Old 07-23-2007, 04:46 PM   #1
Scott8586
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
PIN: 30bed4bd
Carrier: Verizon
Default BIS servers visiting my imap server infrequently

Please Login to Remove!

Hi. I am my own ISP for personal e-mail. I've noticed over the last couple of days, the blackberry bis hosts are only visiting my imap server about once every two-three hours, where the normal period is every twenty minutes. Has anyone else seen this sort of problem in the last couple of days? Thanks. - Scott
Old 07-25-2007, 01:38 PM   #2
rotophonic

Model: 8703e
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint

I've seen the same issue. This morning, the last time that the BIS server hit my IMAP server was at 7AM Pacific. It's now 11:39AM. Not one hit since then.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:56 PM   #3
Berry One
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

Found here:BlackBerry Search Results

IMAP is a protocol used for accessing email messages on a messaging server. The IMAP IDLE command is a widely implemented extension of the IMAP protocol that facilitates real-time email message delivery.

IMAP IDLE allows real-time email message delivery to a BlackBerry device by maintaining a persistent connection between the BlackBerry Internet Service and the email messaging server. Using this persistent connection, the messaging server will notify the BlackBerry Internet Service when new email messages arrive. When the BlackBerry Internet Service is notified by the messaging server that new email messages have arrived, it will connect to the messaging server and retrieve the new email message(s) and deliver them to the BlackBerry device. The benefit of this feature is real-time delivery of IMAP email messages to the BlackBerry device. The impact to the messaging server is low, as IMAP IDLE makes efficient use of messaging server bandwidth.

For more detailed information regarding the IMAP IDLE command, refer to RFC 2177.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:02 PM   #4
gresch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e
Carrier: verizon

I found that article, and as I said in another thread, BB is on crack if they expect every ISP to make those changes or BIS users won't get email more than once every 6 hours! are they friggin kidding me!?!?!?!?!

(yes, i'm pissed)

I'm on hold with VZW tech support, they're about to pass me through to BB tech support..... i'll be back with more shortly.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:07 PM   #5
Berry One

My IMAP account works just fine and I am getting my emails in under 2 minutes consistently.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:09 PM   #6
gresch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry One View Post
My IMAP account works just fine and I am getting my emails in under 2 minutes consistently.

what carrier are you on?
Old 07-25-2007, 08:34 PM   #7
Berry One

BIS features are usually not carrier-specific. Your problem is with ISP hosting your IMAP email account.

I don't have problem with my ISP and now enjoy really fast email.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:45 PM   #8
gresch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry One View Post
BIS features are usually not carrier-specific. Your problem is with ISP hosting your IMAP email account.

I don't have problem with my ISP and now enjoy really fast email.

No, BIS features are very carrier specific as each carrier can be on a different version of BIS, either 1.8, 2.1, 2.2 or 2.3. Bberry made a change on Monday that now changes how they are making IMAP connections to ISP mail servers, and the problem is that bis 2.3 doesn't play well with certain versions of IMAP running on the mail servers at certain ISP's.

I am on the phone with BBerry support right now and they are admitting that it's a problem with BIS 2.3.

If you're not using 2.3, you might not be experiencing a problem.

more later.... still on the phone with bberry

Last edited by gresch; 07-25-2007 at 08:46 PM..
Old 07-25-2007, 09:14 PM   #9
atod03

