Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Just curious

Please Login to Remove!

about a few things that i want to ask/know

-can we watch movies on our BB?
(would you have to download like a flash player or something?)

-trying to install visual voicemail but it wont let me?
(does it come with the basic BB data plan?)

-to delete an app, it basically just gets unistalled in the BB apps My World?
(i still see the icon thats why)

-does ANYBODY know if the "iamt-pain" app is going to come out for BB?
(its basically autotunes & so far its only for iphone )

-what is the difference between browswer & web2go?
(ive been using broswer most of the time, ive heard there are apps that you can download a faster browser?)

-what is the difference between standby mode & beside mode?

-any pre installed apps already on the BB free? such as TeleNav GPS Navigator? also some in the downloads/game folder?

Sorry everyone i have alot of questions, ill prolly have more in the future. i just didnt want to keep making a new thread, so i put all my questions in this one. ill try my best to help answer any questions you guys may have as you would do for me. one love, blackberry unite! haha
Old 12-03-2009, 07:09 AM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

Yes, as long as they were the correct format, there is the ability to watch movies.
There is no flash player, and you don't need to download anything to watch them.

No, to delete: Options (wrench icon) - advanced - applications. highlight application. menu - delete.
It may still show in app world though (as uninstalled) because app world is silly.

web2go is likely a WAP browser, browser is like internet explorer.

Standby mode, puts your device to sleep, saving battery. Bedside mode, can be set to turn off the radio (so no calls, texts, emails etc) and show the clock. It doesnt put the device to sleep, it still uses same amount of the battery.

Telenav might be there, depends on the carrier I believe.
There wont be anything like facebook, or yahoo messenger etc.
Just the standard stuff that comes with the phone, as well as a couple of games.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 12-03-2009, 10:53 AM   #3
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

Let's see...
  1. As MidnightDraven stated, they must be formatted correctly to play on BlackBerry devices, but you can definitely watch movies. No, you do not need (nor can you install) Flash.
  2. Call your provider to get Visual Voicemail setup properly.
  3. Not necessarily. To uninstall an application, highlight the icon on the applications screen, press the menu button, and select Delete. NOTE: If the application has been installed via AppWorld, then when you delete it, the application gets archived, and a link to the archive appears in your downloads folder. If you want to delete the archive, go into AppWorld, select the application in your list of installed/archived applications, press the menu button, and select Delete. Bear in mind, however, that the application will still be listed so that you can easily reinstall it if you want to. And whatever you do, do not delete the archive outside of AppWorld. If you do and aren't careful, you will delete AppWorld itself.
  4. Please, please, please stop with the T-Pain application junk. Please. Just stop now while you are ahead.
  5. I have no idea what Web2Go is. Sorry.
  6. Standby mode is a power-saving mode. Bedside mode is a mode that you can set the phone to enter automatically when charging the phone. You have options to disable the LED, turn off the radio, change your profile, dim the screen (but it stays on to display the clock), select a clock face, etc. There is actually quite a bit you can get the phone to do in bedside mode. This feature works best (but doesn't require) the charging dock. With the dock, you can put the phone in the dock on your bedside table, and you now have a very functional alarm clock. Plus, the phone is charging while acting like a clock, so in the morning, your battery is topped off and you are ready for the day. Works especially well on trips.
  7. There are several links to free applications already on the 9700, including Facebook and MySpace. Note, however, that some of those links are for paid applications. Safe bet: most of the junk that is pushed to the phone is just that... junk. Hide the icons and put them out of your mind.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:52 PM   #4
ukulele_ninja
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: AT&T

Why in the flying hell do you want an antares autotune clone on your cell phone? Do you walk around singing into it and it makes you feel better about yourself or something? Not to be completely an ass but the fact that an app like that exists anywhere is ridiculous... seriously. Its bad enough that people pay money for 'artists' that use antares in such a grotesque fashion to begin with.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:57 PM   #5
Ekilla
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks for your replies back guys.

Ok so for movies we can just transfer it to our BB desktop? And what format does it have to be in? MP4? This would be taking a lot of memory huh?

Ill be calling my phone provider for visual voicemail soon. But what exactly does it do for you?

What's wrong with the t-pain app? Haha
I think its fun to use! Then again everyone has their own opinion...

As for instant messaging, I only use AIM. It signs me off if I stay online for a long time. Is there a way to stay signed on or is that just how it is? I'd like to use BB messenger but I'm guessing its only if your friends have a BB as well.

