BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Default UPDATED:Repligo for Blackberry

Please Login to Remove!

Repligo for Blackberry

Date reviewed: April 19,2006
Version: 1.2
Price as reviewed: $29.95 for Quaterly subscription; $99.95 for Annual Subscription
Free to try: Yes
Vendor: Cerience
Installation: OTA; Application loader via USB
File size: Not known at this time
Compatible models: 71xx ; 72xx ; 75xx ; 77xx ; 87xx series; OS Version 3.7+
Category: Organizational, Email enhancement

================================================== ========

Welcome back everyone. The Gecko you have come to know and trust brings you a review for Repligo for Blackberry. Repligo is an email Attachment application that brings your email experience to a whole new level. There are several different features that Repligo offers, that its competitors do not. I recently did a review for DocHawk and was contacted by Dave Formanek about Repligo. In my honest opinion, any person or company that takes a proactive stance in their application (asking for a review), has to have a good product. That's right, move over DocHawk, you've got some competition.

Out of the box I was impressed with the features and reliability of Repligo. Doing some research before I tested, I found that Repligo has some features that make it a good investment. The information listed below was pulled from the Repligo website:

Features:
Benefits:
True Document Viewing
Documents look like their desktop counterpart with original fonts, graphics and tables intact, enabling confident access to information, improved collaboration, communication and productivity.
Triple Point Optimizationxxx8482;
RepliGo Professional streamlines document viewing over wireless by adding intelligence to documents at the server, compressing them for wireless delivery and accelerating them for true document viewing on mobile devices.
RepliGo.net Service
Hosted service provides document optimization, Over-The-Air (OTA) application download and online account management, allowing users to be up and running in a matter of minutes.
BlackBerry Integration
RepliGo Professional integrates seamlessly with the BlackBerry email application, making it quick and easy to view attachments.
Flexible Document Access
Offline reading and flexible downloading of bookmarks, pages, and entire documents allows efficient and timely access to even long documents. Zooming and reflowed reading provide an optimal viewing experience.
Popular Format Support
RepliGo Professional supports the most popular file formats, including Adobexxx174; PDF, Microsoftxxx174; Word, PowerPointxxx174; and Excel, zip, and fax and image files such as .bmp, .gif, .png, .jpg and .tif, allowing users to stay in touch with all communications.

Now that you have the features listed for you, lets get on with the pics and the review of each aspect. The main access of Repligo was straight forward the majority of the time, but there was a confusing moment or two. Repligo operates differently than DocHawk and its competitors in that it sends you an email with the converted attachment ready for viewing, rather than just pulling up the application with the document loaded. Below is the options screen that shows your connection information.

Once you receive an email with an attachment, you proceded as normal my highlighting the attachment and clicking the trackwheel. Opposed to selecting open attachment, you are now given another option on the menu box, "Open with Repligo". (as shown below):

This is where Repligo differs from its competitors. Once you select open with Repligo, you are given a pop up that asks if you want to send the attachments as other Attachment viewers operate. What makes Repligo better is that instead of tying up your blackberry waiting for the conversion to complete, you are sent an email from Repligo once the attachment is ready for viewing. This is a BIG plus for the multi-tasker such as me. With this method, you can continue to read other email and enter tasks. When your attachment is ready for viewing, you just open the email and the attachment is brought up for you.

Once the attachment is ready for viewing, you receive a notification in the form of a pop up.:

I must admit that receiving another email to get an attahment seemed a little silly. But Dave explained to me the benefit of using email delivery rather than polling. The explanation made sense...and therefore receiving another email didnt seem like a hassle.

The benefit of Repligo (for someone who is easily pleased, like me) is that the user interface is a nice and clear, showing you what is a PDF and what is an excel File. The clarity of the documents are also very crisp. You can easily view the text on a PDF or spreadsheet at 50% or even 25% (if you have good vision). This makes up for the lack of zoom incremints that I have found with most attachment servers. I still think that having incriments such as 30%, 40%, 60%, 70%, and such...

As with other attachment viewers that I have seen, you can only view one page at a time, no Duplicate pages or continuous scrolling to view all sequential pages. There is a nice download feature which allows you to download all pages at once, rather than downloading when you select next page. This saves time and is a good feature if you may possible lose your network connection due to poor coverage and or receive a DCR error.

If you decide to access/download each page as you choose to view it, rather than downloading all at once, you connect to the server and download as such. Below are Screenshots of the connecting progress screen and the Download option.

