BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 06:01 PM   #41
entrada

Model: 8700g
Carrier: tmobile
Default Any More Recent Developments??

Please Login to Remove!

I would like to hear from anyone who may have returned from Europe in the last few weeks. Because I have contacted the Blackberry customer service folks at T-Mobile and have been told that the $19.99/month international data roaming charge does not include internet use or teathering the phone for use as a modem. They tell me it is designed solely for e-mail usage. Internet use and modem use will be charged per kb used at $15/MB. This is also how the web site describes it. Are there any recent experiences anyone can share on this point?
Old 08-03-2006, 07:23 PM   #42
proussak
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by entrada
I would like to hear from anyone who may have returned from Europe in the last few weeks. Because I have contacted the Blackberry customer service folks at T-Mobile and have been told that the $19.99/month international data roaming charge does not include internet use or teathering the phone for use as a modem. They tell me it is designed solely for e-mail usage. Internet use and modem use will be charged per kb used at $15/MB. This is also how the web site describes it. Are there any recent experiences anyone can share on this point?
I used my BB a lot for Web access during three weeks in England and France in June/July and was NOT charged anything on top of the $19.99/mo. unlimited international charge (I can't speak to using it as a tethered modem). I had got their international customer service guy to expressly confirm this to me before I left, expecting to have a dispute when I got back, but was pleasantly surprised. It is true that they have renamed the plan the unlimited international email plan, but that happened before I left, and I doubt that I somehow got grandfathered. Having said all that, it does seem to be something of a crapshoot.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:51 PM   #43
bigbossman

UPDATE: So I just returned from Asia and was NOT charged extra for international DATA roaming. I paid the $19.99 for the Tmobile unlimited international data add-on and they didn't charge me the $15 per mb fee. What a relief.

On the other hand, I paid quite a bit for voice roaming which indicates I should probably bring an additional unlocked cell phone for future travels abroad.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:33 AM   #44
VickyPaz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: TMobile

I called the TM international number and spoke to a woman there who put me on hold to confirm what is included in the $19.99 add on international plan. She said emails only. I said to her that I have heard conflicting things that some people have gotten charged, and some haven't. So what's the deal? And she said that just last week a person called and said he personally knew people who weren't getting charged for browsing while overseas and she told me what she told him, 'only email is included in the plan but if you don't get charged for web browsing...lucky you'. So that's how we left off. Seems like even TM isn't really sure what they want to do
Old 08-09-2006, 08:37 AM   #45
FightingDevil

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I just recieved my bill after a 5 day trip to the UK and didn't recieve a charge for the data that I used. While there, I used Google Maps and Yak-On primarily. I think that this is the prime situation where....YMMV!!!
Old 08-09-2006, 08:53 AM   #46
VickyPaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingDevil
I just recieved my bill after a 5 day trip to the UK and didn't recieve a charge for the data that I used. While there, I used Google Maps and Yak-On primarily. I think that this is the prime situation where....YMMV!!!
I'm curious to know, because I travel to the UK on occasion, do you also have Tmobile Internet that is $5.99 per/m where you can browse the web as well or just the BBAddon for $19.99/29.99? I wouldn't see a reason to have both, but I'm wondering if the people who are not getting charged might have TMobile internet and so TM doesn't see it as international browsing. I doubt this is the case, I'm just trying to find some connection. I mean why would TM say it only covers email and yet people are not getting charged for web browsing. Is it just to cover there a**es? Why wouldn't they be more sure of what their package includes?
Old 08-09-2006, 12:21 PM   #47
fiubc
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100

I can tell you that I was on a cruise last month in the caribbean and activated international "email" before I left. I was using the Cingular GSM connection on board the ship as well as several different carriers in the islands, and did not get charged for data. I was using the BB Internet Browser as well as Webmesseger. So from what I can see, data is included, but just not mentioned.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:32 AM   #48
camphero

Model: 8800
Carrier: VZ
Default Here's the deal.

The t-mobile contracts with the international companies cover unlimited email only. It is the responsibility of the international company to submit your usage to T-mobile for them to bill you. So, I would argue that all of the free data usage is due to a lack of communication with T-Mobile and the international companies used while roaming.

In short this is Russian Roulette with your credit card.

I was lied to by every sales rep I spoke with until I chatted with a supervisor at 505-998-3793 .
Old 08-10-2006, 05:44 AM   #49
VickyPaz

camphere - I was just going to post the same thing. I went on HowardForums.com - to the TMobile section as that's where a lot of TM reps hang out and asked the question. Only one answer but it did make the most sense:

"It's possible that the company didn't differentiate between e-mail and web browsing as far as notifying T-Mobile of how your data was used. When it comes to roaming overseas, nothing with data is definite."

I asked though because TM has such a European presence (they are from Europe after all - Deutsch Telecom) why they wouldn't be the company submitting the data info...however no answer as of yet and I don't think I'll get one.

