BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 01:59 AM   #1
Lotus99
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers
Default When BT headset's connected, is there no way to answer call on phone?

Please Login to Remove!

This really bugs me, given that I could do it on my 3 year old SE T616... even if the headset was connected via BT, if I pressed the green answer button on the phone, I'd be able to answer the call in the phone, but if I pressed the button on the headset, the headset would answer the call. It's actually quite useful as you may not have the headset handy at the moment the phone rings for whatever reason, and if you press the answer button on the phone currently, the headset picks it up and you're screwed if you left the headset in your pocket for example. Aargh! Pls. tell me it's some sort of setting...
Old 01-22-2007, 02:02 AM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

That's how it works. It is a little annoying...
Old 01-22-2007, 10:24 AM   #3
digidep
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-moblie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiro
This really bugs me, given that I could do it on my 3 year old SE T616... even if the headset was connected via BT, if I pressed the green answer button on the phone, I'd be able to answer the call in the phone, but if I pressed the button on the headset, the headset would answer the call. It's actually quite useful as you may not have the headset handy at the moment the phone rings for whatever reason, and if you press the answer button on the phone currently, the headset picks it up and you're screwed if you left the headset in your pocket for example. Aargh! Pls. tell me it's some sort of setting...
You can choose to Activate the Handset from the Menu option when the bluetooth is connected.

When I can't find my headset, I just tell people that they've been Bluetoothed.

digidep
Old 01-22-2007, 12:07 PM   #4
mobilehavoc
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: None
Carrier: Cingular

One solution is to get a flip-open BT headset like the Moto H700 which is what I use. It remains off and then when you get a call, you flip-open the boom of the BT headset and it connects/answers the call in less than 5 seconds.

This way, if I decide to answer the call via the phone..I just don't open the BT headset boom and answer the call regularly.

This approach also means the H700 and more importantly Pearl battery life is GREATLY increased since there's only an active connection when it's in use.

I've been using these Moto flip-open headsets for 2 years now and swear by them...I only have to charge them once a week or so and the phone I use them with never suffers bad battery life because of BT.

Give them a shot.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:43 PM   #5
Lotus99
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidep
You can choose to Activate the Handset from the Menu option when the bluetooth is connected.digidep
I've searched the manual, and the main menu Options (wrench) but can't find what you're referring to. Can you pls. give me details? Thanks.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:48 PM   #6
Lotus99
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilehavoc
One solution is to get a flip-open BT headset like the Moto H700 which is what I use. I've been using these Moto flip-open headsets for 2 years now and swear by them...
I actually had an HS850 I got about 1.5 years ago. Then it crapped out on me after a year, the mic died, but I could hear the other person fine. I remember the old moto flip phones sucked b/c they'd eventually die from all the flipping open and shut. I'm guessing that's what happened to my headset. I went into a phone store and the rep there said the exact same thing happened to him on his 850.

I have a Samsung WEP-150, which is great call quality, but for some freakin' reason doesn't want to do voice dialing even though it's supposed to.

I saw the 700 in a store and tried it, and it's small, light and instant connections and voice dialing works well. My only reservation with it is still long term reliability when you spend so much money.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:54 PM   #7
canonbomb1987
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8100c

Quote:
I've searched the manual, and the main menu Options (wrench) but can't find what you're referring to. Can you pls. give me details? Thanks.
When you are talking to someone press the trackball and select "use headset" option.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:55 PM   #8
RoadRider
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
....My only reservation with it is still long term reliability when you spend so much money.
From my experience, your concerns are well founded. I went through two of those puppies due to failure in the folding mechanism (got so touchy, just looking at it would cause it to disconnect while open. Good idea, frail execution. I moved on.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:42 PM   #9
Lotus99
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRider
I went through two of those puppies due to failure in the folding mechanism
Do you mean the H700 or the HS850's? I wonder if they've improved with the H700 on this issue specifically. Regardless, with anything that you're mechanically opening and closing so many times a day, it's bound to break sooner than later compared to other headsets...
Old 01-22-2007, 02:45 PM   #10
Lotus99
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonbomb1987
When you are talking to someone press the trackball and select "use headset" option.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:31 PM   #11
canonbomb1987
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8100c

Quote:
Glad to help.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:28 AM   #12
jcextreme
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Tmobile

Got my headset from a not so big brand and it has this function where you can transfer calls between phone and the headset. Rarely use it but the only option i'd suggest is turn the headset off or BT off during/before the call.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:54 AM   #13
mobilehavoc
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: None

I also had my HS850 not really break but fractures develop on the boom and whatnot...it still works mind you. HOWEVER, the H700 DOES NOT have the same problems as the HS850 - they more than likely realized the issue and seem to have fixed it. My wife has a H700 and so do I, they're both in perfect condition after months of hard use unlike the HS850.

You can find a H700 online esp. on eBay for < $50 which is a good price IMHO. It works VERY well with the BB Pearl as well. Connections are instant, Voice dialing works great and the H700 even has a built in mute which is a nice feature for conference calls, etc.

Check it out.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:53 PM   #14
thahitman6064

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I don't know of any phone that doesn't let you switch to handset mode when in Bluetooth. You just have to hit the menu key and use handset should be an option
Old 01-31-2007, 12:26 AM   #15
Lotus99
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default quick way to transfer call if your BT headset's not around

When you press the green talk button, it will answer in your headset. Then instantly press the O button to get the loudspeaker, and it switches from headset to the phone. That way at least you can talk, or buy time until you press the trackball to transfer the call to the handset.

What do you think about that?!
Closed Thread