BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 09:00 AM   #1
greglt

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange
Default Pretty Simple Blackberry email question...

Please Login to Remove!

Hi Guys,

Hope this is the right forum and someone can help

Just got an 8320 and having an absolute nightmare with it all !

I have a MAC and when in the office I use Entourage as my mail program.

Ideally I want the blackberry to get messages instantaneously but I believe this is not possible so I was wondering what people suggest is the best way to go about setting everything up, it seems that if Entourage is open and an email is sent, Entourage will collect it before the Blackberry does, I have now tried leaving the emails on the server for 1 day in the hope that the blackberry will collect them.

It seems that if Entourage is closed, then the Blackberry will collect them.

I spoke with Orange and they told me to set up [email address] and then get all messages forwarded to that address, this does not seem to work.

Another question : On the homescreen when I get an email why does the number appear next to messages as opposed to next to my email account ?

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Greg

Last edited by greglt; 12-01-2007 at 09:14 AM..
Old 12-01-2007, 09:57 AM   #2
tobyw
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

It really depends on how you get your e-mail. Specifically, does Entourage connect to Exchange, IMAP or POP3.

If you're on BIS - which it sounds like you are - then it will be a 15-minute polling time for messages to be delivered from one of the above types of e-mail servers.

I suspect from what you say that if Entourage is closed that you get messages on the BB that you are using POP3. If this is the case you would probably be better switching to IMAP, and in this case BIS should have no problem in collecting the messages whilst Entourage is also on. In addition, you should get the benefit of sent mails being copied to the Sent Messages folder on your e-mail server as well as deletes of messages on the BB being reconciled to the server which should be reflected in your mailbox in Entourage.

What Orange seem to want you to do is set up an Orange e-mail address in BIS and forward your messages to there. Whilst this would give you instantaneous delivery, this approach is often not recommended as there is no way to control spam to this e-mail address and you will also not get the aforementioned reconciliation filters.

Hope this helps - let us know what happens.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:49 AM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

I would not use the Orange BB email address. The reason mentioned above, SPAM, is one. Another is that the only way to view those messages is on the BB. So if data is down, or your BB is missing or broken, you are SOL. Also, the carrier can change the address at any time. You have no control. And finally, if you leave that carrier, you cannot take that email address with you.

Many are using either gmail or Yahoo to get mail to the BB quicker. I can't say one way or another as I don't use either to the BB. I can live with the BIS delays.

Given your comments, I think using a BIS account is the way to go. Make sure you leave messages on the server for at least a day as you are doing. All mail should get to the BB, even if it is sent to Entourage.

I also suggest posting in the MAC section and checking the posts there as well.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:55 AM   #4
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

What if he forwardes the mail to gmail or yahoo?
And sets up a gmail or yahoo acct?

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 12-01-2007, 04:39 PM   #5
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by akosnitzky View Post
Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

What if he forwardes the mail to gmail or yahoo?
And sets up a gmail or yahoo acct?
I suggested that.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:23 PM   #6
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Open Entourage. Go to Entourage > Account Settings > double-click on the account you're using with your Blackberry > in the new window that opens, go to the Options tab. Check the box for "Leave a copy of each message on the server". Now Entourage should get the mail and so should your Blackberry.

And do remember it's "Mac", not MAC. Nothing gets a Maclot (Mac zealot) riled up like this little faux pas. It might seem trivial but we Maclots are a fanatic bunch.
Closed Thread