BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 10:50 PM   #1
jnyost
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon
Default Anyone moved from a Palm to a BB?

Please Login to Remove!

My employer is moving everyone to Blackberrys. My manager and his above him were given theirs months ago to play with. They both despised theirs so much that they both went out and purchased Palm PDAs.

I plan to accept mine and to try to make it work to the best of my abilities but I'd like to hear of others hurdles, likes, and dislikes. How do you feel about the screen not being a touch screen? I think their biggest complaint with the thumb wheel.

Thanks for you help
Jared
Old 10-13-2005, 11:02 PM   #2
kable133
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290
Carrier: Rogers Wireless/Canada

I did Jared!

I very recently switched from my Treo 650 (arguably the best smartphone that exists) to a Blackberry.

Here are the pro's and con's between the Blackberry and Treo (Palm):

Pro's (about the Blackberry):
-MUCH more rugged (doesn't feel like it will fall apart)
-MUCH more stable software (I haven't had it freeze or reboot once)
-MUCH longer battery life
-the push email effect
-clarity of voice calls
-data speed

Con's (about the Blackberry)
-poor LCD screens (when compared to my Treo 650 - much brighter)
-no layer of protection between LCD screen and outside world (Treo had that)
-not as much 3rd party software available for it (the Palm OS has tons)
-no features such as: voice recorder, polyphonic rings, speaker phone, etc.

Jared - I personally bought the Blackberry partly because of the Thumbwheel. I absolutely love it! I never used the touch aspect of my Treo phone anyways.

Overall - the Blackberry is not a toy; it should be used for professional purposes (not teens who want to have a "cool" cell phone). The Treo can do a lot more, but the Blackberry does much better with what it is made for!

Please feel free to ask anything else you want - I know that I did before buying my Blackberry!
Old 10-13-2005, 11:13 PM   #3
jnyost

Thanks Kable.

I appreciate the quick response. I'm a little nervous but excited at the same time.

I think my Treo 600 feels pretty solid. I like the heavy dense feeling of it. I've heard great things of the BB ruggedness though.

Random thoughts....
I'm scared of the lack of software.
I'm afraid I won't like the thumb wheel.
I love the Palm Desktop and will miss it.
We use Lotus Notes, not the most user friendly email in the world. Will miss my palm desktop....
Love the push email ability.

Thanks
Jared
Old 10-13-2005, 11:47 PM   #4
wineguy

Model: 8100c
Carrier: Cingular

Like kable133, I just switched from a TREO 650 (personal) to a Blackberry (company). I agree on the pros and cons on his list. I like using the Blackberry for work reasons (I now don't come back to 100 e-mails when I am out of town), but I really miss all the features of the TREO like the camera, MP3 ringtones, 3rd party software.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:25 AM   #5
koolthang
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7750

I went from a Palm Tungsten C to a Blackberry. I used Palm devices for about 2 years. I miss only 2 things about the Palm:

- scribbling notes with the stylus (never had to scramble for a pen & paper)
- being able to sort notes in the memopad by date.

Yes, the Palm has a ton of neat apps, games. BUT when the bloody thing crashes at least once a day, you'll stop using anything but the default apps. Even then it still crashes. And being on the road for weeks at a time, with all my appointments on it and the laptop, having to pull over and suck my laptop battery to restore everything was not fun at all.

I've had my BB for over a year now and it has not crashed once. I enjoy peace of mind knowing that i can count on my BB. Much better than a "fatal exception error" in the middle of a road trip while trying to find an important contact that I was supposed to call in 5 mins.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:02 AM   #6
fliedlice

Model: 8700G
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kable133
(not teens who want to have a "cool" cell phone)

I highly disagree with that statement... although I am not a teen. the BB is not just a buisness tool anymore..I purchased my BB personally and dont use it for work near as often as id like to..so the BB for me is mainly a "cool" cellphone.

anyone that still thinks the BB is only meant for buisness people is wrong. especially with the 7100 series of blackberry

with all that said...ive used a few palm devices and wasnt entirely impressed

I will say that the 3rd party apps that are available are sufficent for my uses.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:47 AM   #7
Talldog

Model: 8330

I switched from a Treo 600 to a 7290 almost a year ago, and the only thing I miss is the 3rd party software. The coming Windows Mobile Treo looks interesting (I much prefer WM to PalmOS), but I will never go back to a device that requires use of a stylus for anything.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:10 AM   #8
grilla

Model: none
Carrier: AT & T

I currently have the 650 and want to move to the 8700 for the push email and GPS. The experience in our office is different from others above. Those using a blackberry love the email but think the phone is weak at best. This is the part that makes me nervous about switching. I am seriously considering getting the 8700 and keeping the 650 for use as a phone only.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:18 AM   #9
kitmoni

Model: 8130
PIN: >Options>Status
Carrier: Sprint

Add me to the list - switched from a T650 to a Sprint 7250, and VERY happy. One thing to add to the list above that I didn't see anyone touch on... With a BB, bluetooth ROCKS. Never was satisfied with my Treo's ability in bluetooth, but once I got the BB I was quite impressed. Range is farther, customers are happier with the quality of the sound, and the headset operates more like an extension of the phone than it did on the Treo.

