mdlissner
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T
Default LexSpell 8800 Beta

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolev View Post
thanks folks.

At least we know one place where the problem isn't.

Unfortunately there are a few more where it might be.

We'll take short while to come up with a version that will tell us as much as possible.

On another note...I have a goodie to those of you who provide good feedback, a little thank you to hold your spirits high. I'll be contacting you via PM.
Kolev - just let us know if you need us to load another version. I am glad to help out in the testing phase.

For my own sanity, am I better off keeping V1.46 on my 8800 or should I revert back to V1.45?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 04-21-2007, 07:32 PM   #43
kolev
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: TMobile

OK...for everyone who tried 1.46b above, the version that does not display the text to be corrected - remove it or overload it with either the public release or the next beta (see below).

Do NOT keep 1.46b, this was purely experimental and by all means not appropraite for use.

Now, to the good stuff: we're moving to 1.5 beta now and the reason is we've re-written a lot of the interface code; that's one approach that's different from trying to find where the problem with the current 1.45 and 8800 is....we've just changed a lot in the UI architecture and we hope the problem would go away.

It might or it might not.

I personally do not favor this type of approach where by basically re-architecturing you hope to avoid a problem; I really do prefer finding out what the problem was and then designing a proper solution for it.

However, there are some benefits of taking the re-architecturing approach and I can not deny it.

Most important than anything is whether it works at all and only people using 8800 can be the judges of that.

Also, since *a lot* of the underlying interface engine has been changed, chances are for other, new bugs to manifest themselves. Be aware of that, but first and foremost - we care if you can run enough tests with correcting and ignoring misspelled words.

Note that passing through just once is NOT sufficient; we know from past experience that with the previous 1.5 betas, the bug was not manifesting itself when pressing the "Ignore" button, for example; one needed to make changes to the text.

Whatch out for that, if it appears to work push it harder before you post back.

Without further delay, here is the latest 1.5 beta:

http://www.beiks.com/download/ls15b.jad

Oh, and about the promised goodies...I will follow-up on that. Our dev team just surprised me with this overhaul of the LexSpell and this is, by all means, more important than the goodie.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:24 AM   #44
mdlissner

Kolev,

Tried V1.5 and did not have the old issue with the same type of message (tried sending a message with a Subject of Test and a body of testt). This worked cleanly.

On another note I did like the new UI.

Thanks for all your help in making LexSpell even better.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:30 AM   #45
donc36
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

Hi Bobby,

I've downloaded 1.5 on my 8800c. and I have not been able to get it to crash - 1.45 did regularly, especially if I selected Ignore, it seemed.

Once minor point - in the UI (launched from the Mail app), Add to Dictionary and Ignore are on the same row in the display. Intuitively, I thought I could set the focus from one to another by rolling the trackball left or right (If the focus were already on one of them), but it requires up / down. I don't know if this is possible to change, but if left / right could be used while on that particular row, it may be more intuitive.

Overall, the UI is clean, and its very quick.

I did have to re-enter my reg code when installing this over 1.45 (which was registered). Most other apps don't require this unless a new key is required, which does not appear to be the case.

Thanks,
Don
Old 04-22-2007, 07:47 AM   #46
Photon

Hi Bobby,

First, let me say that the new UI is great. Donc36's point is a good one from my perspective.

Second, I have exercised 1.5 multiple times and have been able to reproduce the same issue which I described above when checking messages during compose in the message application. Specifically, I composed a message and spell checked it. Everything worked perfectly until I selected the correct spelling from the list on the last misspelled word at which point the LexSpell exited to the main screen with the error message of "Uncaught exception: Field added to a manager while it is already parented". I have tried using LexSpell standalone, ie., not within the messaging application and everything seems to work well. Please let me know if I can provide further details.

I appreciate the opportunity to try out the new version.

Bob
Old 04-22-2007, 08:54 AM   #47
kolev
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Hi Bobby,
Second, I have exercised 1.5 multiple times and have been able to reproduce the same issue which I described above when checking messages during compose in the message application. Specifically, I composed a message and spell checked it. Everything worked perfectly until I selected the correct spelling from the list on the last misspelled word at which point the LexSpell exited to the main screen with the error message of "Uncaught exception: Field added to a manager while it is already parented". I have tried using LexSpell standalone, ie., not within the messaging application and everything seems to work well. Please let me know if I can provide further details.
Bob
Can you describe a way to reproduce that in a reliable manner?
Can others confirm that?

