BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 02-01-2008, 01:34 PM   #41
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted (BB 8860: BlackBerry8320/4.3.1.22 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Yes. It will work fine with a Verizon BB. This is the best solution for Verizon BB's.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:12 PM   #42
legaleye2005
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile, Verizon

What about comparing this unit to the Holux GPSlim 240... If I already have the Holux unit, any reason to switch or they're both pretty good...?

Thanks
Old 02-06-2008, 05:42 PM   #43
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Unfortunatly, I don't have a Holux GPSlim 240 to compare it with. If someone wants to send me one, I'd be happy to review and compare it. If you have the Holux already, and it's working fine, I can't see any reason to get another one.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:38 AM   #44
dietcoke
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: dCoke
Carrier: o2

I have finally received my replacement unit. It did not take the 10+ days to come this time, but only about 5 days.

I can now confirm that I definitely had a defective unit. This unit is more responsive and doesn't drop signal or bluetooth like the last one. I have not traveled with it for more then 30 minutes... but now when it drops, i quickly, stop gps nav and restart it and a second later I am good to go.

I am a bit disappointed in the customer service, but glad I finally got a replacement that semi works.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:52 PM   #45
angrymic
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

thanks for the pics John.

I am looking to use this device with a Pearl and a Curve, is there software out there that will announce turn by turn to me?
Old 02-22-2008, 10:19 PM   #46
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Yes, try TeleNav.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:41 PM   #47
angrymic
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Yes, try TeleNav.
Thanks

edit: are there any free (software) solutions out there?

Last edited by angrymic; 02-22-2008 at 10:43 PM..
Old 02-28-2008, 10:46 AM   #48
Paul Bowles
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: Orange

AmazeGPS - I know some people have been having issues with the BlackBerry version but I have been using the symbian version for awhile now and it has done a good job for me (its free, good routing and voice prompts).
Old 03-17-2008, 05:12 AM   #49
ackita
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: wind

Hi John,
this we I tried my GPS 2000: you are right, it's fantastic.
it's very fast to take satellite signal, and using with my 8100 BB it never looses the connection.
I tried with:
- Google maps
- BB maps
- Wayfinder 6
All are ok: only wayfinder takes more time to discover gps bluetooth for the first time.
Very good GPS receiver
Old 03-20-2008, 08:28 PM   #50
ztbishop

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default Rely on good connection?

I already have a Garmin eTrex with preloaded citynav maps...a nice handheld color GPS, but not something you really want to carry all the time.
Now I purchased a Blackberry from VZW (and i'm not paying $10/mo for vznav).
That being said, do you think it would be worth buying this in my case? I really would like to avoid carrying my eTrex around for general use (just use it for hiking, mountain biking, etc where I don't want to break my phone). My main concern is: When you drive out in the boonies and don't get a good internet connection do you find Google Maps failing a lot out in the country? (Slow data)...if this is the case I'll just not bother since I have a Garmin device. Thanks for any input.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:11 AM   #51
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

Depending on your needs and how far you travel, data can fail in the boonies, I believe. But there are a few applications where you can download maps in advance of travel and place them on the phone. Then you would not need data (data is for the maps). The gps gets its stuff from satellites and will work on the phone without data if you already have the maps.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:42 PM   #52
mharellano7

Carrier: T-mobile
Unhappy Heidi

I just got a BB 8320. I am not subscribing to the internet connection right now but do have unlimited email. I want to use the GPS feature without having the internet. Is this possible? I am an amature at this whole BB deal and am clueless. I need some guidance on how to get GPS up and going?
And how it all works. Do I have to have internet for my BB or can I somehow do it through my computer or other means?

Thanks
Old 09-03-2008, 09:29 AM   #53
Ellvira

Angry Problems with Keychain GPS 2000

I too am having the exact same problems. I have tried 3 different programs with the same results. I like GPSED for tracking my morning walks but after a few blocks it just quits. Orange light goes out. I turn it off and on and the orange light comes back on but the only way to get it working again is to do a hard reboot on the Blackberry (Curve 8320). I am getting very frustrated! I did notice that if I have it plugged in to the car and don't touch it that it seems to stay working. Did we find out the solution or is it a defective puck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietcoke View Post
This is what I hear....

