Old 08-07-2007, 06:16 AM   #61
bostonnerd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: z10
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidboydca View Post
As a developer who's worked on both OS's, I would say that developing for Blackberry has been much more robust and easier than with Windows Mobile (C# and native Win32).
(snipped)

Whether or not you will get all the control over the PIM functionality that you need is another question, however.
Exactly...I was specificly referring to the ability to interrogate and manipulate the PIM data.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:18 PM   #62
wxboss
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: 23EC645F
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonnerd View Post
Exactly...I was specificly referring to the ability to interrogate and manipulate the PIM data.
I believe that PIM data is covered by the Geneva Convention
Old 08-08-2007, 10:05 AM   #63
fireman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: VZW

Bring on PI....I really miss it when I came over to the BB side. (every once in awhile I open up my PPC to see the app I miss alot)
Old 08-08-2007, 01:46 PM   #64
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9850
PIN: URADUMAS
Carrier: Verizon

One thing that I think would be good for PI for the BB (if it comes), is to allow PI to interface with different types of data from different PIMS (Native BB/Outlook, ACT, todoMatrix (if they can pull that off with RexWireless), and any other proprietary PIM databases out there. Not everyone uses the native PIM database, and that feature would push their product leaps and bound I think. My 2cent$
Old 08-08-2007, 01:51 PM   #65
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlackberryBoy View Post
One thing that I think would be good for PI for the BB (if it comes), is to allow PI to interface with different types of data from different PIMS (Native BB/Outlook, ACT, todoMatrix (if they can pull that off with RexWireless), and any other proprietary PIM databases out there. Not everyone uses the native PIM database, and that feature would push their product leaps and bound I think. My 2cent$
PI only interfaces with Outlook, at least in its current version. The whole point behind those proprietary PIM databases is, well, that they're proprietary. So, despite the fact that coding for all those various pieces of software would likely cause Alex to commit suicide, the possibility from a technical aspect is simply not there.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:50 PM   #66
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9850
PIN: URADUMAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdpmumin View Post
PI only interfaces with Outlook, at least in its current version. The whole point behind those proprietary PIM databases is, well, that they're proprietary. So, despite the fact that coding for all those various pieces of software would likely cause Alex to commit suicide, the possibility from a technical aspect is simply not there.
I am a fellow coder (.NET 2.0/3.0 and Java), so I do know the limitations and the possibility of death in doing something like that. I just threw it out because if it could be done later down the line, it could open the door for other vendors who could possibly offer a web based PIM service or something like that with no front end, or provide a "different" front end for viewing PIM data.

All I know to date my friend was PocketDay for the longest, now todoMatrix (which I like), but PIM functionality is limited. Your points were well received though.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:02 AM   #67
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: eapple and ham pizza is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by webis View Post
Our goals on the BB version of PI would be to work on 3 areas specifically. We would probably leave Contacts alone. We have a plan and we have a timeframe. Its just a matter of getting an idea if its doable financially.
The one thing I am looking for in a BB PIM is the ability to link contacts with activities. Can PI do that now? I was a Palm user for years and also use ACT on my PC. I desperately miss the functionality of being able to make and appointment and link it to a contact then have that synch with my PC based PIM.

Agendus has said they will not be doing it, Pocket Day says they are not adding it and ACT will not be adding an "ACT for BB" program so the market is open for a full, robust, PIM application on BB.

I am hoping that PI can do this, the market is there for a fully funtional PIM.

Good luck--let me know if this functionality is available from PI.

thanks

Last edited by johnfromphilly; 08-10-2007 at 09:34 AM..
Old 08-10-2007, 09:04 AM   #68
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Yes, PI does this now.

But then again, whether or not Alex is able to integrate that into the BB version or not depends on how open the BB API is.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:19 AM   #69
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Yes, PI does this now.

But then again, whether or not Alex is able to integrate that into the BB version or not depends on how open the BB API is.
Gotcha! Thanks.

I know that seems to be the hold up in some other developers doing it as well. I do not understand development so it is hard for me to understand the reasons why. All I know is I want to do this as it is how I run my day on ACT. I cannot do any scheduling on the BB without having to later link all of the appointments to the correct contacts after synching with ACT.

As a non-developer/consumer all I can do is stand outside the castle gates screaming for what I want but it won't make it happen any faster, if at all.

Thanks again,
JP
Old 08-10-2007, 09:23 AM   #70
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

I think I've seen a software conduit from ACT! that synchronizes your BB data to ACT! As I remember, though, it was quite expensive.