Downloading each page individually:

The download all process:

There is a key feature that really differenciates Repligo from it's competitors. Repligo offers document reflowing for easy reading. The sizes range from, Large - Medium - Small. Repligo reformats the page, keeping the original layout, so that the entire contents can be read with out the pain in the a** scrolling.

Just to add a few more informational items. Dave from Cerience informed me of the following information:

"RepliGo Professional is our consumer version of the product and that we also have RepliGo Server available for a behind-the-firewall, secure solution that seamlessly integrates with BES."

Well thats all the pictures from the Gecko..Now on to the final analysis.

While Repligo is a top competitor based on my tests for an attachment manager, there are still a couple of things that I would like to see. The option to display the page as "portrait" or "landscape" would be nice. That would give all attachment viewing applications more functionality. I recently stated that Repligo needed more incriments in their zoom capabilities, but the Read feature eliminates the need for that.

Overall, Repligo is a great program. It is fast, reliable, easy to use, and the viewing is crisp. It provides a great download all feature which was nice. With the read feature and the email with the completed conversion included, Repligo is #1 in my book.

I am giving Repligo 5 out of 5 berries for their must buy application.

Thanks for reading,

The Gecko!!

***NOTE: AT THIS TIME THE REPLIGO BOOKMARK FEATURE IS NOT FUNCTIONAL BECAUSE OF TESTING***

Last edited by coreyg510; 04-21-2006 at 08:23 PM..
Old 04-19-2006, 01:22 PM   #2
Seattle18
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Curve
Carrier: Sprint

Nicely done, Lizard. I had this program a few months ago, but stopped using it because they were having issues with the main feature I needed - bookmarks. Can you give it a test for me please? The way it is supposed to work, if they fixed it, is that when you create a Word document on your PC, include bookmarks in random places. Then send it through Repligo to your BB and open it. Then go to the Bookmarks option and see if they are listed there, and if you can instantly access them. If it works, please post some images and let me know, if it doesn't, please email them and let them know about my previous complaints about it, as well as your new complaints. If you let them know you are reviewing it for the forum they might be more inclined to fix it, assuming they have not done so already, that is... Thanks in advance.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:30 PM   #3
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Dave Formanek was email a link in response to his request to a review. I am sure he will post a response to that issues. Until then, I will check it out for you.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:37 PM   #4
Seattle18

Model: Curve
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks, Reptile.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:15 PM   #5
davef
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle18
The way it is supposed to work, if they fixed it, is that when you create a Word document on your PC, include bookmarks in random places. Then send it through Repligo to your BB and open it. Then go to the Bookmarks option and see if they are listed there, and if you can instantly access them.
Please email your Word document to me and I'll try it out for you.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:32 PM   #6
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Upated with new info..
Old 04-21-2006, 09:04 AM   #7
davef

Corey posted an article about how to receive a 25% discount, which is only valid until April 30th. Click here to read it.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:45 AM   #8
JoeEagle

Model: 8700G

i have downloaded this program to my 8700G, tried to open about 5 docs, and no success. i get messages like "failed 1st stage conversion" what am i doing wrong?
Old 05-20-2006, 12:52 PM   #9
davef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeEagle
i have downloaded this program to my 8700G, tried to open about 5 docs, and no success. i get messages like "failed 1st stage conversion" what am i doing wrong?
This problem is specific to T-Mobile and Comcast. See this thread: http://www.blackberryforums.com/show...255#post243255

You'll need to set up a forward from your Comcast account to another email account on your BlackBerry, preferrably your [email address] account.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:33 PM   #10
koleary19067

Model: STORM
PIN: MOBILE
Carrier: VERIZON

looks like there is an upgrade for this.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:42 PM   #11
davef

Yes. RepliGo Professional 2.0 was just released today. Here's the main product page: RepliGo Professional for BlackBerry

Current users can upgrade for free and new users can start a free 7 day trial by going here: Download RepliGo Professional

Key Features:
  • View Popular Document Formats with Desktop Quality
  • Store Personal Documents Online and Access Them from Your BlackBerry
  • Fax Documents Worldwide Using the Integrated Faxing Service
  • Print Documents Wirelessly over Bluetooth to HP Compatible Printers
  • Share Documents with Anyone Using Built-in Email Attachment Support
  • Navigate Documents with Ease Using Bookmarks and Hyperlinks
Old 10-26-2006, 12:13 PM   #12
Dusty Saddle
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7250
Carrier: Verizon

