BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 03:33 PM   #1
Reins
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: torch
PIN: N/A
Carrier: orange
Default 4th Torch handset and still not working!

Please Login to Remove!

Patience has gone - Blackberry Torch is absolute crap - Is anyone else having all their calls cutting out.. Orange tell me providing they keep supplying phones I cannot complain! Not their problem that they don't work.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: 4th Torch handset and still not working!

How do you know it is the device and not the network? Just asking. I'm curious.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
Reins

Dear Forum,

Running 6.0 Bundle 1907 on BB Torch.

I can't hear incoming callers on handset mode or speakerphone mode. The caller can sometimes hear me on both modes and at other times can't/

Have done the following but to no avail:

- Wiped BB
- Removed battery and rebooted
- Removed 3rd party applications
_ changed it to work on 3g or 2g or both
Old 06-22-2011, 03:56 PM   #4
Reins

Did wonder - but my old Blackberry Curve works fine on same signal. Orange said might problem with 3g signal, but when I do online check it says 3g fine in my area for Orange .
Old 06-22-2011, 03:58 PM   #5
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Was that the same issue on all four devices, or different devices different problems.

And, have to ask, have you veried the speakers work? Can you play an audio file through the phone speaker and the speakerphone speaker?

I'm assuming you checked the call volume settings....correct? Again, have to ask.

Can you -- or have you -- tested yourself? What happens, for instance, if you call the cell phone from a land line number, or even from another cell phone number?

EDIT: Just saw your other thread. So, it isn't that you hear nothing. It is intermittant. Is that correct?

Last edited by aiharkness; 06-22-2011 at 04:01 PM..
Old 06-22-2011, 04:03 PM   #6
Reins

This problem on all of them. They verified speakers working in the shop. Call volume settings checked too. If I call cell from another cell or landline, the same thing happens, sometimes it works and other times not at all - just
breaks up and goes to silence, I can't hear caller and caller usually can't hear me though sometimes they can and its just me that can't hear them. Having phone on speakerphone makes no difference.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:09 PM   #7
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Beats the heck out of me. I would believe a defective device, but it's hard to believe four defective devices in a row with the same problem. In my opinion the evidence points to the network, no matter what your carrier is saying.

Do you still have the curve? I would be interested in a test on the Torch, then put the SIM in the Curve, and test with the Curve.

I would also be curious to know the results of a test with someone else's SIM in your Torch.

See what other's say.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:17 PM   #8
Reins

Yes, you probably are right. Thanks Matey.

They are now sending a new one out tomorrow mail delivery, saying that maybe the whole batch of phones at shop are defective. What test would you run? That's a cool idea someone else's sim in my Torch, difficulty is its locked and will only take Orange sim, don't know anyone else on Orange. Will look out tomorrow for someone.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:20 PM   #9
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I doubt a bad SIM could case the intermittent problem you are seeing, but there is much I don't know. And besides, I'm just grasping for ideas on things you can do in a process of elimination. But I really do doubt this problem is the BlackBerry device itself. I could be wrong, but it seems very unlikely.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 06-22-2011, 04:32 PM   #10
Reins

Okay, that's interesting.. so if the same thing happens with new handset I should get on to Orange re the network and get them to cancel the contract, which they have refused to do so far.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:44 PM   #11
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

That's over my head. I don't know what your options are. But it would help you with Orange if you had more information other than this BlackBerry of mine keeps losing connection or cutting out. I see their side of things on that....they just exchange the device and send you on your way.

You also may need to talk to someone else. If you've been talking to a salesman in a store, if it were me I would call the corporate customer service number and tell them you've had this problem, it isn't being solved, etc. etc. And don't let anyone pat you on the head and send you off. Be polite. The problem is real, not your imagination. You are just looking for a solution. You will be happy with a solution. You want THEM to provide a solution. Don't bring up them letting you out of the contract until it becomes obvious THEY can't provide a solution. Document who you talk to, when, and what you are told. Ask how they document customer contact, get that identifying information, and write it down. Each time you talk to them, refer to previous contacts.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:41 PM   #12
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller
Carrier: Verizon

Are you activating the phone or is the carrier or their rep?? If the carrier or their rep is activating then phone might be the issue. If you are the one activating then I would check and see if you may have accidentally caused the problem.

I always try and have the Verizon store activate my phones. On more than one occasion a phone (mostly LGs) were DOA.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:31 AM   #13
Thiego-uk
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: SGS2
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

ask them to try the phone on the shop with their Sim, im sure they have a step for test.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:10 AM   #14
Reins

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
That's over my head. I don't know what your options are. But it would help you with Orange if you had more information other than this BlackBerry of mine keeps losing connection or cutting out. I see their side of things on that....they just exchange the device and send you on your way.

You also may need to talk to someone else. If you've been talking to a salesman in a store, if it were me I would call the corporate customer service number and tell them you've had this problem, it isn't being solved, etc. etc. And don't let anyone pat you on the head and send you off. Be polite. The problem is real, not your imagination. You are just looking for a solution. You will be happy with a solution. You want THEM to provide a solution. Don't bring up them letting you out of the contract until it becomes obvious THEY can't provide a solution. Document who you talk to, when, and what you are told. Ask how they document customer contact, get that identifying information, and write it down. Each time you talk to them, refer to previous contacts.
Huge thanks to you all much appreciated.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:12 AM   #15
Reins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBOLTRAM View Post
Are you activating the phone or is the carrier or their rep?? If the carrier or their rep is activating then phone might be the issue. If you are the one activating then I would check and see if you may have accidentally caused the problem.

I always try and have the Verizon store activate my phones. On more than one occasion a phone (mostly LGs) were DOA.

Hmmm thanks but don't think that's it. - stick in Sim and then it activates? Orange shop spent a few days with different phones checking them out so I guess activation met their standards.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:33 PM   #16
Reins

Well 5th handset has same problem! Orange chap on phone says escalated to level 2. he suggested its a network problem as there are several outtages in my area.
When we scanned for networks it throws up a few but won't let me select any and he thinks that perhaps is the cause. On my curve- it throws up a few I can select and they all seem to work.

He also is suggesting it might be corrupted info being copied over from my memory but as I had set it up without any numbers and no memory transfer and it still happened, that seems unlikely. In addition SIM works fine in any other phone Blackberry or not except Torch.

I am baffled!
Old 06-28-2011, 01:35 PM   #17
Reins

He wants me to go around to other areas and test phone. As I have already tried it in several postcodes with the same problem :( that seems like their job when they get the phone back! Any one else had this problem?
Closed Thread