Yep, just saw it on their website. They're very proud of it apparently. $239 a year or $24.95 a month.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:40 AM   #71
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
I think I've seen a software conduit from ACT! that synchronizes your BB data to ACT! As I remember, though, it was quite expensive.

Yep, just saw it on their website. They're very proud of it apparently. $239 a year or $24.95 a month.
Yes, it is called Handheld Contact (HHC) and it is really designed to allow OTA synching between an office and the BB. This is for a road salesperson who gets an appointment added to their schedule by the office personel for example.

I tried it and it is a HUGE overkill for just the ability to link contacts and activities. They have both a PC and a BB based Application that runs seperate from all other programs then synchs with ACT. I just do not need all that they offer and that is what you are paying for. I tried to get them to give me a dumbed down (non OTA) vesion just so I could link contacts to activities but it was a no-go.

JP
Old 08-10-2007, 01:42 PM   #72
ibmman69

Model: 8830
PIN: 32c04a31

I'd buy it. I used to use PI on my PPC.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:14 PM   #73
lawizard

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: cingular - the new AT&T

One of the features about PI that I liked the best was the ability to switch between contacts and calendar quickly and efficiently. I also liked being able to color code my address book and calendar similarly so that my various business and personal contacts and appointments matched. Not being able to sync with contacts is a major omision in my book and one that may keep me from adopting this.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:04 PM   #74
dhracek

Model: 8300
Carrier: T-Mobile

count me in. great idea to bring this one to the BB.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:03 PM   #75
thunder33cat
Thumbs Must Hurt

As a former user on PPC... I would gladly voice my support for PI on the BB.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:33 AM   #76
ashleydel

Model: 7250
Carrier: us cellular
Default Would love to see Pocket Informant on my Blackberry

I was a classic Sony Clie user years ago who then progressed to Pocket pc and now am a devoted Blackberry user. I think this is very much an evolution for millions of us due to the lack of user friendly Windows type features in Palm; the extremely buggy Activesync in Windows Mobile, then the need for total Internet access that ultimately leads us to Blackberry. I have a base model-the 7250-which does not have the bells and whistles-but then again I grew out of playing major RPGs on my handheld,polyphonic ring tones etc.

I would love to have Pocket Informant on my Blackberry-that is the only slightly inferior area on the RIM system. The calendar shortcuts make the Blackberry system usable-but certainly not attractive AND there is just too much damned scrolling to do-causes tendinitis! Anything which would allow you to scroll down page by page even in the field you were editing would be fantastic-though if that's possible on a system that has no stylus input is dubious. Perhaps holding a specific key down and then use the scroll/joypad buttons to scroll down or up? This is the biggest pain on a blackberry especially if you have hundreds of appointments weekly and over 2000 address book contacts. There is no simple PIM view that allows you to simply view your appointments and the notes-you have to scroll down line by line in edit mode.

Also there is of course no ability to link address,appointments,to do etc-as well as moving appointments with click and drag etc.The very non stylus interface of Blackberry I realize brings a lot of challenges when designing a version of informant-yet I believe that certainly 2-3 million Blackberry users worldwide would snap it up! Hope this feedback helps!!!
Old 08-16-2007, 12:48 PM   #77
Semi5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100T
Carrier: tmobile

Pocket Informant for Blackberry, and the new Curve with GPS.....drool!!!!

I will buy PI the day you release it. I hope it looks good too. Blackberry apps need more eye candy.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:36 PM   #78
plantagoo

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile Germany

Hi!

Get it on. A great PIM is really missing on the BB. I used to have DateBK on my Palm, PI on my PPC - on my BB (which the most powerful platform out there by far) -> nothing.

I'll bet the first one out with great PIM (color! We need color!) which has all or several important features of the PPC PI will get the market. I'll buy it.

It's about time that those nice looking UIs/GUIs are coming to BB... ;) :D

I offer my servie as beta-tester and/or translator for the german version... ;) :D

Greetings
plant
Old 08-17-2007, 03:21 AM   #79
tjk1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmobile

has it been decided whether or not webis is going to delve into the BB world? if so, any time table for beta/release?
just wondering.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:42 AM   #80
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjk1 View Post
has it been decided whether or not webis is going to delve into the BB world? if so, any time table for beta/release?
just wondering.

Per webis:

"So far, it looks like we may have something to show late August. "

http://www.blackberryforums.com/afte...tml#post618232

Last edited by johnfromphilly; 08-17-2007 at 08:44 AM..
Closed Thread