Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #1
visioquest99

Model: Z10
PIN: N/A
Carrier: FIDO
Default Update Software - lost my pics/videos

Please Login to Remove!

Hello. I am a new Z10 user for about a month.

I was trying to move my photos/vids to my laptop. Hooked up the USB connector. Didnt see the device pop up in windows. Enabled mass usb storage device. Got prompted with a software update. Completed the update.

Turned phone on. No pics or video!!! I see 4.4 GB of 16 GB showing in device storage details. Can anyone give me any tips on recovering my photos?

Notes:
I dont see any backups on the restore.
I was never warned to back up or risk losing data.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: Update Software - lost my pics/videos

Last thing first. You shouldn't need to be warned to do a backup. In fact it is wise to do a manual backup just in case, even if the upgrade process were doing an automatic backup.

Now, if you did an upgrade using Link, are you sure it didn't do an automatic backup? (I don't know if it does or not. So far I have only done it OTA with the Z10.)

Also, sounds like you have files in storage memory. What are they? Can you see?

If the files are indeed not there and you don't have a backup or never sync'd them, they are gone.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #3
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by visioquest99 View Post
Hello. I am a new Z10 user for about a month.

I was trying to move my photos/vids to my laptop. Hooked up the USB connector. Didnt see the device pop up in windows. Enabled mass usb storage device. Got prompted with a software update. Completed the update.

Turned phone on. No pics or video!!! I see 4.4 GB of 16 GB showing in device storage details. Can anyone give me any tips on recovering my photos?

Notes:
I dont see any backups on the restore.
I was never warned to back up or risk losing data.
If the pics and videos were saved to a storage card they will still be there, unless you specifically re-formatted the storage card. In that case you would have received warnings about all data on the card being lost so I don't think you did that. Try removing your storage card and using an adapter to plug it directly into your pc. You can drag/drop the files to your computer for storage/backup.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #4
ZombieBerry
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND

Mass storage should be turned off if you are using Windows 7+

Photos/videos and Screeshots are saved to the device by default. If the OP did not change these settings, then the photos/videos are gone. If you have enabled saving to your media card then they should still be there.

Link will automatically back up your device (when connected) if it is set to do so. If you did not set it up, then it will not do so.