Plus, there aren't too many posts here from people that are on their "4th device now and still getting resets". Blackberry is a great device.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:22 AM   #10
azf100

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

I made the switch. I just got tired of the Palm interface.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:44 AM   #11
penk

Model: 9700
Carrier: v6.0.0.461 on Pink
Default lotsa clicky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyost
I'm scared of the lack of software... I'm afraid I won't like the thumb wheel... I love the Palm Desktop and will miss it... Love the push email ability.
have been a Palm (SONY Clié) user for several years, but after "getting to know" my 7100t, i pick up the clié less and less. i didn't expect to fully replace my pda, and i haven't (yet), but a blackberry might really could maybe sorta be "the one".

the biggest piece of "missing software" will be an MSOffice-friendly software suite. with eOffice running a couple bills, it's way far from the various Palm options. otherwise, multimedia and game apps are the only true laggers in the 'berry patch. if that's what you miss the most, even a basic Palm can handle those at an affordable cost.

the trackwheel becomes less of a burden as you spend time with it, although now and then an application will show up with an insanely long wheel menu. then you hate it all over again. if you get a 7100N model, the wheel is all-but mandatory, although the standard QWERTY models have operable shortcuts to minimize your need to build a callus.

the Palm Desktop is nice. you will miss it.

i love the push email, too. makes me feel important! < smirk >

you'll miss the ability to "scribble" notes via touchscreen, but you won't need to hassle with a stylus again. since you (hopefully) won't lose them, you no longer need to run to Circuit Shack for a three pack of replacement thumbs.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:49 AM   #12
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Used Palm for over 9 Years just got tired of the constant reboots and hangs that I experienced. Was very leary of the BB when it was first introduced to me but after the first month I discovered this forum and have never looked back.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:57 AM   #13
Bennett5000
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Can't we get Palm, BB and MS to just get together?
Old 10-14-2005, 11:05 AM   #14
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

As of today RIM released a Desktop manager that can get information off Palm so thats an even bigger step in the right direction
Old 10-14-2005, 03:20 PM   #15
rctoyguy

Model: 5290

I'm making the change today... I used Palms for several years, IIIxe, Sony Clie - then Windows on a Dell Axim x50v - The blackberry is a hand-me-down at work. My boss is getting a new one, and passing his on to me, so it isn't entirely my choice, but I am anxious to see what all I can do with it. And I am thrilled to have found this board.

I have been syncing my Axim to Outlook, and I hope it is no big deal to sync the BB to Outlook as well.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:44 PM   #16
shadowlesss
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T

Go to the nearest service provider and they usually have the phone there for you to play with. I went to the local Verizon, searched though interface, made calls, played with the scroll wheel to make sure that the BB was what I wanted.

kable133 - I also agree that it is not a toy but is not just for business use either. I originally purchased mine for personal use because it was a "cool" phone as well, but integrated it into my day to day business needs.

Shad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyost
Thanks Kable.

Random thoughts....
I'm scared of the lack of software.
I'm afraid I won't like the thumb wheel.
Love the push email ability.

Thanks
Jared

Kindness Is The Ability To Love
Old 10-14-2005, 04:49 PM   #17
dkf747
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8520
Carrier: TMO

I'll probably seem weird, but I currently use a BB 6230. I just sold a Treo 600 that I could have switched too. I decided the 6230 was better. (that's the weird part.) I'm on the lookout for a 7290 now, didn't like the Treo.

Last edited by dkf747; 10-14-2005 at 04:52 PM..
Old 10-14-2005, 04:56 PM   #18
kable133
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290
Carrier: Rogers Wireless/Canada

I HATED by Treo 600 - my 650 isn't so bad.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:55 PM   #19
jnyost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog
I switched from a Treo 600 to a 7290 almost a year ago, and the only thing I miss is the 3rd party software. The coming Windows Mobile Treo looks interesting (I much prefer WM to PalmOS), but I will never go back to a device that requires use of a stylus for anything.
Do you find that you are able to do things as fast without a stylus?
Old 10-14-2005, 08:08 PM   #20
jnyost

Thank you very much for all of your input.

The general consensus seems to be that I'll eventually love it. I'm looking forward to it. I just hope the 7100 verizon version comes out soon enough. I'd prefer that form factor compared to the 7250s.

I do like my Treo 600 and it never crashes. I've always been of the opinion that palm makes the most stable pda os. When I was in IT at my previous employer, Palms were the only support devices and the only ones that would be reimbursed. I just heard from my previous coworkers that they just purchased Treo 650s for all sales and service employees to integrate with the new CRM.

Thanks all...
Jared
Closed Thread