BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 10:06 AM   #1
wirelessandy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: ----
Carrier: at&t
Default 7130c users: How's your battery life?

Please Login to Remove!

I'm really interseted in getting a 7130c.

Those of you with 7130c Blackberries on Cingular: How has your battery life been like?

Post your observations (totally made up example below):

Battery Remaining: 60%
After how long? 6AM to 11PM
How much Talking/Browsing/Messaging/Fiddling? 1 hr talking w/bluetooth headset, 15 min browsing, heavy email all day, messing with settings maybe 30 min during commute.

Old 06-30-2006, 12:15 PM   #2
abbydog3
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7130c
Carrier: Cingular
Default my Cingular 7130c battery status

Charged yesterday, current battery 65%. Wireless on at 6:25am and off at 10:15pm. Several (9) voice calls yesterday and today.

I have been very happy with the battery life.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:41 PM   #3
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c

You know....this is something that I thought about last night actually. Not particularly in this thread, but in others, I have heard how the battery sucked in one's device because it didn't last more than 1 1/2 -2 days. In my expert opinion (yes it is expert...NJBlackberry just PMed me and told me so..), I don't understand why you would be unhappy if your battery lasted a full day, but not more than a day and a half or two. Are you telling me these people are away from a charger for more than 24 hours.

I highly doubt it. To me, it's just foolish nonsense. If your battery is dying in less than a day, then thats another story. But I would be willing to bet that most of us on this board dont go more than 24 hours without sleeping. That being said, whats wrong with charging it while you're asleep?

I just dont get it.

The Gecko
Old 06-30-2006, 12:53 PM   #4
wirelessandy
Thumbs Must Hurt

I charge my devices every day as well.

I'm simply curious as to how taxing "normal" use has on daily operations, and what I might expect at the end of the day when I toss it back on the charger. It's been a while since I've owned a Blackberry.

I'm not saying I would be unhappy if it didn't last 24 hours. I never did.

But if there are some whose 7130c batteries completely poop out (or nearly empty) by day's end, I'd be interested to know if it's normal... or because they were talking for 4 hours straight on speakerphone while talking upside-down at the bottom of a pool on a Tuesday. Or something like that.

From what it sounds like, the 7130c does just fine.

Yeah, I charge up every night regardless of device. Although I will admit that there's a nice warm fuzzy feeling knowing you've got plenty o'juice left.

I'm sorry if I've offended you and polluted your forum with my nonsense, coreyg. I apologize and won't ask again.

Old 06-30-2006, 12:59 PM   #5
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

No no no.. you didnt offend me. I was just stating in general. I wasnt attacking you for your question or comments. Just stating in general.

Thanks Though
Gecko
Old 06-30-2006, 01:34 PM   #6
naviwilliams
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9900
Carrier: AT&T

Ok, this whole thread has brought something to my attention. I've been using mobiles for years, but, Blackberry's, now that's a new thing..

Nonetheless, will the constant charging, via USB or a charger cause issues with the battery in the device's later life? As most of you know, with mobiles, and certain batteries you can't charge, and charge or even over charge them...

So, what gives...
Old 06-30-2006, 01:43 PM   #7
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

You have two choices: charge the battery and let the BlackBerry work, or let the battery die. I am not really sure what your question is? All batteries lose life over time and wear out.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:48 PM   #8
wirelessandy
Thumbs Must Hurt

I know that with certain battery technologies, like the older NiCads, should not be left on chargers. Assuming the BB batteries are LiIon ones (I don't have one in front of me, let alone a BB itself!) then the claim to fame for lithium rechargeables (other than light weight) are that they are not supposed to have "memory" effects, and you can leave them on charger without ill effect.

However, I have not conducted any tests myself so I can't say if it's true or not. And, I don't know if the safe-to-leave-on-charger thing is a function of the battery chemistry or from device/charging circuitry protection.

With that said, thank goodness the BB batteries are replacable. Regardless of if the BB batteries are nickel-cadmium, nickel-metal hydride, lithium polymer or lithium ion, they DO wear out over time (lose their abilty to hold a charge).

Navilyn, are you using a 7130c and what kind of juice-times are you getting?

Old 06-30-2006, 02:49 PM   #9
naviwilliams

Talking

No, no, I've had a lucky week, but not that lucky!

I got a 7100t & 7100g this week (both unlocked!)
Old 06-30-2006, 03:15 PM   #10
prolepsis

Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirelessandy
I know that with certain battery technologies, like the older NiCads, should not be left on chargers. Assuming the BB batteries are LiIon ones (I don't have one in front of me, let alone a BB itself!) then the claim to fame for lithium rechargeables (other than light weight) are that they are not supposed to have "memory" effects, and you can leave them on charger without ill effect.

