BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 01:32 PM   #1
bosco1041
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: 3043BBC9
Carrier: AT&T
Default SMS Delivery confirmation on the 8310?

Please Login to Remove!

Hello all,
I recently moved from my T-Mobile 8320 to a new 8310 with AT&T. With my 8320, I was able to set it so that when the intended receiver of a sent SMS received it, my BB showed an indicator above the "sent" checkmark. This was set in the settings on my 8320 but there is no setting that I can find for it for my 8310. Any suggestions?
Old 06-26-2008, 04:23 PM   #2
kevinpb

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon
Smile Answer

You need to not Hide Sent Messages.

Steps:
1. Go to Messages
2. Select Options from Menu
3. Select General options
4. Set Hide Sent Messages to No
5. click Save

This will show all sent emails also in messages also.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:26 PM   #3
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinpb View Post
You need to not Hide Sent Messages.

Steps:
1. Go to Messages
2. Select Options from Menu
3. Select General options
4. Set Hide Sent Messages to No
5. click Save

This will show all sent emails also in messages also.
That didn't address the OP's question at all. That will only show you that the message left your device, not that it was actually received on the other end.

I'm not aware of SMS confirmation indicators for the BlackBerry. You can PIN message another BB and receive delivery confirmation of that type of message however. Natively, I don't know that the BlackBerry can do that, but each carrier may have their own tricks.

Last edited by CO_BBTechie; 06-26-2008 at 04:41 PM.. Reason: Clarification
Old 06-26-2008, 05:55 PM   #4
kevinpb

I think she thought that on her 8320 that is was showing that her friend got the text, but it was just showing that the text was sent successfully.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:30 PM   #5
Concept
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: T Mobile

You can do delivery confirmation for all emails and sms messages. For emails go into your messages and click options. Then go to email settings. From there you can change delivery confirmation for each email account you have linked to your BB. You can also confirm read and tell your BB whether to send read receipts when you get an email requesting one from you.

For SMS messages you can go to the main options menu and click SMS Text. From inside that menu you can turn on delivery reports. That is how you get the "D" letting you know someone received your sms. You can do the same for mms messages.

Those who don't have a clue about an answer really shouldn't reply!
Old 06-26-2008, 08:33 PM   #6
Concept

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinpb View Post
I think she thought that on her 8320 that is was showing that her friend got the text, but it was just showing that the text was sent successfully.
The check mark shows that it was successfully sent from your device. The check mark with the "D" shows that the message was delivered to whatever device it was sent to. All SMS messages can be set up with the deliver confirmation as well as MMS and pin messages. Emails will only show the "D" if its sent to another BB device.

Its the same as sending an email from you computer to an email linked to a BB with the words <confirm> as the subject line. As soon as the email is delivered to the BB, you will get an email back saying so. Try it, it works!
Old 06-26-2008, 09:45 PM   #7
bosco1041

[QUOTE=Concept;989618]You can do delivery confirmation for all emails and sms messages. For emails go into your messages and click options. Then go to email settings. From there you can change delivery confirmation for each email account you have linked to your BB. You can also confirm read and tell your BB whether to send read receipts when you get an email requesting one from you.

For SMS messages you can go to the main options menu and click SMS Text. From inside that menu you can turn on delivery reports. That is how you get the "D" letting you know someone received your sms. You can do the same for mms messages.

Right. That's how I had it sent on my 8320. But on my 8310 that option isnt in the settings.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:51 PM   #8
Concept

Well damn you got me then. I have a 8320 so thats the only thing I can go by. At least my answer was better than the other guy who said it can't be done.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:04 PM   #9
bosco1041

LOL no its ok. I appreciate all the help. its weird though. I got into the same setting screens with the devices side by side. 8320 has it, 8310 doesnt
Old 06-26-2008, 10:08 PM   #10
Concept

I feel you. Whatever settings your looking for might just be the only difference between the different OS's.

It is pretty wierd how just the setting between the SMS and MMS are totally different. They are both the same thing except for one has a picture and the other doesn't. But one has check boxes, and the other has yes/no options. Sometimes people do stuff ass backwards just because. This may be a case of just that.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:07 PM   #11
kevinpb

I stand corrected and I did not understand her question. I learned some valuable information that SMS text are truly confirmed when delivered. That is a great feature.

On my 8330 this works today and I get the check with the D.

It seems on both my AT&T 8310 and Verizon 8330 that these options are only configurable for MMS. The options you specified are not there for SMS Text. So maybe the MMS setting applies for both?

Does that mean if someone has their device off, or out of coverage, when the text is sent you will not see the D until after they have turned on the device and received the SMS text?
Old 07-08-2008, 02:52 PM   #12
rojocrandall
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
You can do delivery confirmation for all emails and sms messages. For emails go into your messages and click options. Then go to email settings. From there you can change delivery confirmation for each email account you have linked to your BB. You can also confirm read and tell your BB whether to send read receipts when you get an email requesting one from you.

Or those who do not pay attention to the model...
Old 07-08-2008, 03:30 PM   #13
CO_BBTechie

Quote:

Agreed. But those that believe their setting is universal shouldn't be so quick to chastise others either. This setting is not available to me....
Old 07-08-2008, 03:31 PM   #14
CO_BBTechie

Quote:
Well damn you got me then. I have a 8320 so thats the only thing I can go by. At least my answer was better than the other guy who said it can't be done.
I hope you're not referring to me. You think that bad or invalid advice is better than someone saying "I don't know that option is available natively?"

I said I'm not aware of a setting. I did not say it can't be done. Read carefully before you react please.

Would you like a dirty sock to enjoy with that foot?

Last edited by CO_BBTechie; 07-08-2008 at 03:37 PM..
Old 07-08-2008, 09:42 PM   #15
barbwyr
CrackBerry Addict

AT&T Does not offer the SMS delivery confirmation function on their network. That's why the 8320 has it but the 8310 doesn't.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:32 PM   #16
Gone Soaring

Model: 8830
Carrier: sprint

I think that Sprint also does not offer SMS Delivery Confirmation. I switched from T-mo and this a huge feature I miss (especially trying to get in touch with my college age son). Anyone have ideas? Thanks
Old 07-10-2008, 07:15 PM   #17
hppyfnbll

Carrier: tmobile

I know on T-mobile when I need to make sure a text is delivered I use *noti# before the message. Once it is delivered on the handset I get a text from the network with some information. I know it is a gsm code, I am not sure if it works on AT&T, but its worth a shot at trying.

The person getting the the text doesn't see the *noti# just in case you were wondering. Its so nice to double check to see if a phone of a "sick" employee is off or it they are just not answering. lol
Closed Thread