Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 07:27 AM   #1
RogersJoel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers
Exclamation Can't use old backup file...HELPPPPP

Please Login to Remove!

Ok so my computer crashed a while ago and i had the comp shop recover my data....or more move my recovered data to a new drive. I found the old backup archive and am now trying to use those files to restore a new berrry.
I keep getting this error message;
"the file could not be opened. IT does not appear to be a valid device database file."

Can anyone help? If i can't use these files I am screwed and would have lost over 700 critical contacts!!

Thanks
Joel

I am using a backup file from a curve trying to load onto a pearl...but that shouldn't make a diff.
Also, I just tried copying the file and pasting it to another location and i get an error message saying that
"Cannot copy. Access is denied. Make sure disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use."

Last edited by RogersJoel; 12-05-2007 at 07:32 AM..
Old 12-05-2007, 07:31 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (8800: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

No problem using the Curve backup to a Pearl. Look in our faq section, Third Part applications for "ABC Amber IPD file converter" and see if that will translate the file. Good luck.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:01 AM   #3
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Man this is a brutal situation JS beat me to it in suggesting the amber software
Hopefully worst case is you can print your contacts and reload!this makes me want to do an alternate backup onto a flash drive o to a cd "just in case"
Old 12-05-2007, 05:32 PM   #4
RogersJoel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

:( Tried that application and it couldn't open the file either. Its almost like the file is locked to the old desktop manager or locked and protected somehow. It won't let me copy it paste it or anything. Its there but it gets error messages similar to saying it is in use by another program.

Oh please someone out there have a solution!
Old 04-01-2008, 11:18 PM   #5
scooter12ga

Model: 8700g
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersJoel View Post
:( Tried that application and it couldn't open the file either. Its almost like the file is locked to the old desktop manager or locked and protected somehow. It won't let me copy it paste it or anything. Its there but it gets error messages similar to saying it is in use by another program.

Oh please someone out there have a solution!
Got this from another thread somewhere...works awesomely!!!
I SOLVED my problem that I couldnt copy rename or even open the file in a different program like ABC. Reason for my problem with the ipd backup file was because security permission on the file is turned off when on a different computer. when in the explorer window of the folder that the ipd file is located in go to tools>folder options> view> then all the way at the bottom uncheck "use simple file sharing" click ok the right click on the ipd file and go to properties>security>advance>owner then click on your username and make sure it pops up at the "current owner of this item" then click ok and then ok again now right click on the ipd file then go to properties>security>add> then under "enter the object names" type everyone then click ok and click on your username and under "Allow" click "full control" then ok and the file should open with desktop manager. i had the problem all the guys had here and this was my solution hopefully its the same for the rest of you
Old 04-01-2008, 11:34 PM   #6
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

well good scooter, thanks for that tip.

Welcome to the Forums.
Closed Thread