- bobby
Old 04-22-2007, 09:14 AM   #48
kolev
Thumbs Must Hurt

Can I get some of you to get back to the currently public 1.4 from Welcome to BEIKS Mobile! and get them registered so that we see if the problem might be caused by the appearance of the registration screen?

Should have done that before giving you out the 1.5, but it's going to expire at the end of the month anyway, so please let's give that a try.

Send me your PIN and I'll be sending you the activation code.

We're looking to see if the problem is there with the thank you screen and goes away after registering.
"A pocket full of knowledge"
Old 04-22-2007, 11:38 AM   #49
mdlissner

Kolev,

My PIN is 23F298FC. Send me a code and I will reload V1.4
Old 04-22-2007, 12:10 PM   #50
Photon

Quote:
Can you describe a way to reproduce that in a reliable manner?
Can others confirm that?

- bobby
I wish I could tell you how to get it to fail. In between sending the message earlier and now I did pull the battery and restart the BB.

I have just tried to repeat the sequence I tried earlier, multiple times, doing exactly what I did earlier today, but it seems to be working. I will continue using it and let you know what happens.

Bob
Old 04-22-2007, 02:45 PM   #51
acnst
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: not configured
Carrier: T-Mobile

Bobby, with version 1.5 I have the same issue. The application crashes with the same error as before. I can repeat the issue in the following way:
1. Create a new mail with testt in body
2. Select LexSpell from menu and correct the word
3. Add some more text to the body, e.g. hottel
4. Chosse LexSpell from menu
5. Select hotel from the suggestion list
6. Application crashes: "Uncaught exception: Field added to a manager while it is already parented"
7. The messaging application also crashed as it does not appear anymore in the task list.

I hope this helps.

I will send you my BB PIN via PM and will then repeat the test with version 1.4 after I receive the key.
Btw, I like the new, fresh look of version 1.5.

for Microsoft Exchange

Old 04-22-2007, 04:46 PM   #52
donc36
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Can I get some of you to get back to the currently public 1.4 from Welcome to BEIKS Mobile! and get them registered so that we see if the problem might be caused by the appearance of the registration screen?

Should have done that before giving you out the 1.5, but it's going to expire at the end of the month anyway, so please let's give that a try.

We're looking to see if the problem is there with the thank you screen and goes away after registering.

I am registered, so I didn't see the registration screen, however, I did experience the crash with version 1.4.

Don
Old 04-22-2007, 04:50 PM   #53
donc36
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by acnst View Post
Bobby, with version 1.5 I have the same issue. The application crashes with the same error as before. I can repeat the issue in the following way:
1. Create a new mail with testt in body
2. Select LexSpell from menu and correct the word
3. Add some more text to the body, e.g. hottel
4. Chosse LexSpell from menu
5. Select hotel from the suggestion list
6. Application crashes: "Uncaught exception: Field added to a manager while it is already parented"
7. The messaging application also crashed as it does not appear anymore in the task list.

I hope this helps.

I will send you my BB PIN via PM and will then repeat the test with version 1.4 after I receive the key.
Btw, I like the new, fresh look of version 1.5.

I did duplicate the crash using these exact steps - I think the key here is you first do a spell check, continue to add text to the message, then run a second spell check and, and in my case, select the correct word from the list of suggested words. Then I got the exception message and crash. (this was with the registered version)

Don
Old 04-23-2007, 10:13 AM   #54
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

For testing, should we be running the 1.4, 1.4 registered or 1.5?

Regards-Michael G.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:18 PM   #55
fredbill

Carrier: cing

I am afraid that this version still crashes. My experience was that it got all the way through a spell check but actually only replaced the FIRST spelling error in my test email. When I launched LexSpell again, it ran through the spell check and then issued the "Uncaught Exception" as it attempted to return me to the email. I saw this happen twice, but not on my third attempt.

what is consistant is that any 2nd attempt to check spelling on a message causes the "Uncaught Exception".

good luck!
Old 04-23-2007, 06:24 PM   #56
sads25

Model: 8300
Carrier: at&t

Quote:

For whatever it is worth, I have been having the following experience. The only time that the program crashes is with a new email. It works perfectly when I am responding to an email and then use the spell checker. The problem does not occur when I am using the software on its own.

Let me know if you ahve any questions or if I/we can provide any further information.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:24 PM   #57
kolev
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Back to testing with 1.4

I have a new build, version 1.48b; I think it would be best to delete 1.5 before installing 1.48; it is going to expire at the end of April anyways and, after all, the goal of this whole exercise is to get a stable version 1.5 so we can release it out for everyone.

