Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 11:33 AM   #1
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted (8820)

It won't be a surprise to many, but my free memory took a big hit with the upgrade to 4.5. I first noticed it when I started using app world (... the memory report at the top of the screen) and started paying attention. Things came to a head for me the other day when I got a memory warning when upgrading an app. I went ahead and canceled the install, did a hard reset to free up memory, then installed the app.

My situation was 10-11 MB free immediately after a hard reset, and down to as low as 5 during use. It wasn't causing serious problems, though I wondered if performance should be more responsive. I just tolerated it as long as I could. The memory warning was the last straw, however.

So, I found John Clark's optimization post and looked at what I could do. I like voice dialing and didn't want to remove that. But I don't need the extra default themes.

I removed all the theme cod's except for L (the one I use). Bad move. But adding back the BB Dimension Zen theme fixed things. I didn't even lose my customization.

So now, after a hard reset, I'm up to 14-15 MB free. And I think response is much more snappy. I don't run a lot of apps anyway, so having to decide what I really need (and what I really don't need) is not an inconvenience for me. If I'm not using an app much, I delete it. (I'm using Trip Case, Bing, Livestrong, Weather Eye, Fox News Alert, Blackberry App World, ÜberTwitter, and Pandora. I also had removed the original BBM and installed the latest version.)

Moving those cod's and running loader.exe was so cool, it put me in that technological happy zone where you say to yourself, "That is so neat!"

So, my advice to those who need it is: Don't get mad and complain, do something about it. Just fix it. (And if you can't fix it, find another device that works for you.)

Last edited by aiharkness; 12-15-2009 at 11:49 AM..
Old 12-15-2009, 12:47 PM   #2
kathrynhr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
So, my advice to those who need it is: Don't get mad and complain, do something about it. Just fix it. (And if you can't fix it, find another device that works for you.)
Am I the only one wondering if this remark is aimed at a specific troll?
Old 12-18-2009, 03:17 PM   #3
Flight714
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

The point that y'all are missing is...

wait....*holds head* what just....what just happened?

I don't know what came over me.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:18 PM   #4
Noodle22

Model: 8520
Carrier: Rogers

@aiharkness: I guess it makes you feel more in control of what's going on with your phone. That's what I like about my blackberry. There are solutions and options and lot's of neat tips and tricks.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:33 PM   #5
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted (8820)

Yeah, but that dang DM! It started prompting me that new device software is available, and I know it is not. But I clinked install or whatever, so it would go through the motions, figure out I have the latest tmo release, and reset whatever it is that needs to be reset.

Well, I did, and it did, again. But this time it went through and added back the COD's. No big deal, I just ran loader and it removed them, but there's still the irritation. There's other little things with DM that are adding up and getting under my skin. ... But I can manage.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:17 PM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

When DM keeps prompting to upgrade the device software (and if you don't want to turn the feature off):

View Document 0 243742230
Old 12-22-2009, 02:12 PM   #7
CoDudette

Model: iOS
PIN: OT Noir.
Carrier: Vodafone IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathrynhr View Post
Am I the only one wondering if this remark is aimed at a specific troll?
hey.. where did that fine gentleman with a mullet disappear?
Old 12-22-2009, 03:33 PM   #8
tom0100
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-mobile
Default Seriously consider an 8900 or a 9700

I went to lunch with my boss who has an 8900 and I have a 9700 and I commented that I wasn't sure why people were using the 9000 or anything less than 256meg of os memory. (dumb business talk while we answered emails on our BB's at lunch) With so many apps now for download...it's hard to keep available memory down to a decent level and keep the BB fast.

I had a pearl way back and it was a DOG...slow!!! The 8900 was REALLY fast with the memory boost of 256meg and then the 9700 with the memory AND the better processor? FAST. I also do battery pulls like crazy;)

Quote:
Wirelessly posted (8820)

It won't be a surprise to many, but my free memory took a big hit with the upgrade to 4.5. I first noticed it when I started using app world (... the memory report at the top of the screen) and started paying attention. Things came to a head for me the other day when I got a memory warning when upgrading an app. I went ahead and canceled the install, did a hard reset to free up memory, then installed the app.

My situation was 10-11 MB free immediately after a hard reset, and down to as low as 5 during use. It wasn't causing serious problems, though I wondered if performance should be more responsive. I just tolerated it as long as I could. The memory warning was the last straw, however.

So, I found John Clark's optimization post and looked at what I could do. I like voice dialing and didn't want to remove that. But I don't need the extra default themes.

I removed all the theme cod's except for L (the one I use). Bad move. But adding back the BB Dimension Zen theme fixed things. I didn't even lose my customization.

So now, after a hard reset, I'm up to 14-15 MB free. And I think response is much more snappy. I don't run a lot of apps anyway, so having to decide what I really need (and what I really don't need) is not an inconvenience for me. If I'm not using an app much, I delete it. (I'm using Trip Case, Bing, Livestrong, Weather Eye, Fox News Alert, Blackberry App World, ÜberTwitter, and Pandora. I also had removed the original BBM and installed the latest version.)

Moving those cod's and running loader.exe was so cool, it put me in that technological happy zone where you say to yourself, "That is so neat!"

Old 12-24-2009, 06:22 PM   #9
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoDudette View Post
hey.. where did that fine gentleman with a mullet disappear?
He has returned. See http://www.blackberryforums.com/rant...anna-read.html
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 12-24-2009, 06:25 PM   #10
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post

Maybe Santa will bring him a clue for Christmas.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:27 PM   #11
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Maybe Santa will bring him a clue for Christmas.
Haha, we can only hope.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Closed Thread