BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 09:53 AM   #1
ace_2005
No longer Registered.

Angry Please Help

Please Login to Remove!

I have prevented the sales calls from Good Technology for the past 6 months. Finally they got through to our CIO and convinced him to do a pilot. I am the BES Admin with over 2000 users. Should I be concerned about my future at the company? All of the executives are really pleased with the Goodlink 4.0 and have ordered 200 licenses this week. What should I do to keep my job? Is Good really competing with RIM?
Old 04-11-2005, 10:02 AM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Sure Good is competing. And when the CIO finds out the true switching costs - which are very high - he'll decide to stick with RIM. I believe your job is safe.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:02 AM   #3
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

Do a quick cost comparison between BES and the cost to move to Good, if the insane costs to do so doesn't kill it in its tracks I'm not sure what will...
Old 04-11-2005, 10:14 AM   #4
eyegotit

I support both and find the Good software easier to admin.....and the costs appear to be in line with RIM.....only difference is when you pay for the service. Good wants it all up front, whereas RIM spreads it out. This mainly has to do with RIM's superior contracts with the carriers. If Good ever gets the same contracts, then I think RIM might be concerned. Until then, I'd say not.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:17 AM   #5
ace_2005
No longer Registered.

I hope my job is safe. We were offered some program that they buy-back BB's, that is the scary part. Then the support was very inexpensive. Then the PDA apps that are available on the Pocket PC and PalmOS are not supported by our BES. Is there anything out there for the MLS-listings on the BB?
Old 04-11-2005, 11:32 AM   #6
hughvh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Cbeyond

Also, look into what training is offered for Goodlink. It maybe easier and cheaper to retrain you in Goodlink than to hire a Goodlink admin. (Not to mention is would be something to add to your resume.)

MLS, Multiple Listing Service? I don't believe there is a BlackBerry app for this. Can't the MLS be accessed via a web browser? You may want to checkout Web Viewer at ww.reqwireless.com
Old 04-11-2005, 11:54 AM   #7
Good_Guy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon/Sprint

finch, I think you would be surprised at the cost comparison from a TCO standpoint, especially if you look at upgrading 2,000 users to BES 4.0 vs a new deployment of Good.

Ace, your job is safe. I seriously doubt they are going to throw BB out and do a complete replacement with GL in one fell swoop. Learn GoodLink during the pilot and if/when they decide to deploy GL, you will be fine.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:54 PM   #8
ace_2005
No longer Registered.

I support BES for one of the largest mortgage brokers in the country. They want to be able to use the eKEY as well as the multiple listing service at the same time. The BB does not have these capabilities. Will there be a BB device with the ir-port?
Old 04-11-2005, 12:55 PM   #9
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Guy
Learn GoodLink during the pilot and if/when they decide to deploy GL, you will be fine.
there's the key to keeping your job. never be satisfied with being stale and comfortable. technology is ever-changing and you should be ever-learning.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:08 PM   #10
ace_2005
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
there's the key to keeping your job. never be satisfied with being stale and comfortable. technology is ever-changing and you should be ever-learning.
we just spent a crap load and they were looking at me like why did I not test or even consider GL when they originally invested in BB. I did not want to point blame at the CIO so I took the blame for being the gate-keeper. I dont want to look at a Palm or PPC but I have no choice.... i hate them because of the advantages they have. My 85k salary can be put in the hands of a reseller and that does not sit too well with me. My company does not want to pay for IT support any further and GL gives them that option.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:13 PM   #11
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Will there be a BB device with the ir-port?
Highly unlikely. RIM is very security conscious, and they've never put out a BB with an IR port, or Bluetooth data transfer, or a camera (as examples)...
Old 04-11-2005, 01:27 PM   #12
Good_Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace_2005
we just spent a crap load and they were looking at me like why did I not test or even consider GL when they originally invested in BB. I did not want to point blame at the CIO so I took the blame for being the gate-keeper. I dont want to look at a Palm or PPC but I have no choice.... i hate them because of the advantages they have. My 85k salary can be put in the hands of a reseller and that does not sit too well with me. My company does not want to pay for IT support any further and GL gives them that option.
Ace, with a deployment the size you are talking, you will need an admin for the GoodLink Server for moves, adds, and changes. Learn and know the product. As I said, they aren't going to complete sh*tcan the BES deployment right away, so you are ok, IMHO.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:29 PM   #13
Good_Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
Highly unlikely. RIM is very security conscious, and they've never put out a BB with an IR port, or Bluetooth data transfer, or a camera (as examples)...
Good's security model is identical to that of BB and devices with Bluetooth, IR and camera (and cameraless) are available to run GL. I think, however, you have hit on something that could slow RIMM down, that being the flexiblity in devices. If I know RIMM, however, I would not be surprised at all to see a new device in the not to distant future, that will address several of these things.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:32 PM   #14
jibi
BlackBerry God

85k for being a BES admin.. jeez, what part of the land do you live in?
Old 04-11-2005, 01:35 PM   #15
Good_Guy

Quote:
LOL! I was thinking the same thing and heading over to the 'darkside'
Old 04-11-2005, 01:41 PM   #16
jibi
BlackBerry God

we could start our own company and split the profits...
Old 04-11-2005, 01:42 PM   #17
ace_2005
No longer Registered.

Quote:
is 85k too low?
Old 04-11-2005, 02:00 PM   #18
Good_Guy

Quote:
we could start our own company and split the profits...
Goodberry? BlackLink?
Old 04-14-2005, 08:46 AM   #19
ace_2005
No longer Registered.

You guys are brutal.... I just installed the GL server and have noticed that it was a good idea to allow both into our network. Seems like our BB users and happy with what they have and the other boneheads who want Treos and PPC's are happy also. For all you BES admins out there, keep the door open for Goodlink for some will want to use both and it is always a win win when everyone is happy...... Yours Truly, ACE
Old 04-14-2005, 09:20 AM   #20
Good_Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace_2005
You guys are brutal.... I just installed the GL server and have noticed that it was a good idea to allow both into our network. Seems like our BB users and happy with what they have and the other boneheads who want Treos and PPC's are happy also. For all you BES admins out there, keep the door open for Goodlink for some will want to use both and it is always a win win when everyone is happy...... Yours Truly, ACE
Boneheads???

I can tell you from experience, that is what we are seeing. RIMM has the name, the marketing and the customer base. RIMM customers (especially large deployments) have invested alot of time and money and we don't expect them to completely yank out BB at first glance. Sure, from a business standpoint, we would like them to, but reality says it won't happen.

Not yet, anyway
Closed Thread