Model: 8703E

I was on the phone with berry about this issue earlier. Verizon connected me to them to handle the issue directly. After about an hour of being on hold, etc, blackberry was able to fix the problem. Basically, as it's been noted above, blackberry overhauled the system to allow for instantaneous delivery. however, if your server doesn't enable concurrent connections (which is how they can send you emails instantaneously), then the messages get delivered every six hours under the imap idle thing that they now have in place. As a result, there are two ways to cure the problem. You can have your server enable concurrent connections, assuming you have some way of influencing that. Otherwise, the guy over the phone just reset my settings to get rid of the whole idle thing so that my berry goes back to the way it was-- delivering messages with a maximum delay of 15 minutes. Since you can't just call Blackberry to do this directly (unless you pay a steep price), unfortunately, you have to probably go through your carrier and ask them to connect you to bb to sort out the issue. Explain the issue to them in detail and tell them that blackberry needs to fix it, and they should be able to help you out. the person at verizon who helped me didn't know how to solve my problem, but finally after consulting higher level support people, she was instructed to connect me over to bb. Hope this helps. Everything's working fine for me now.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:21 PM   #10
gresch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by atod03 View Post
I was on the phone with berry about this issue earlier. Verizon connected me to them to handle the issue directly. After about an hour of being on hold, etc, blackberry was able to fix the problem. Basically, as it's been noted above, blackberry overhauled the system to allow for instantaneous delivery. however, if your server doesn't enable concurrent connections (which is how they can send you emails instantaneously), then the messages get delivered every six hours under the imap idle thing that they now have in place. As a result, there are two ways to cure the problem. You can have your server enable concurrent connections, assuming you have some way of influencing that. Otherwise, the guy over the phone just reset my settings to get rid of the whole idle thing so that my berry goes back to the way it was-- delivering messages with a maximum delay of 15 minutes. Since you can't just call Blackberry to do this directly (unless you pay a steep price), unfortunately, you have to probably go through your carrier and ask them to connect you to bb to sort out the issue. Explain the issue to them in detail and tell them that blackberry needs to fix it, and they should be able to help you out. the person at verizon who helped me didn't know how to solve my problem, but finally after consulting higher level support people, she was instructed to connect me over to bb. Hope this helps. Everything's working fine for me now.
Thanks, that's the same scenario that I'm in now and I'm trying to get BB to disable IMAP idle for my account.... stay tuned.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:41 PM   #11
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
PIN: 35AABF91

i have a college IMAP account and i get delivery every 15 mins. Gmail is instant
Old 07-25-2007, 09:49 PM   #12
gresch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBerry View Post
i have a college IMAP account and i get delivery every 15 mins. Gmail is instant

The problem is that bberry bis doesn't play nice with email servers that do not allow concurrent connections. gmail must allow it.

The BIS 2.3 upgrade is the problem and is conflicting with email servers that do not have concurrent connections enabled. So if your carrier doesn't use BIS 2.3, you won't see the problem. Verizon does, so I'm seeing the problem.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:50 PM   #13
gresch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by atod03 View Post
he made the change and i'm still haveing a problem. I'm done for tonight, hopefully they fix it soon.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:24 AM   #14
Scott8586

Model: 9630
PIN: 30bed4bd
Thumbs up Working!

Thanks for the headsup about concurrent connections. I switched my system over to supporting concurrent connections and apparently it's working as RIM intended.
There is also the side benefit of the different mail clients not fighting for access.

na.blackberry.com keeps one connection open, listening via IMAP IDLE for new activity on my account. When there's new activity, a second connection is made that picks up the e-mail and delivers it to my blackberry. The delay is much shorter, probably about 1-2min.

(technical info: I'm using sendmail and UW imap. Under UW imap, the underlying storage determines whether concurrent access is allowed. The default for a unix based account is mbox which does not allow concurrent access, but mbx format does. I've switched sendmail over to delivering mail via tmail, and I converted my inbox from mbox format to mbx format using the program mailutil).

Last edited by Scott8586; 07-26-2007 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: thinko
Old 07-29-2007, 12:21 AM   #15
vliou
Platinum Sponsor

Model: 9700
Carrier: Telus

RIM is back to 15 minute polling.

I just killed my BES a few days ago after I accidental found out it was real-time.

15 minute polling is way too long and I hope RIM goes back to IMAP-IDLE. If there are mail servers out there in the world not idle compliant, they should go bankrupt.