My last question was: Is there a way then a customer browse the web and make it look like email data?? LOL - seems like people are doing it but wanted to see if there was a sure way...but really don't think I'll get an answer to that one!
Old 08-10-2006, 08:37 AM   #50
camphero

Model: 8800
Carrier: VZ

I was lied to by every rep I spoke with. I have to find out how to connect to the Internet while overseas. I think if there is a chance of getting charged I'll be the one. I really can't chance this because I am going to be on for about 2 hours a day and $15 per MB is rape.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:46 PM   #51
Globetrotterdoug
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T
Default Theory vs. Reality

Hi--

First this is my first post here. And, I'm not even a BB owner. I have a Treo running with Goodlink for company e-mail and Chatteremail for personal with Tmo. (I know that's the enemy but bear with me.) I found this thread since I was charged theh $15/mb fee when I was in Holland for several weeks last spring. I'm a heavy user and the charge was between $30-50/DAY. Yikes! My company was not happy and I don't blame them. So, I'm looking for a cheaper way. Sounds like this plan is.

But, get this. Tmo charged me when I was in Western Europe (UK, NL, CH, F etc.) but when I was in Peru for two weeks and in the Dominican Republic, I wasn't charged anything. My conclusion is that Tmo charges you if they get charged separately for browsing.

Those of us who have been with Tmo for a while will recall that for many years with Omnipoint and Voicestream all incoming overseas calls were free until Tmo figured out how to charge for them. When they started charging, they sent everyone a notice that they were supposed to be charging all along but didn't and now were going to start. Same may be true here.

Anyway, I'm thinking of switching to BB for this reason only since it is so expensive with my Treo. I may try the new Pearl. My only concern is that on the BB my personal email will get mixed up with my company e-mail. On the Treo, they are very separate. Is there any work around for this? Thanks.

Doug
Old 09-08-2006, 02:06 PM   #52
dkf747
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8520
Carrier: TMO

Everyone stop calling them and tipping them off about non-charges. Maybe they won't notice.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:08 PM   #53
snirody

Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Aargh

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipchick
Ok good news - I'm on the BIS plan and I got my bill and it turns out that while i was overseas I was not charged for international data while i was on the international email plan.

This is great news concidering the fact that before i left the rep told me that i would be getting charged for the data. Unfortunately the rep screwed me in other ways, but that's another story
That's great... maybe. I just called T-Mobile since I'll be travelling to Europe in a couple of weeks, the rep said there is no "BB Unlimited Add-On" (I asked 3 times to be sure..) for $19.99 (or $29.99) and the only option is the $15/MB... If I can't even get them to add the unlimited intl plan before I leave then the e-mail vs. e-mail and web browsing argument is moot!
SNi
Old 09-09-2006, 03:36 PM   #54
tryinit

Carrier: Tmobile

I recently got back from the UK for 10 days, and recieved my bill. The only charge I received was for a pro-rated amount on the International Plan - there were no extra charges on my bill for data. It is T-Mobile
Old 09-09-2006, 06:45 PM   #55
Globetrotterdoug
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T
Default You can do it Online

Sign on to your Tmo account. Be sure that your device is BB. If not, change it. (Of course, you can use any device you want--I'm using a Treo). Then select the BB int'l unlimited e-mail plan for $19.99. I just leave it on my account since I travel often but you can chage it as often as you want. This discovery will save me (actually my employer) hundreds $!
Old 10-02-2006, 04:56 PM   #56
padders

Model: 8300
Carrier: T-mobile

I have spent half the day trying to work out this international data plan.

Perhaps someone with knowledge on these things knows, is it even possible for the ISP to differentiate email from data if you are using the BES account? I can imagine they probably can on the BIS blackberry, but if all data is going straight through to the BES, would they even know?
Old 10-18-2006, 09:50 AM   #57
padders

Bumping this up, has anyone has any more experiences/feedback with using this add on? Most importantly, has anyone using BES been charged for data usage?
Old 10-18-2006, 10:05 PM   #58
phjnky
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman
UPDATE: So I just returned from Asia and was NOT charged extra for international DATA roaming. I paid the $19.99 for the Tmobile unlimited international data add-on and they didn't charge me the $15 per mb fee. What a relief.

On the other hand, I paid quite a bit for voice roaming which indicates I should probably bring an additional unlocked cell phone for future travels abroad.
Not to send the thread off track.. and I am using quite a bit of tethering and web browsing with the unlimited tmo BB 19.99 plan + int add on for another 19.99... and don't see any added charges... yet from S.A.

but on the issue of international roaming which can add up really fast.. one easy solution is to subscribe to a service that allows you direct your U.S. domestic number to an overseas number and forward your cell to that service. Unconditionally forward all calls to that number which is forwarded to your international cell. It saves a ton of $$$ and can be controlled over the net. Since you might already know this,,,, some might not and it's an international thread related to high costs... so hopefully its not too far off track. uno mas. ;)
Old 10-19-2006, 02:32 AM   #59
padders

Have t-mobile put up their prices, with no minutes the blackberry plan seems to now be $29.99 or $39.99 a month, or was the $19.99 always only if you bought voice calls as well?
Old 10-19-2006, 04:14 AM   #60
vyper340

Major conflicting information here from TMO. I travel regularly to the UK and purchased the Pearl and the requesit plans to allow me to roam unincumbered. Upon arriving to the UK for the first time with my BB I call customer service to add the BB Internation eMail ($19.99 USD/month) and was told that internet is NOT included. I have checked my statement online and it appears that I am being billed for any internet and/or messages.

I'll have to call when my paper statement shows up and address the conflicting information that is posted and told to us by TMO. Hopefully they can find a fix for this and allow international data use under the plan.
Closed Thread