[QUOTE=davef]Yes. RepliGo Professional 2.0 was just released today. Here's the main product page: RepliGo Professional for BlackBerry

Current users can upgrade for free and new users can start a free 7 day trial by going here: Download RepliGo Professional

Dave,
I downloaded the update yesterday and now I find that I no longer have an option to open attachments except by using Repligo. I would still like the option to open some attachments using the Blackberry attachment service. How do I get it back?
Old 10-26-2006, 12:54 PM   #13
davef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Saddle
Dave,
I downloaded the update yesterday and now I find that I no longer have an option to open attachments except by using Repligo. I would still like the option to open some attachments using the Blackberry attachment service. How do I get it back?
That should not happen. We tested for this case before our release. I just retried the test and was able to open PDF, Word and GIF's with RIM's attachment service. If you can provide me with some more information, I will hunt down an answer for you.

(1) What file types are you not able to open with the attachment service?

(2) What version of the OS are you running? This can be found in the Home Screen > Options > About screen. I need the number that says 4.x.x.x.

(3) Is your BlackBerry connected to a BES?

(4) Can you double check to make sure that the Attachment Service application is installed on your device? Go to Home Screen > Options > Advanced Options > Applications and look for the Attachment Service application.

(5) How are you trying to access the standard attachment service? Are you opening the message and then selecting the Open Attachment menu.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:07 PM   #14
Dusty Saddle

[QUOTE=davef]That should not happen. We tested for this case before our release. I just retried the test and was able to open PDF, Word and GIF's with RIM's attachment service. If you can provide me with some more information, I will hunt down an answer for you.

(1) What file types are you not able to open with the attachment service?
I no longer have the Open Attachment item on my menu.

(2) What version of the OS are you running? This can be found in the Home Screen > Options > About screen. I need the number that says 4.x.x.x.

(3) Is your BlackBerry connected to a BES? No

(4) Can you double check to make sure that the Attachment Service application is installed on your device? Go to Home Screen > Options > Advanced Options > Applications and look for the Attachment Service application.
Application is installed.

(5) How are you trying to access the standard attachment service? Are you opening the message and then selecting the Open Attachment menu.
When I open the message there is no option to Open Attachment. The only option is Open With Repligo.

Hope you can find the problem.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:21 PM   #15
davef

Dusty,

(1) What is the file type you are trying to open? The Open Attachment menu will only show up if the file type is understood by RIM's attachment service.

(2) I realize this may be a pain, but I would uninstall RepliGo and then see if you see the Open Attachment menu after you restart your device. This may be the only way to tell if RepliGo is indeed conflicting with the built-in attachment service.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:29 PM   #16
Dusty Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by davef
Dusty,

(1) What is the file type you are trying to open? The Open Attachment menu will only show up if the file type is understood by RIM's attachment service.
WORD document

(2) I realize this may be a pain, but I would uninstall RepliGo and then see if you see the Open Attachment menu after you restart your device. This may be the only way to tell if RepliGo is indeed conflicting with the built-in attachment service.
I uninstalled RepliGo and I still did not have the Open Attachment menu item. I then uninstalled RIM'S Attachment Service and then reinstalled both and now everything is working fine. Maybe the Halloween gremlins got into my 7250. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:34 PM   #17
davef

Good to hear. In the meantime, I dug up this KB article in case anyone else has a problem with Open Attachment not showing up.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:40 PM   #18
SoxFan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

I have been using the 7 day free trial and am very satisfied with this product.

Are there any discount codes applicable to the 1 year contract rate of $75?
Old 12-06-2006, 02:32 PM   #19
pomc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm

The BES attachment service will not open PDF files created by a document sender or scanner. I believe the error message on the handheld is "document empty", or something along those lines. We use many HP Document Senders at work where people scan pages and then email or save them as a PDF. We'd like our BlackBerry users to be able to view these types of PDFs on their handhelds.

Can Repligo display PDFs created by scanners and document senders?

Thanks.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:42 PM   #20
davef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomc
The BES attachment service will not open PDF files created by a document sender or scanner. I believe the error message on the handheld is "document empty", or something along those lines. We use many HP Document Senders at work where people scan pages and then email or save them as a PDF. We'd like our BlackBerry users to be able to view these types of PDFs on their handhelds.

Can Repligo display PDFs created by scanners and document senders?

Thanks.
It should handle these files just fine. You might try the 7 day free trial available at Welcome to RepliGo.net to test out your files.