Kul
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Z10
Carrier: Vodafone (UK)
Default BES server DR discussion

Please Login to Remove!

scenario:
Running BES 3.6 with Exchange 5.5 with MSDE
only backing up my MSDE database (xx.mdf and xx.ldf)

Now if I wanted to recover from a server failure, and copy the database back, will that give me everything as it was prior to the crash ?

assuming that I dont have the userslist export, but have the SRP, mailbox details, Keys, virtual server name.

And will the users have to recradle ?

Last edited by Kul; 06-01-2005 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: addition of text
Old 06-01-2005, 10:28 AM   #2
udontknowjack

Model: 9000
Carrier: T-Mobile

As long as SRP info and BESadmin mailbox stays the same, you should be ok.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:49 AM   #3
Kul

just to make sure I understand, as long as I have the mdf & ldf and the SRP, BES mailbox info, one can recover the server.

So when do we use the export of the users and servers ?, I thought that if we had the .mdf & .ldf, the DB, SRP + Mailbox info. we can recover the server but it wont have the user info. At this point we would have to manually add the users back in.

However, if we had the users export we could import the names back in with "no to delete pre-existing info selected" and we should then be able to see all users and everything should be running ok.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:38 AM   #4
udontknowjack

Model: 9000
Carrier: T-Mobile

All the users are in the BES admin mailbox. If you create an identical BES server with SAME SRP name and ID using the same BES admin mailbox and fire it up, It will populate all the users. You could even do it with a new database except you would loose any IT policies you may have. The database in 3.6 is mostly used for management and historical information.

Here was my DR scenario for 3.6: I'm on 4.0 now.
We had a standby server with BES installed using same SRP, BESADMIN mailbox and keys. Don't start the services. If our main server goes down, we just start services on the failover box and mail continues to flow, no need for anyone to cradle or anything. The only difference in my scenario is I have a shared SQL database but you could have seperate MSDE databases on each server and if you wanted the Database data from the original server and where backing it up, you could just attach it to your failover server.

Last edited by udontknowjack; 06-01-2005 at 11:44 AM..
Old 06-01-2005, 02:18 PM   #5
Digger
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: VZW

One way we do it is to have an image (Ghost) of the BES server. I have the DB backed up nightly. If the server were to "crash & burn" we could get the same hardware, re-image it, and restore the DB from backup. I have to export the user list every so often but, this way it is simplistic.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:13 PM   #6
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

With BES 3.6, the user list remains intact and pulls from the BES Admin mailbox, I believe. Ask yourself one question - "Do we enable the use IT Policy on the BES?" If the answer is "No", then you do not even have to worry about backing your database up or restoring it in the event of a failure. In 3.6, it stores the IT Policy configuration and your License Keys (which I will assume you have these with your license or written down).

The keys to a cutover would be (as mentioned above in scattered posts): SRP Identifier, SRP Authentication Key, BES Admin mailbox/account, BES Instance name (Virtual Server name). That will be all you need to bring up the BES and have no real interruption for the users (on any handheld OS version). Make sure you have all 4 items in check, though. So if your BES Instance name is PRODBES11, then make sure you put it down as PRODBES11 on the new server (by default, I believe it tries to install as SERVERNAME1, so set that portion manually).

If you do use IT Policy for your users, then you will need to shut down the MSDE/SQL services on the old BES and be sure to copy the MDF/LDF files to the new BES. I wouldn't worry about replicating the database unless you make changes to the IT Policy. You could alternatively recreate the policy on the new BES by hand if its not complex. Or you could just export the values and import (I believe these are on this forum somewhere).

Last edited by jibi; 06-01-2005 at 04:16 PM..
Old 06-02-2005, 03:46 AM   #7
Kul

udontknowjack, Digger, and Jibi thanks for your suggestions, this has been very useful for me in knowing 3 different methods that I can prepare/use in a DR situation.

The good thing here is in both udontknowjack's & Diggers suggestions they require a standby server ready. In Jibi's suggestion, I can do that with a standby server just not plugged onto the network or build it when the situaton arises.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:39 AM   #8
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Well, with mine, I'd say to just simply have the BlackBerry services on Manual and Stopped. You can have it plugged into the network and simply VNC/RDP over to it if/when the need arises to start the services and *boom* - you're up in less than 2 minutes, and your users will experience no real downtime (atleast that they would be aware of).
Old 09-29-2005, 03:05 PM   #9
ttebo

Model: 7290
Default Using the 4.0 migration kit

Does anyone have any experience using the purchased 4.0 migration kit where you are given a new SRP Auth. key and migrate users to a new box?
Have 345 users and think this may be the best way to go!

Last edited by ttebo; 09-29-2005 at 03:28 PM..
Old 09-29-2005, 06:31 PM   #10
greywolfe

Model: 8100
Carrier: optus

If its a 4.0 migration you wont be given a new SRP :P

However, the standalone 4.0 install will perform a new install or an update, either/or.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:20 AM   #11
ttebo

Model: 7290
Default Migration

We purchased a new srp and will be moving users over while the old server w/ the original srp is still running. This is an option that RIM has made available for a fee. My question is should I move the old db over and upgrade and will I loose any data if I choose to do this?
Closed Thread