With that said, thank goodness the BB batteries are replacable. Regardless of if the BB batteries are nickel-cadmium, nickel-metal hydride, lithium polymer or lithium ion, they DO wear out over time (lose their abilty to hold a charge).
They are Lithium Ion, so assuming that there is nothing wrong with the battery, you can leave them on the charger all the time (built-in circuitry will prevent them from being overcharged).

Lithium Ion batts do "wear out" faster or have fewer charge cycles before their capacity is reduced. But from what I have been reading, it doesn't really matter too much if you charge every night (top off) or once in a while, as long as you don't completely drain the battery all the time (though there should be an automatic cut-off to protect the battery from being overdrained).

coreyg510--for my case, I use my BBerry as an alarm. Where I sleep, there isn't really an outlet readiily available--it's covered by my desk, haha. If I plugged it in each night then the BBerry would be too far and would wake up others. So for me, the longer the battery lasts, the better.

What I do is to charge it on the weekends and periodically charge it on a few weekday evenings... but say if I am out every day of the night, then this becomes difficult. Anyhow, in my case, I have a second battery at home I can use, if need be.

Anyhow, that's my reasoning, but it's not a big deal to/for me.

Regarding coreyg510's question, perhaps one reason p
Old 06-30-2006, 03:17 PM   #11
nyc2socal
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyg510
... I don't understand why you would be unhappy if your battery lasted a full day, but not more than a day and a half or two. Are you telling me these people are away from a charger for more than 24 hours. ...
The problem is if you forget to charge it one night, you have only 1/2 day of juice... I currently get roughly 3 days on my 7130e which is ok. This is my first BB, but coming from my last cellular phone which got 6-10 days, it pales in comparison.

In a previous thread, I had posted that with the wireless turned off, the battery life was fantastic (if I were away longer, I'd bet it'd go 5+ weeks - if memory serves me right, after 2 weeks, it was down to 65-70%). It makes you realize how much juice the data comm takes.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:52 PM   #12
geeq

Model: 7130c
Carrier: cingular

Battery Remaining: 30%

After how long? my 7130c has not been hooked to the charger since 8:00am June 29th at which point i took it of the charger and it had 100% battery It is now 5:51pm june 30th. so its been almost a day in a half.

How much Talking/Browsing/Messaging/Fiddling? since my last charge Ive done more talking than anything(definetly more than 2 hours talk time), and very light emailing (about 10 short emails)
Old 06-30-2006, 07:49 PM   #13
xkon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700R

mine was charged last night, unplugged at 10pm... DEAD today @ 3! Thats with Verichat running mind you, but my 8700 can go 3x that in the same situation!
Old 06-30-2006, 08:17 PM   #14
naviwilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkon
mine was charged last night, unplugged at 10pm... DEAD today @ 3! Thats with Verichat running mind you, but my 8700 can go 3x that in the same situation!

...but, in addition to Verichat, how much phone/internet usage did you have? Because this sounds like a small time frame to me...
Old 06-30-2006, 09:44 PM   #15
wirelessandy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkon
The same? No way... That can't be good.

Old 06-30-2006, 10:31 PM   #16
xkon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700R

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirelessandy
The same? No way... That can't be good.
thats my thought as well.. browsing/talking is same as with 8700, my usage is similar... i am thinking of going back to the 8700 because of this. Its not the battery itself, I have tried 2 different ones with the same shory lifespan! One of them was my 8700's battery... still DOA quickly
Old 06-30-2006, 11:10 PM   #17
wirelessandy
Thumbs Must Hurt

As long as battery life is similar (w/o Verichat, which I don't intend to use) then I guess that's OK.

Old 07-01-2006, 08:31 AM   #18
RRKPL

Model: 8800
Carrier: att

Actually when it comes to battery life bluetooth is the biggest culprit. I use my BB for both business and personal calls and on an average busy day need to plug the phone into a charger or computer during the day as well as when I sleep to get through a 24 hour period. If i don't use a bluetooth headset charge is not an issue. Now this problem is not specific to the 7130c, I also experience this with my treo 650 and a Moto SLVR. It's just that using 2 transmitters and receivers in the same device is a current hungry operation.

Richard
2K-Plus
Old 07-01-2006, 08:36 AM   #19
dulcamara

Model: 9810
Carrier: ATT

I do about 30 mins of phone calls and a little email on my 7100/30 when I'm at home, and 1hr of phone calls, lots of web surfing, and 100 emails when I'm on the road.

At home, I get 3--4 days. The device is on all the time. If I run low on power, I plug it into my computer in my office.

On the road I get about 1-2 days. I've only had the 7130 for 4 days. Charged it in my office after several OTA dowloads and installs. It looks like I'll have to charge it again in a couple days.

It does not seem that it's any different from the 7100g I had before.
Old 07-01-2006, 09:24 AM   #20
twharms
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: Tmo

I'm not sure about you guys, but I sprung for the bigger battery. Under normal 'average' use with the wireless constantly on and using bluetooth occasionaly, I get roughly 4-5 days of battery life.

PIN: 2031512F
Closed Thread