Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 05:37 PM   #1
xXSilentScreamXx
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: tmobile
Default Music through jawbone

Please Login to Remove!

can i listen to music through my jawbone??

is it true that the new os removed A2DP support??
or just for non stereo headsets

4.2.2.67 is an old os i heard that this one allows it

Old 02-18-2008, 12:45 AM   #2
kurrupt_1
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: 2159FC90
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXSilentScreamXx View Post
can i listen to music through my jawbone??

is it true that the new os removed A2DP support??
or just for non stereo headsets

4.2.2.67 is an old os i heard that this one allows it
I don't believe ethier one solved the issue. I maybe wrong though, if I am I apologize.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:47 AM   #3
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

does the jawbone support a2dp? i didnt think it did. i could be wrong as ive never used it for anything but calls, i much prefer the larger stereo bluetooth headsets that have a better frequency range.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:54 AM   #4
xXSilentScreamXx

from the jawbone website
"22. Can I listen to music on the Jawbone?

It is possible, but the sound is not stereo. Also because the Jawbone is optimized around voice and not music, the sound quality will not be what you are used to hearing through your standard stereo headsets."

Old 02-18-2008, 12:54 AM   #5
xXSilentScreamXx

but how do i do it?

Old 02-18-2008, 12:56 AM   #6
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

it has to support a2dp. there are several other profiles that allow for streaming music to the device, but the blackberry (currently) supports a2dp only. and of course the jawbone website is useless in that regard.

Last edited by Sith_Apprentice; 02-18-2008 at 12:57 AM..
Old 02-18-2008, 01:00 AM   #7
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

there are certain other phones, nokias specifically, that push all sound through bluetooth and dont use the a2dp profile. they use the standard headset profile and allow streaming audio through it.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:53 AM   #8
xXSilentScreamXx

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...have-a2dp.html

from srotman
"It works! It works! It works!

To ARHYTHMATIK: Not to be an ass, but sorry buddy, you're DEAD WRONG!
A2DP is not stereo specific. Newer implementations of such allow stereo transfer of sound, and I believe that is more to do with newer revisions of the Bluetooth profiles/stacks than A2DP.

Anywho, I downgraded to 4.2.2.67 and in the media player I suddenly had the option to "Activate Jawbone" or "Activate BlackBerry655", which are both NON STEREO HEADSETS!

I tested this for MP3 audio playback AND video playback of a video I converted off of YouTube.

It wouldn't play ringtones back through the headset and still rang through the speaker, but when I went into the device properties of my headsets I noticed it only listed "Headset" and it was missing the "Hands Free" profile. So I deleted the devices and repaired them. I gave a test call, and sure enough the ring came through the headset!

FINALLY!!! After almost a year of missing this feature, it's back! Now if only someone can figure out what drugs the guys over at RIM are doing to make them either accidentally or purposely remove this feature from more recent OS revisions.

To everyone out there with just a headset, and who doesn't want to drop good cash on stereo BT heaphones, you can now enjoy the full set of features the Curve has to offer, through BT, the way it is SUPPOSED TO."

Old 02-18-2008, 05:24 PM   #9
jimdab

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A

I read this somewhere on another forum, possibly pinstack, and I tried it but it isn't that good. This method works, but it isn't very useful.

If you want to use a bt headset and listen to the music, do this:

1) make sure your bluetooth headset is connected/paired.

2) Play the playlist you want to hear on the speakerphone, the normal way where you can hear it loudly.

3) switch to the main screen your BB and make an outgoing call. it should go to your bt headset. then cancel the call immediately. ONLY PRESS THE CANCEL CALL BUTTON ONCE.

4) if it worked, you should be hearing the music in your bt headset. if you press anything you will lose the sound. if you need to use your phone you will lose the sound.

this is just taking advantage of a little bug in the way audio is routed. like i said before, it isn't very useful.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:33 AM   #10
srotman

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXSilentScreamXx View Post
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...have-a2dp.html

from srotman
"It works! It works! It works!

To ARHYTHMATIK: Not to be an ass, but sorry buddy, you're DEAD WRONG!
A2DP is not stereo specific. Newer implementations of such allow stereo transfer of sound, and I believe that is more to do with newer revisions of the Bluetooth profiles/stacks than A2DP.

Anywho, I downgraded to 4.2.2.67 and in the media player I suddenly had the option to "Activate Jawbone" or "Activate BlackBerry655", which are both NON STEREO HEADSETS!

I tested this for MP3 audio playback AND video playback of a video I converted off of YouTube.

It wouldn't play ringtones back through the headset and still rang through the speaker, but when I went into the device properties of my headsets I noticed it only listed "Headset" and it was missing the "Hands Free" profile. So I deleted the devices and repaired them. I gave a test call, and sure enough the ring came through the headset!

FINALLY!!! After almost a year of missing this feature, it's back! Now if only someone can figure out what drugs the guys over at RIM are doing to make them either accidentally or purposely remove this feature from more recent OS revisions.

To everyone out there with just a headset, and who doesn't want to drop good cash on stereo BT heaphones, you can now enjoy the full set of features the Curve has to offer, through BT, the way it is SUPPOSED TO."
Wow! I was actually quoted in a thread for once! :p

Anywho, @xXSilentScreamXx
Please give up on this feature. I understand it may be frustrating to know you have a headset and not use a feature you thought would be available, but unfortunately, C'est La Vie!

I still use my Jawbone today but not for music playback. The trouble of having to disconnect this and reconnect that and downgrade this and do that just wasn't worth it. I went out, bought myself a Motorola S9 for music playback, and couldn't be any happier. I recommend you do the same.

BlackBerry is a business phone, not like Nokia who makes phones for anybody and everybody. Once RIM wakes up and realizes that in order to attract the prosumer market properly they're going to have to copy their competitors, we may get lucky and see some improvements. Until then you have to work according to the restrictions of their devices.

However, best of luck to you in getting your Jawbone to work. If you do, great. But I can't see it worth the headache in the end.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:35 AM   #11
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

this method was used before but its not stereo bluetooth. using the call technique or others you can "fool" the phone into playing the sound through the headset. its a bug more than a feature and not specific to the jawbone.
Closed Thread