choose from your Contact List. Do this for each Attendee. The email invites will go automatically when you Save and everthing is automatically added to your BB calendar. When invitees confirm, that is auto added. When you sync with Outlook using BB DTM, it will sync all the items in Outlook too. As long as you have your Outlook setup to sync with your Gmail, your BB Default Email and CICAL set for Gmail, and service books in order, it will work fine. It is the way I have mine set up for years.

Hope that helps!
Old 09-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #19
Pmelanso

Carrier: Bell
Unhappy Re: Unable to change SYNC to default

I have the same problem gmail.com as made itself default for my contacts and I can't change it our update my contacts...
Old 09-13-2011, 03:50 PM   #20
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Your default services are changed in Options > Advanced Options > Default Settings.
Under OS7 it's Options > Device > Advanced System Settings > Default Settings.
Closed Thread