I got my Keychain GPS 2000 last week. It is a spectacular device. I do not want to detract or stop anyone from buying it. It is a great price and an awesome product.

However I am having some difficulties with it. I have been in contact with Chris at Freedom and they are just about ready to send me a replacement...

here are my issues... please let me know if you experience this so I know it is not the receiver but the os like suggested above.

I have a alittle bit over an hour's commute to and from work. That is about 2 hours a day in the car. I have been testing out the gps keychain on every trip.

Here is what happens like clockwork...

-turn on unit and connect to either blackberry maps, google maps, or amazegps.
-device works perfectly for 20-45 minutes.
-the keychain then goes black (no lights) it will stay that way for about a minute and then all of a sudden the bluetooth light will flash... My 8320 has lost the bluetooth link and does not reconnect.
- I then power cycle off the keychain and power cycle it back on.... I get a lock instantly to a satellite.....

On Blackberry maps, i have to exit out and restart it again to get the gps working again with the bluetooth link.

On Google Maps, upon keychain restart, Google then finds me again to within 20 meters and continues on its merry way.

Amazegps does the same thing as Blackberry maps and just doesn't work after the device goes dark, unless I restart the application.

I have been told by Chris, as well as the post above, that they personally went to rim and asked them to fix this "bug". They say it is a known bug in the bluetooth stack.

Am I experiencing this bug? or is my keychain defective?

I have a globalstat gps puck, that I will try using today on my way home. If that disconnects after 20-45 minutes then i will know for sure if it is the blackberry or the keychain....

IS this what others are experiencing? maybe with other devices as well?
Old 09-03-2008, 09:56 AM   #54
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Ellvira, upgrade your OS to 4.5 and the problem will go away. I haven't had any more Bluetooth issues since the 4.5 upgrade.

this thread will help. Just follow the instructions here:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...languages.html
Old 11-03-2008, 10:31 AM   #55
Paul Bowles
Thumbs Must Hurt

As a Christmas special to BBforum members we are offering both the Freedom Universal Keyboard˛ and Freedom Keychain GPS 2000 with a 10% discount (or 15% discount if you buy both together).

For more information please check the thread below:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/spon...ml#post1156347
Old 11-17-2008, 05:46 AM   #56
hell_spawn27

Carrier: Airtel

any idea as whether it works anywhere in the world?? Asia with Google maps?
Old 11-17-2008, 10:58 AM   #57
John Clark
BBF Moderator

GPS satellites are around the world. GPS works pretty much around the world. I assume Google has maps for Asia...never tried though. You can try Google maps without the GPS first to see.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:16 AM   #58
Tre Lawrence
Knows Where the Search Button Is

This review encouraged me to buy.

I tell ya, along with Telenav, it is the one item that allows me to have, IMHO, the complete smartphone. It came up big for me in the first week of ownership (allowed me to summon help to a stranded/injured motorist after an accident in the middle of nowhere).

"Fantastic" does not adequately describe this item.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:31 PM   #59
Paul Bowles
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tre Lawrence View Post
This review encouraged me to buy.

I tell ya, along with Telenav, it is the one item that allows me to have, IMHO, the complete smartphone. It came up big for me in the first week of ownership (allowed me to summon help to a stranded/injured motorist after an accident in the middle of nowhere).

"Fantastic" does not adequately describe this item.
Excellent, its always good to hear when people like are products but to hear how they are really helping people is brilliant

Paul Bowles
Technical Manager - Freedom Input
Old 04-10-2009, 12:44 PM   #60
antlass

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMobile

I'm so happy to have found this thread! I'm looking to purchase one of these and use it both for my Pearl 8100 and with my new netbook! Any discounts to be had anywhere?