BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 11-27-2007, 07:40 PM   #1
eagle
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T
Default Review of Boxwave Designio Leather case for Curve

Please Login to Remove!

Having replaced our 1 yr old Nokia e62, I wanted a case similar to the one we had with the Nokia. We wanted a leather case with a screen protector, an open keyboard, and a swivel clip.

Selections meeting our criteria are painfully limited. I only found the Aviator case from Blackberryden and the Designio case from Boxwave.

PCgirl offered a lot of help with info about the Aviator case she got for her Curve. She gave her honest evaluation and provided pictures also! Thanks again pcgirl. I was leaning towards the Aviator but I opted for the Designio instead.

The Aviator and the Designio cases are almost identical. However, upon closer examination of the Aviator pictures submitted by pcgirl in the Best Case for the Curve thread (http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...se-curve.html), I noticed that the top left edge of the case is open meaning the front top and back top edges of the case are not attached/sewn together. It's probably not an issue, but I just thought it might open wider over time, loosen the fit, and possibly collect unwanted deposits.

The Designio case comes in a sturdy jewelry quality box. The box contains the leather case inside a black pouch (nice touch) and the swivel clip with the removable screw.

BOX AND THE CURVE:

CASE IN THE BOX:

CASE, POUCH, AND SWIVEL CLIP:

The Curve fits snugly in the case. With the case still being new, you actually have to give it just a little push to get it completely into the case.

Immediately, you notice how nice the Curve looks in it. It looks exactly like it does on the Boxwave website. Very very nice. It has all the required cutouts on the top, bottom, both sides, and the back. No need to tug or pull or slide the case to coax it into alignment. The case lines up perfectly with the Curve.

The thick plastic film provides display screen protection from scuffs or scratches. Not only that, I'm also hoping that the screen protector and the snug fit will help prevent the dreaded "dust under the screen" problem that seems to plague the Curve as reported by other owners. The protector is 100% transparent. The display suffers no distortion or blurriness from it.

The button on the top rear snaps securely shut. Again no need to tug on it to snap it in place.

RIGHT SIDE:

LEFT SIDE:

BOTTOM:

TOP (face up):

TOP (face down):

BACK:

FRONT:

Now onto the swivel clip and the removable screw. The screw installs to the back of the case easily. You have to use a really thin blade screwdriver though because the slot is very narrow. Once the screw is installed, it's only a matter of sliding and releasing the swivel clip onto it. The clip however can be improved.

It pales in comparison to the Fortte clip I had with my e62. The Designio clip phone release button doesn't have as much travel, so you have to push down a little more to release the phone from the clip.

Unlike the Fortte, the Designio clip lacks the channel where the bottom piece of the clip rests to further help prevent slippage from the belt. See image below.

BOTTOM:

But what I really miss with Fortte clip that the Designio clip lacks is extension at the top of the clip. See images below:

TOP:

SIDE:

This seemingly benign extension on top of the Fortte clip is a very helpful design feature that allows you to compress the clip like a clothespin for easier installation and removal from your belt. With the Designio clip, you have to use both hands to remove it from the belt. Unfortunately, the Fortte clip doesn't fit the Designio screw. I tried but it doesn't fit. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to get used to it.

Another thing I need to get used to is the fact that the leather strip at the front bottom adds height to the front. After using the phone in "naked" form for a couple of weeks, the additional height from the leather thickness changes the feel and reach to the bottom keys. The edge of the strip could be cut a tad lower towards the bottom edge leaving more room to get to the bottom keys.

But other than those minor items, two thumbs up on the Designio leather case.

Thanks,
eagle

Last edited by eagle; 11-28-2007 at 08:29 AM..
Old 11-29-2007, 09:02 PM   #2
PCgirl
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: iP 4S
Talking

Great review, Eagle!

It looks like a very good, high-quality case! Very streamlined. The way they packaged it in the box quite impressive as well! Glad you found a case that works well for you!

Old 11-30-2007, 08:00 AM   #3
PRB
Platinum Sponsor

Model: 8800
Carrier: CINGULAR
Default About clips

Fortte offers a wide variety of clips such as the low profile ratchet clip, heavy duty ratchet clip, leather covered belt clip, free swivel clip and leather covered clips.
Attached in the picture you can view the low profile ratchet clip. We stopped using the screw type stud since it easily ‘loosens’ due to the continuous movement, thus creating a high risks of falling or loosing the phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	low-profile-ratchet-clip.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	9907  
Old 11-30-2007, 09:00 AM   #4
PRB
Platinum Sponsor

Model: 8800
Carrier: CINGULAR
Default Fortte Holiday special

Dear BB Forums members:

Fortte offers a unique Holiday gift

On-line Coupon: HappyBBForums

Free UPS Ground Shipping + Free Business Organizer

Valid until December 31 2007

Thank you for your support!
Old 11-30-2007, 09:04 AM   #5
eagle
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hi PRB,

When shopping for a case, I actually went to your site first since I was impressed with the cases we bought for our Nokia e62.

Unfortunately, you only have the open face case for the Blackberry 8130. You don't have one that has a plastic screen protector.

Hence, I had to look elsewhere.

The 360degree e62 clip doesn't fit the Designio clip stud.
The e62 clip stud is also not removable so I can't transfer it to the Designio case.

I find the removable clips at your site impressive. Also the fact that they are ISO rated.

But would they be a workable replacement/retrofit for the Designio clip?

Thanks,
eagle

Last edited by eagle; 11-30-2007 at 09:08 AM..
Old 11-30-2007, 09:18 AM   #6
eagle
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks pcgirl for all your help.

I'm sure one can't go wrong with either case. Both are quality products.

Thanks,
eagle
Old 12-01-2007, 10:03 PM   #7
SheepDog
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
PIN: ask if you need it
Carrier: Sprint

I didnt really care for the choices for the 8830 myself. Forte would be my primary choice but they just are impressive for the 8830 yet.