Make it a 100%.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:00 PM   #42
mstrange
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon
Default Always-on, always connected??

Per the Verizon Web site:
"In addition, Verizon Wireless announced the May 14 availability of its new Global BlackBerry service, an “always-on, always connected” wireless e-mail solution that provides quick, easy access to e-mail, contacts, calendar, organizer and the Web while on-the-go. "

Anyone know what this means. I currently have an exchange account and BES service with Exchange My Mail and having BES is the ONLY way to go for me as I have full wireless sync of mail, contacts, calendar, tasks etc.

Is Verizon now offering there own BES type service?

Mike
Old 04-25-2007, 10:10 PM   #43
ericshmerick
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrange View Post
Per the Verizon Web site:
"In addition, Verizon Wireless announced the May 14 availability of its new Global BlackBerry service, an “always-on, always connected” wireless e-mail solution that provides quick, easy access to e-mail, contacts, calendar, organizer and the Web while on-the-go. "

Anyone know what this means. I currently have an exchange account and BES service with Exchange My Mail and having BES is the ONLY way to go for me as I have full wireless sync of mail, contacts, calendar, tasks etc.

Is Verizon now offering there own BES type service?

Mike
Sounds like they are creating some sort of data sync similar to their wireless sync, only for blackberries. This would enable people who don't have a business and don't want to pay extra for BES hosting to get BES functionality direct from their carrier...and I'm sure, at a nice price. No way this would be free.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:12 PM   #44
ericshmerick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsmooth View Post
Make it a 100%.
Are you 100% positive a firmware flash in the future will not have the capability to upgrade to rev.A? I've heard as long as they used the newer quallcomm chip, they should be able to upgrade it via software/firmware.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:49 AM   #45
1stcare

Default mac tethering

ericshmerick, the verizon version of the 8703e does not support mac tethering. I was wondering if this new device does.

Thanks in advance.

Marc
Old 04-26-2007, 06:10 AM   #46
mstrange
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Always-on, always connected??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshmerick View Post
Sounds like they are creating some sort of data sync similar to their wireless sync, only for blackberries. This would enable people who don't have a business and don't want to pay extra for BES hosting to get BES functionality direct from their carrier...and I'm sure, at a nice price. No way this would be free.
Anyone else with info on what Verizon is offering here and any cost? As I said I have BES via a third party and think that it sets the Blackberry apart from all others - in other words I love it. But wondering if Verizon is going to include that or charge for it? I am NOT interested in a BES like service as the BES stuff just works! Thanks again!
Old 04-26-2007, 07:04 AM   #47
idencustom
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 83xx
Carrier: Skytel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrange View Post
Anyone else with info on what Verizon is offering here and any cost? As I said I have BES via a third party and think that it sets the Blackberry apart from all others - in other words I love it. But wondering if Verizon is going to include that or charge for it? I am NOT interested in a BES like service as the BES stuff just works! Thanks again!

Verizon Wireless’ new Global BlackBerry service allows customers to place and receive voice calls from more than 150 countries and send and receive e-mails in the United States, Canada and more than 60 countries worldwide. With Global BlackBerry service, Verizon Wireless customers receive the Global Support Pack, which includes a SIM card, a user reference guide and details on accessing the Global Help Desk for 24-hour customer support, seven days a week. Customers also receive a calling card for free support calls while traveling outside of the U.S. from any landline phone to technical support if the BlackBerry 8830 is lost, broken or stolen. “The BlackBerry 8830 with Verizon Wireless’ Global BlackBerry service will set a new standard for global wireless service,” said Mike Lanman, vice president and chief marketing officer of Verizon Wireless. “Customers leave the U.S. with the ultimate productivity tool enhanced by a service and support package they won’t find anywhere else in the industry. This is the gold standard for the international enterprise, and with its unique blend of form, function and value, we expect this device to quickly become our top selling BlackBerry for domestic use as well.”
Old 04-26-2007, 07:56 AM   #48
nyc2socal
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Default Some notes..

from: Verizon Wireless Announces The Next Evolution In Global Connectivity: The BlackBerry 8830 World Edition Smartphone And Global BlackBerry Service

>Bluetooth® capabilities for certain profiles inclusive of hands-free, dial-up networking and serial port

This sounds like bluetooth tethering works!

>The BlackBerry 8830 World Edition smartphone will be available in May for $299.99 after a $100 rebate with a new two-year customer agreement. An additional $100 credit toward the purchase of the device is available for customers who sign up for qualifying voice and data plans at the time of purchase.