So...download 1.48 from

www.beiks.com/download/ls148b.jad

----
ADDED LATER: IF YOU READ THIS FOR FIRST TIME, MOVE ON TO MY NEXT POST AS LS1481B HAS ALREADY BEEN UPLOADED. JUST READ THE BELOW FOR WHAT TO DO IF IT STILL CRASHES.
----

Run it and repeat the familiar test with "testt" in the body of the email.

It should crash with the message that a parented control is again being parented. Click OK to close the error message.

At this point, you should be in the main application launcher and LexSpell should be terminated/closed.

Hold down the ALT button and type the letters LGLG on the keyboard, then release the ALT button.

This should invoke the system log where you should see a lot of entries from LexSpell.

Give me a copy of as many as you can, up to the latest (the topmost) one.

On a side note, we have a wonderful tech support contact @ RIM...I mean, really, she's great. However, as per Murphy's law she says LexSPell simply does not crash on her BlackBerry!

That lead me to think...have you guys and gals checked for updates on the firmware release from your carriers? I am not aware of an update to 4.2.1, but then again I might have missed something.

P.S. I'll be giving activation codes, no worries; however, as one or two of the posts above confirm (and which match with my expectations) the problems we have are hardly related to the registration screen as even registered users tend to experience the crash.
By giving people activation codes now I am only more likely to discourage them from chasing the bug with us, right?

Last edited by kolev; 04-24-2007 at 12:12 AM..
Old 04-23-2007, 09:34 PM   #58
drgoodtymes
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Tour
PIN: 30D4E281
Carrier: Sprint

Thus far, I have been running 1.5 on my 8800 and its worked flawlessly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC5bVFduTRM
Old 04-23-2007, 10:20 PM   #59
wchahn

Here's what I got:
aUI-GS-D 85c90d51
S Java Exception - IllegalStateException
aLexSpell.cod - :OnExit updating msg UI...
aLexSpell.cod - :OnExit setting text back...
aLexSpell.cod - :OnExit errors found
aLexSpell.cod - in BSpellScreen:OnExit
aLexSpell.cod - :Check Text() started...
aLexSpell.cod - :OnEnterKey calls Check Text()...
aLexSpell.cod - :OnEnterKey fired...
S Java Exception - IllegalStateException
aLexSpell.cod - :OnExit updating msg UI...
aLexSpell.cod - :OnExit setting text back...
aLexSpell.cod - :OnExit errors found
aLexSpell.cod - in BSpellScreen:OnExit
aLexSpell.cod - :OnEnterKey calls Check Text()...
aLexSpell.cod - :OnEnterKey fired...
aLexSpell.cod - Back from BSpellScreen...
aLexSpell.cod - :Check Text wrong word found.
aLexSpell.cod - Pushing BSpellScreen...
aLexSpell.cod - Creating BSpellScreen...
aLexSpell.cod - Invoked through menu.
a net.rim.otasync - AG,-CPT
a net.rim.tunnel - Clos-blackberry.net
a net.rim.hrtRT - CCIG 0X0
a net.rim.hrtRT - ERRs 0X0
a net.rim.hrtRT - XV5i 0X2
a net.rim.tunnel - STac
a net.rim.tunnel - Kick-blackberry.net
a net.rim.tunnel - Open-blackberry.net
a net.rim.hrtRT - ETot
a net.rim.hrtRT - XSys
a net.rim.hrtRT - CGNr
a net.rim.hrtRT - STac
a net.rim.tunnel - Kick-blackberry.net
a net.rim.tunnel - Open-blackberry.net
a net.rim.hrtRT - ETot
a net.rim.otasync - AG,USID=2141,STY=4,+SESS,
a net.rim.hrtRT - PUpl
a net.rim.hrtRT - EPdp 0X0
a net.rim.hrtRT - EHr!
a net.rim.hrtRT - ENpc 0X31041030
W net.rim.hrtRT - ESpn
a net.rim.hrtRT - ESpn
a UI - GS-D 45fela78
a net.rim.vad - DONE
Old 04-23-2007, 11:34 PM   #60
kolev
Thumbs Must Hurt

yess!!!

we're finally getting somewhere...

www.beiks.com/download/ls1481b.jad is the new download.

Both versions behave exactly the same way here on the simulator, however I have reasons to believe the 1.481 one would behave better on 8800.

In any case we know for sure in which direction to look and even if we can't resolve it properly we should be able to patch it from here on.

If it still crashes let me know the debug log again.
"A pocket full of knowledge"

Last edited by kolev; 04-24-2007 at 12:05 AM..
Closed Thread