I am very bitter right now!
Old 07-29-2007, 06:52 AM   #16
whsbuss

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott8586 View Post
(technical info: I'm using sendmail and UW imap. Under UW imap, the underlying storage determines whether concurrent access is allowed. The default for a unix based account is mbox which does not allow concurrent access, but mbx format does. I've switched sendmail over to delivering mail via tmail, and I converted my inbox from mbox format to mbx format using the program mailutil).
We use UW-IMAP4 as well (2003.337 older version). Trying to get the latest version installed. We also use sendmail & procmail for mail delivery into mbox for each user. Is there any documentation regarding UW concurrent connections besides the tmail delivery and mailbox conversion? I doubt we can alter mail delivery from sendmail to tmail.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:29 AM   #17
fonewiz

Model: Pearl
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tmobile

I am the admin of several mail servers responsible for over 10,000 email users. I am sure there are quite a few BlackBerry users in the bunch who are suffering from this problem including myself.

I run two different mail servers and now I am scrambling to figure out how to make these changes on each and frankly wondering if the changes are safe and smart for our mail servers.

I am concerned that a persistent connection to possibly hundreds or thousands of blackberry users accounts to the blackberry server would cause tons of load on my mail servers that they clearly don't need.

It may not work this way, I need to do more research..

Either way, what a load of crap for them to make this change and take out so many users BlackBerry service without doing a better job of making it known up front.

I for one love the idea of having faster access to my email accounts on my Blackberry but not at the cost of a SERIOUS performance hit to our mail server.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:32 PM   #18
whsbuss

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonewiz View Post
I am the admin of several mail servers responsible for over 10,000 email users. I am sure there are quite a few BlackBerry users in the bunch who are suffering from this problem including myself.

I run two different mail servers and now I am scrambling to figure out how to make these changes on each and frankly wondering if the changes are safe and smart for our mail servers.

I am concerned that a persistent connection to possibly hundreds or thousands of blackberry users accounts to the blackberry server would cause tons of load on my mail servers that they clearly don't need.

It may not work this way, I need to do more research..

Either way, what a load of crap for them to make this change and take out so many users BlackBerry service without doing a better job of making it known up front.

I for one love the idea of having faster access to my email accounts on my Blackberry but not at the cost of a SERIOUS performance hit to our mail server.
I can agree with your comments. Speaking with their support folks on Friday I got the impression they were probably going to stop this "automatic" IMAP-IDLE feature and in fact they have.

I think what they will/should do is change the default of using IMAP as the first option when setting up an account on the BIS user interface (currently both POP & IMAP accounts default to IMAP polling on port 143 - if found it uses IMAP for both protocols). Then in advanced settings, for IMAP accounts, have an option to use IMAP-IDLE with a popup notification stating "check with your imap mail administrator to see if IMAP-IDLE & concurrent conections are supported."

At least that would eliminate MOST bis users from using imap as the default. Most don't even know what POP/IMAP is anyway. The way they have it set now, with IMAP as the default, it could definately impact your server's loads.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:52 PM   #19
vliou
Platinum Sponsor

As a previous email administrator for well over half a million email accounts...I am going to throw in my two cents.

I think that the apprehension surrounding RIM is completely unfair. If they choose to force email administrators into switching to IDLE, then GOOD for them.

And here's why.

When AOL forced servers to obey the rules of rDNS, several email providers, including myself, did the same thing. rDNS curbed spam and was incredibly effective at stopping home-email providers using dynamic DNS's. AOL just flipped the switch.

This ticked off a lot of people, but it was a GOOD thing and they had every right to do so.

Now while I think RIM should have either made a public announcement or not have let non IMAP-IDLE users "high and dry" without email for 6 hours or whatever, RIM definitely can and should switch to IDLE.

IDLE is a great protocol which cuts down on RIM's costs, improving email delivery standards, and etc etc.

IDLE has been out for years now and it's a shame and sad that so many email providers are STILL non-idle compliant.

Just my two cents...
Old 07-29-2007, 03:52 PM   #20
vliou
Platinum Sponsor

And also, IDLE does not tax a email system. It would have been worse with 15 minute polling.
Closed Thread