Old 04-30-2006, 06:15 AM   #21
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dispatcher35
I upgraded last night and was not prompted to change my e-mail address. It let me keep my @nextel.blackberry.net address. I do have a couple of questions that I don't understand and hope someone can answer.
  1. When I go to delete a message from my BB I now have 3 options, Delete from Handheld, Delete from Inbox and Handheld or Cancel. If I go for Delete from Handheld and In box does that mean the message is also gone from my POP3 account or whatever account it was sent to and is never to be read again?
  2. If I set up a filter not to forward selected messages that are sent to my @nextel.blackberry.net address does that mean that these messages go to never never land and can never be read anywhere?
  3. I know that I used to be able to go to the Nextel BIS site and read messages that were sent to my BIS address. With the upgrade I assume that the only place I can read these messages is from my BB?

Mike
1. If you delete from Mailbox and Handheld and you have mailbox reconcilation set to delete (default) on the BB it will delete it from the remote mail account.

2. It will not sent to your BB and with the new BIS you will not be able to access it from your BIS account.

3. Yes.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:32 AM   #22
jojitsu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330M
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

Okay. I am trying to follow this whole thing.
1) Yesterday I upgraded my BIS.
2) Now I have my original Messages Icon, and also the same with just the Arrow going around it (this one has [email address] on it).
3)What's the difference? I know I receive my PINS on one, but I get all my emails on both. Is this just set up wrong?
4) My other email accounts are forwarded to my BB. Should I just enter them into BIS as other email accounts?

Everything is working fine. I just want to know whether I should Hide the new Icon or what is it for?
Old 04-30-2006, 01:37 PM   #23
whsbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojitsu
2) Now I have my original Messages Icon, and also the same with just the Arrow going around it (this one has [email address] on it).
3)What's the difference? I know I receive my PINS on one, but I get all my emails on both. Is this just set up wrong?
4) My other email accounts are forwarded to my BB. Should I just enter them into BIS as other email accounts?

Everything is working fine. I just want to know whether I should Hide the new Icon or what is it for?
When you configure a remote email address on the BIS it will place an email icon assocaited with the remote mail address. The mail address [email address] will be associated with the main mail icon on your BB. This same mail icon will list ALL messages from ALL accounts. You can manage ALL your accounts from the main mail icon including sending/replying to your remote configured accounts.

Do some reading in the Blackberry Network forum for detailed information regarding the new BIS workings.

http://blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22
Old 04-30-2006, 02:42 PM   #24
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Quote:

Just hide the new icons. They will be needed when you want to configure that particular account. Other than that you can still use the original message icon and it works fine. Just hide the new ones and it makes no difference in daily use.

Polling has not changed with BIS2.0
Old 04-30-2006, 02:47 PM   #25
HIH
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520

Now we can NOT access the emails online, meaning, you won't be able to set up filters to get rid of the spams

Any expert out there to shed light on SPAM prevention?
Old 04-30-2006, 02:47 PM   #26
HIH
Thumbs Must Hurt

Have you tried hiding the icon?? No, you can't

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt
Just hide the new icons. They will be needed when you want to configure that particular account. Other than that you can still use the original message icon and it works fine. Just hide the new ones and it makes no difference in daily use.

Old 04-30-2006, 02:55 PM   #27
whsbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIH
Now we can NOT access the emails online, meaning, you won't be able to set up filters to get rid of the spams

Yes you can. For each account configured on the BIS (including the carrier.blackberry.net account), click on the Filter link associated for each account. There you can setup filters.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:59 PM   #28
BERDucky
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7290

You can most certainly hide the extra icons - i've done it on my handhelds
as for filters - even though there's no inbox you can still sign in and set up filters

The difference is that you now set up filters for each account - perhaps a bit more work but also gives you more flexability. Personally, i'd set up the main filter for each accont to NOT forward to the handheld...then set upa flter to forward on only email sent to that specifica address (i.e. your BIS address, your Gmail, your Yahoo!, etc etc) Any email you stop from going to your handheld via your additional emails will still be in the original inbox for that accont

hope that helps
Old 04-30-2006, 03:21 PM   #29
ToY9CiTO

Model: 7105T

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/2.0 (compatible; MSIE 3.02; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320) BlackBerry7520/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/103)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt
Quote:

Polling has not changed with BIS 2.0? Excuse my ignorance but what is Polling?
Old 04-30-2006, 03:35 PM   #30
ToY9CiTO

Model: 7105T

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/2.0 (compatible; MSIE 3.02; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320) BlackBerry7520/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/103)

Well now that my bb client email has changed from @nextel. Bb. To @sprint.bb. Can I also get the EVDo speeds that many sprint customers have been raving about for the last couple weeks? Don't we all wish.....btw quick auestionanyone know what the data speed is on nextel bb data plan as compared to the other carriers? I've called many times and spoken to bb cust support but I never get a straight answer...m
Old 04-30-2006, 04:04 PM   #31
whsbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToY9CiTO

Polling has not changed with BIS 2.0? Excuse my ignorance but what is Polling?
Polling is where the BIS contacts the remote mail server to check if new email has arrived. If so, it will collect the new email and send it to the BB for that mail account.
Old 04-30-2006, 04:35 PM   #32
Berry One

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIH

SPAM prevention or SPAM minimization for BIS 2.0:

Delete blackberry email address from BIS. You can do that in BIS 2.0, which will kill SPAM sent directly to your blackberry email address.

If you must have blackberry email address, for forwarding perhaps, create new blackberry address and make it hard to guess.

Easy to guess: john@sprint....
Hard to guess: j_123abs45.aqwer.nbx23_4m98@sprint....
Old 04-30-2006, 04:48 PM   #33
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIH
Have you tried hiding the icon?? No, you can't
I beg your pardon! I have 3 email accounts and after the upgrade got 4 additional icons, one for each account and the "N" icon for setting the accounts up. ALL ARE NOW HIDDEN. They are not required and can be hidden as your message still show up in your message folder.

Yes I CAN!
Old 04-30-2006, 07:33 PM   #34
BilltheCat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100i

When I did it my address - [email address] *has* two r's in it.

Your local Nextel admin must be a bad speller!
Old 04-30-2006, 08:05 PM   #35
jwaters
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Nextel

I have all my mail forwarded to Gmail for the spam filters, then to my BB. I have it set up as directed in the Gmail, should I forward or POP thread. Is this upgrade going to mess up using gmail in this way?
Old 04-30-2006, 08:36 PM   #36
BERDucky
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7290

Gmail works the same in 1.8 and 2.0 - 15 min polling if you add as POP; real time if you forward it to your BIS address
Old 04-30-2006, 09:46 PM   #37
SimpleComplex
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: TMO8120 & Sprint8330
Wink Oh Mah Gah! ...

Gang, all I can say is "oh MAAAH GAH!" Apparently all this hullabaloo over the [one R] blackbery.net address was some technie's or admin's (within Sprint/Nextel) fault. And a big fault at that.

Now that I've gone back to my BIS site, I deleted the old blackbery.net [one R], and when I re-clicked to create the address once again, it switched to blackberry.net [two R].

I mean what a pain in my butt! Anyhow, all is fine my small world now.

Cheers!
Closed Thread