BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 07:12 AM   #321
Tennvol
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMobile

Please Login to Remove!

UMA doesn't work if you can't get your calls and data. I installed .37 and saw the WiFi icon light up and then disconnected from EDGE and tried to make a phone call. No dice. No phone calls, no web browser, no JiveTalk. So how can UMA be working? I would say the WiFi portion connects to the BB but the UMA doesn't "work".
Old 05-23-2008, 08:09 AM   #322
jnice

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: att

I upgraded from .18 to .37 last night and I agree it seems to be faster. The only issuse I'm having that is a lot worse from the previous verions is when I type. When I try and type in password field and even here in the forums its a nightmare. Sometime it dosnt highlight and when your type and you hit certen leters it will bring you back to the previous screen or even the address book. It is very fustrating. And I found that it is 3x's worst on the .37.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:17 AM   #323
jnice

I tried the opera mini, but I'm not a fan. If I can't fix this issue I geuss I will just go back to .18. How would I downgrade back to .18, just reload it?
Old 05-23-2008, 08:19 AM   #324
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

How do I downgrade the OS on my BlackBerry? - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 05-23-2008, 08:26 AM   #325
justajason

Carrier: at&t

Youre QUICK!
Old 05-23-2008, 08:53 AM   #326
jnice

Thx guy, has anyone else experienced this text input issue?
Old 05-23-2008, 08:54 AM   #327
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

PIN: t low

I have experienced the text input issue.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:06 AM   #328
jnice

How did you resolve the input issue? Or did you downgrade?
Old 05-23-2008, 12:20 PM   #329
John Clark
BBF Moderator

PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthateme13 View Post
I understand that 4.5.0.37 doesnt show UMA but UMA is DEFINITLY working for me aside from getting all my calls and data (BBmessenger as my my test) working flawlessly, im alsot able to send bbm's and emails while on the phone
You can do all of that without UMA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthateme13 View Post
Lets not get to worried apparently it doesnt need to say UMA for UMA to work....
Not in this case. In this case UMA doesn't work at all. To test you can turn off the mobile network and try making a call. No dice. UMA gives an error in the diagnostics and it definitely doesn't work.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:29 PM   #330
flash24
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: 3319688F

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnice View Post
How did you resolve the input issue? Or did you downgrade?
While on the page go to:

* menu
* options
* general properties
* Unselect enable cursor in column view

This will convert your browser page back to 4.2 os format when ever you are viewing pages in column view.
Great fix for the time being

Proud to Serve USAF
Old 05-24-2008, 03:46 PM   #331
Xaneth

Model: 9000

Not sure if 4.2.x had this feature or not, can someone please confirm? I haven't noticed birthdays and anniversaries under the contact before, is that new? It also adds it into the calendar as a recurring event.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:03 PM   #332
Fled
No longer Registered.

Model: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaneth View Post
Not sure if 4.2.x had this feature or not, can someone please confirm? I haven't noticed birthdays and anniversaries under the contact before, is that new? It also adds it into the calendar as a recurring event.
I don't remember the Google Talk field in there before either.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:53 PM   #333
Xaneth

Wirelessly posted (Curve 8310)

One other thing I notice with .18 is that when you try and dial someone from the address book, it switches you to the phone and you have to switch back in order to dial. Small bug in the beta I guess.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:00 PM   #334
ChesterJT
Thumbs Must Hurt

Had downgraded to .109 Rogers on my 8100 after having too many network issues with .18, and just found .37 to try. It's much more stable for me so far. Faster as well and not a single network problem so far. One issue with both builds though is a prolongated startup time. The "desktop" will appear fairly quickly but the hourglass will stay on for a lengthy amount of time. Seems to take a bit to go from edge to EDGE as well. But once loaded up it is a lot better. Still having the Opera Mini issue where it asks for permission every time I start it, but if the BB Browser keeps looking this good I might ditch Opera. Also seems the !Reply Requested thing on texts is gone. That was an annoyance as well, but I'm anal about things haha.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:02 PM   #335
avelasqu
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-Mobile

So, I havent upgraded to .18 or .37 yet.