Wow, so you can get it for $199 before any corporate discounts! Nice!
Old 04-26-2007, 09:59 AM   #49
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Huh? The 8703e does have tethering functionality. I use it on my Sprint 8703e all the time, as it's included in the BB plan. Verizon does offer it, but at an additional cost.
Read the subject line... he wants to tether it to a Mac, which cannot be done, yet.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:03 AM   #50
aviationwiz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I'm pretty excited about this device, and it'll be great because I have a $100 discount (NE2) with VZW that I can use at any time as well, but going for the unlocked Sprint version might be worth the wait and extra cost...

Does anyone know what the 60 countries that will have data roaming are?

I emailed VZW and asked, but all they said was:
"We understand and apologize for any frustration regarding this but we are only able to provide information regarding products or services that we are currently offering. We are unable to disclose any unconfirmed information because it would be subject to change and could raise expectations that may not be met."
Old 04-26-2007, 10:15 AM   #51
dwp1975
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
PIN: 304CEA0A

The BlackBerry 8830 World Edition smartphone will be available in May for $299.99 after a $100 rebate with a new two-year customer agreement. An additional $100 credit toward the purchase of the device is available for customers who sign up for qualifying voice and data plans at the time of purchase.

Does this mean it will be $199.99 with a new 2 year contract?
Old 04-26-2007, 02:03 PM   #52
idencustom
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 83xx
Carrier: Skytel

Launch Date

* B2B and Internet: Monday, May 14th
* All other channels: Monday, May 28th

Features

* First Global CDMA/GSM BlackBerry from Verizon Wireless
* Voice recognition
* Multi-media player for MP3s
* Speakerphone
* Trackball navigation
* Thin form factor
* Full QWERTY keypad

Device Price
$399.99 Retail price
($100.00) Advanced Device Credit (when applicable)
($100.00) Mail-in-rebate
$199.99 Total

Unlimited Email Service

* Domestic: $44.99 with voice plan or $49.99 without voice plan
* Global: $64.99 with voice plan or $69.99 without voice plan
Old 04-26-2007, 03:48 PM   #53
ericshmerick

I just want it b/c it has the trackball. My thumb has lost feeling in it b/c of the side wheel.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:30 PM   #54
Raven
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8130
Carrier: VZW

Only a little more the two weeks away!
Old 04-27-2007, 06:41 AM   #55
FynxSyndct
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 42

im running a treo as I wait for the 8800 to come to verizon.
I miss by BIS!!!
Old 04-27-2007, 09:07 AM   #56
cdd543
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310

Quote:
That is what they are calling their new $65 global roaming blackberry data plan..it isn't a new wireless sync type service. That is what BIS is for..to get the added functionality you need third party BES or to fork out $$$ to RIM.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:14 AM   #57
dwp1975
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by idencustom View Post
Unlimited Email Service

* Domestic: $44.99 with voice plan or $49.99 without voice plan
* Global: $64.99 with voice plan or $69.99 without voice plan
Are you able to use this phone with the standard blackberry data plan for $44.99 or are they going to force owner's of this phone onto the global data plan?
Old 04-27-2007, 09:30 AM   #58
limegrass69

Model: 9630

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwp1975 View Post
Are you able to use this phone with the standard blackberry data plan for $44.99 or are they going to force owner's of this phone onto the global data plan?
My rep tells me that you can opt for either the domestic (standard) or global for an extra $20 per month. If you travel a lot, then the global deal is a better bang for the buck. If you don't have the global plan, you can still roam with data internationally at $20 per meg.

The phone only has a 900/1800 MHz GSM/GPRS radio in it, so it'll be good to go in Europe and Asia, but it's not a sure thing in the Caribbean (i.e. Bahamas is 1900 MHz only).
Old 04-27-2007, 10:40 AM   #59
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucejr View Post
Way to go VZW. Finally getting a device rather quickly!
Check this theme out. Seen it in action. Actually like it better than Zen. Very clean and cool. Love the icons.

Last edited by Stinsonddog; 04-27-2007 at 10:42 AM..
Old 04-27-2007, 10:42 AM   #60
dwp1975
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by limegrass69 View Post
My rep tells me that you can opt for either the domestic (standard) or global for an extra $20 per month. If you travel a lot, then the global deal is a better bang for the buck. If you don't have the global plan, you can still roam with data internationally at $20 per meg.

The phone only has a 900/1800 MHz GSM/GPRS radio in it, so it'll be good to go in Europe and Asia, but it's not a sure thing in the Caribbean (i.e. Bahamas is 1900 MHz only).
I actually have no need for global data so domestic would be what I would want, I would only use the 8830 on GSM for voice when I am on vacation on cruises in the Carribean to call home and check up on my kids, but if it doesn't support the frequency for it's GSM dual band then it is of little use to me except for when I am using the CDMA network. Ahhhh well, guess no new gizmo for me till a new CDMA blackberry comes out.
Closed Thread