Well that's ?'s for now. Gotta get back to work. Thanks again guys!
Old 12-03-2009, 07:15 PM   #6
sjlsystem
Thumbs Must Hurt

WEB2GO is T-Mobiles WAP browser. This browser is restricted though and will not work with all web sites. You should have a standard "Internet Browser" as well. To check, go to options/advanced options/browser - then under default browser click and you should be able to select "Internet browser" as your default. If you don't see "Internet Browser" then you need to call T-Mobile and make sure they push this option to your phone. I had this particular issue and spent two hours with T-Mobile and then RIMM - in the end RIMM told me that if I don't see the "internet browser" its a T-Mobile provisioning issue.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:46 PM   #7
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Psst... it's RIM as in Research In Motion, not RIMM. Unless you are talking about stocks. Then it's RIMM. Or RIM.TO.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 12-04-2009, 12:47 AM   #8
DaveTheA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Bell Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekilla View Post
Thanks for your replies back guys.

Ok so for movies we can just transfer it to our BB desktop? And what format does it have to be in? MP4? This would be taking a lot of memory huh?
Here's what I'm doing --

After looking around for MP4 content and not finding anything much, I discovered a program called Xilisoft DVD to 3GP Converter which promises to rip DVD content and convert it specifically to MP4 for Blackberry. I gave it a try and sure enough, it works pretty well.

Right now I'm ripping TV series DVDs [first season of The Wire]. Each hour-long episode converts to about 170mb on my hard disk. When I use the Roxio Media manager to put them on my BB, Roxio asks me if it should convert my rips again for my device. At first I said 'no' but there were some serious artifacting problems when I played the video. I tried again and said 'yes'...and it worked a lot better. The video files somehow increased in size to over 400mb, however when I played them they looked great and were quite watchable, with a few oddities. For some reason, the BB player didn't like the show's title music, and would play it for 7 seconds, go silent for 2 seconds and then repeat this as long as the music went on. It also introduced a slight lag to the dialogue track, enough to be noticeable, but still quite watchable. I'll have to explore the settings and experiment, but as it is, I can put several hours of TV on my BB [8 gig microSD card] along with lots of music. The impact on the battery was minimal...two hours of viewing dropped the indicator only about 10-15% [guesstimate].

YMMV, but this is what worked for me. It's not 100% quality viewing, but it's good enough to fill the hours of whatever idle time you have that doesn't present a better option. I haven't tried to rip a full movie yet, and I suspect that something designed for the big screen might not be worth watching on the BB screen. Still, it will be easy enough to try...
Old 12-04-2009, 01:25 AM   #9
Ekilla
Thumbs Must Hurt

sounds like a good idea DaveTheA, but is the program xilisoft dvd to 3gp free? Everyone loves free haha. Also does this mean i need to download roxio as well? Or can i use another program that i alreay have on my laptop. So not 100% quality? Aww that sucks, but i guess it will do. maybe 90-95% quality?
Old 12-04-2009, 01:33 AM   #10
Ekilla
Thumbs Must Hurt

Question: Using browser & Youtube is working fine playing vids and all, but why does anyone else find the quality to be horrible? Is there anyway to change the quality to make it look better, or am i asking too much? haha
Old 12-04-2009, 02:07 AM   #11
DaveTheA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Bell Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekilla View Post
sounds like a good idea DaveTheA, but is the program xilisoft dvd to 3gp free? Everyone loves free haha. Also does this mean i need to download roxio as well? Or can i use another program that i alreay have on my laptop. So not 100% quality? Aww that sucks, but i guess it will do. maybe 90-95% quality?
Nope -- It costs about as much as a TV series season on DVD [ie.US$30]. Maybe there is a freeware converter out there...be sure to let us know if you find one. . I found this to be worth it...I've got a big bunch of TV series DVDs that I haven't gotten around to watching, and suddenly it's going to be a lot more convenient. If you are a public transit commuter, it would be the ideal thing.

DVD to 3GP Converter: Convert DVD to 3GP video

The Roxio Media Manager is part of your Blackberry desktop manager. It's kind of slow and clunky, but it gets the job done.

Yes, 90-95% quality...the picture is very nice, and the sound is pretty good, glitches aside.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:48 AM   #12
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Get HandBrake. It's free and very, very good.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 12-05-2009, 02:55 PM   #13
Ekilla
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
Get HandBrake. It's free and very, very good.
what app is that? i searched it on BB app world & nothing comes up.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:25 PM   #14
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

Its not for your blackberry, its for your PC, to convert videos to transfer to your BB.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Closed Thread