I love .10, however I seem to have the memory leak issue. Its a pain in the butt.

I am still contemplating on .18 or .37.

I hear that .37 is much more stable, but the UMA calling is broken.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:06 PM   #336
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Use .18 with the radio file from .10. Best combo for the 8320 that I've found so far. The radio file is the one in the "GPRS" folder that is found in the same folder as the "java" folder.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:18 AM   #337
Kittyvamp1884

Model: 9700
PIN: 217FF76D
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

I have to say that although I love this OS to death... (Using .10) I have gotten to the point where I very well may downgrade...

The things that are driving me crazy are numerous so I apologize... looking for some input

the memory card reboot... I have with many other devices gotten it fixed my formatting the card through the pc... then formatting with supported software in device... and then copying all files only through media manager...

For some reason I just can't fix mine though... every time I go through it... I’ll be working fine for a few hours and then it begins... the reboot once again

In addition my service books don't stick... they default and stop working after only a few hours and resending then (via HRT or through service provider tools at work...) don't get them to the device... I have to hard powercycle at least twice before I even get arrows again

Continuing down the list via the servicebooks thing... my email only works through UMA... sometimes... I’ll get the servicebooks when I hit UMA but then it will stop working within a mere hour of it beginning to function...

My MMS service also is spotty at best. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. Already tested with size and format of images doesn’t seem to make a difference… even did can loc and reformats through the network system…

At this point I have lost count of the number of full flashes and app loaders I have done… it just seems to be that I will have to give up and downgrade unless there is something I am missing… I’ve even double checked to make sure I didn’t get a bad version of the beta… and have tried 2 different ones… (Both .10 but both with the same issues on my device and no problems on co-workers devices) I wish I could just blame it on my phone… but I never had even the slightest issue before I upgraded… *sigh* any incite would be helpful although I think at this point I should just settle to give up…

T-Mobile Blackberry PDA Support III
Old 05-28-2008, 10:21 AM   #338
avelasqu
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Use .18 with the radio file from .10. Best combo for the 8320 that I've found so far. The radio file is the one in the "GPRS" folder that is found in the same folder as the "java" folder.
What is the way to do this? Save the radio file, then upgrade to .18 and then replace the radio file?

Where would I find the radio file?

Also, if the above doesnt work for me and I decide to go back to T-Mo's flash, is there a trick to it or does simply flashing it back the suggested process?
Old 05-28-2008, 10:35 AM   #339
John Clark
BBF Moderator

If you're not familiar with where the "java" folder is in the OS installation on your PC then switching the files may not be the best procedure for you. However, basically there is one file named "rim8320g.sfi" in a folder labeled "gprs." I simply renamed the current one in the .18 version to rim8320g.old and moved the same file from .10 into the .18 gprs folder. Then run application loader again. It will go through an entire "downgrade." Make sure to backup your device before doing this and, of course, I'm not responsible for any harm you cause your device in doing this.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:45 AM   #340
avelasqu
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
If you're not familiar with where the "java" folder is in the OS installation on your PC then switching the files may not be the best procedure for you. However, basically there is one file named "rim8320g.sfi" in a folder labeled "gprs." I simply renamed the current one in the .18 version to rim8320g.old and moved the same file from .10 into the .18 gprs folder. Then run application loader again. It will go through an entire "downgrade." Make sure to backup your device before doing this and, of course, I'm not responsible for any harm you cause your device in doing this.
No worries, I have fun doing this kind of stuff. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks again!

EDIT: Its all flashed up, thanks for the help again. <crossing fingers>

EDIT2: Is there a way to verify which Radio file I am using on the device? What I did was installed .18, renamed its radio file to .old and replaced it with .10's radio file and did the Application Loader as John Clark had suggested. I just want to see if there is a way of verifying what I did actually took.

Last edited by avelasqu; 05-28-2008 at 12:36 PM..
Closed Thread