Old 03-26-2008, 07:27 PM   #1
GotGadgets
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Password Protection Questions

Please Login to Remove!

I know where I would set the password protection on the Pearl, but I dont see anything other than setting up some sort of time interval if its enabled. Is there a way to only require a password if the device is off and is trying to be powered on? As in, I only want to enter the password in the morning when I fire up the unit and dont want to be bothered about it again till I power it down and try to fire it up again. Suggestions?

I regularly use the holster throughout the day too, so I wouldnt want to use the "Lock on holstering" option as a solution.

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2008, 07:33 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8700g)

Can't do what you want. Not with the native password lock, anyway.

ADDED: Personally, I don't turn the blackberry off. But if you are determined to do what you are asking, a work around might be enabling the password in the evening before turning the blackberry off, then disabling it after powering on again. Lot of trouble, though.

Last edited by aiharkness; 03-26-2008 at 07:38 PM..
Old 03-26-2008, 07:42 PM   #3
GotGadgets

Thanks! Thats actually not a bad suggestion. I dont need to lock it everyday, but there are times when I am going somewhere for work that the phone must be left at the door and I normally power it off but was interested in locking it. That was my primary concearn. So your suggestion will prob do during those once in awhile scenarios. I was just using the "off at night" scenario to try to explain what I was trying to achieve.

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2008, 07:50 PM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8700g)

Hah! Good deal! It's not that much trouble if it's once in a while in the situation you describe.

Consider setting the password all the time and just changing the time out as needed. You may think you don't have anything on there, but think if you lost it. Does your blackberry identify you? Does your calendar show when you are going to be away on business and your house maybe empty? Just a suggestion.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:11 PM   #5
VirexInc
No longer Registered.

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGadgets View Post
Thanks! Thats actually not a bad suggestion. I dont need to lock it everyday, but there are times when I am going somewhere for work that the phone must be left at the door and I normally power it off but was interested in locking it. That was my primary concearn. So your suggestion will prob do during those once in awhile scenarios. I was just using the "off at night" scenario to try to explain what I was trying to achieve.

Thanks!
ok so here is where i am confused. if your device has information valuable enough that you want to lock the device when you have to leave it at the door, then why dont you have a device password set all the time? what happens when you lose the phone or it gets stolen? then what?
Old 03-27-2008, 07:30 PM   #6
GotGadgets

Point well taken... Never think about losing it unintentionally... I suppose I would be thinking about it a lot if it actually happened and being too late. Password set

Oh, one more question... Not that I am really worried about it, but just curious, if you max out the password attempts on the BB, is there an easy fix, or is it a go back to RIM type of situation?

Last edited by GotGadgets; 03-27-2008 at 07:34 PM..
Old 03-28-2008, 01:04 AM   #7
VirexInc
No longer Registered.

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGadgets View Post
Point well taken... Never think about losing it unintentionally... I suppose I would be thinking about it a lot if it actually happened and being too late. Password set

Oh, one more question... Not that I am really worried about it, but just curious, if you max out the password attempts on the BB, is there an easy fix, or is it a go back to RIM type of situation?
if you have your password attempts set at the default 10 attempts then after the 10th try the device will automatically wipe itself back to factory settings. its a nifty little security feature
Closed Thread