Old 06-22-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
jrice8002003
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Sound Profile Issues on Bold 9650...and Battery Life

Please Login to Remove!

Just picked up a Bold 9650 over the weekend. Loving it so far, but I've been noticing an issue with the sound profiles. For instance, if I've got the "Normal" sound profile active, I am notified via my selected notification sound when I receive a BBM, SMS, MMS, etc. Then, I may go 2-3 more BBMs, SMS's, or MMS's without being notified by sound. My LED light will light up (like it's supposed to according to my desired settings), but there's no sound. Then I may get 5 in a row that do make a sound. I can't narrow it down past that...so far, it seems random.

I haven't noticed this issue if I have the "Vibrate" profile active...so far, it's just in "Normal" mode. In an attempt to resolve this, I have double and triple-checked all my settings, and even updated to the latest VZW OS last night. Battery pulls, the works. Still having the same issue.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions? If this is a common .732 issue, I guess I'll just have to wait until the next OS update?

My other complaint was battery life, but it looks like I'm not the only one with that one. Has anyone had any luck through Verizon on getting a free replacement battery to try, or possibly an upgraded one? My 2-year-old Curve 8330 lasted just as long as my brand new Bold.

Last edited by jrice8002003; 06-22-2010 at 09:09 PM..
Old 06-23-2010, 09:54 PM   #2
jrice8002003

Wirelessly posted

Battery life was pretty bad today. I barely browsed the web, closed all apps not in use, and mainly just texted today and my phone nearly died tonight. Sound issues were worse than they have been since I got the device. Calling Verizon tomorrow to see about getting a replacement.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:01 AM   #3
diffused
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10

What are your Normal profile settings set at? Also are there hyphens in some of your contacts profiles and not others?
Old 06-24-2010, 11:04 AM   #4
jrice8002003

Wirelessly posted

My Normal profile settings are a custom ringtone for all phone calls.
SMS, MMS, and BBM messages are set to Notifier_BBPro_5 tone, 10 volume,
1 count, "Always" play sound, LED on, Vibration off, notify me during
calls. No LED, ringtone, or vibration for anything else (calendar
appts, e-mails, etc.). What did you have in mind?

Hyphens in contact profiles...you mean within the names of my contacts?
I went through my entire list and found 2 with hyphens. Is this a known
issue? I also have some contacts with slashes, apostrophes, and
parenthesis. What is the significance here?
Old 06-24-2010, 12:55 PM   #5
diffused
Thumbs Must Hurt

OK, there have been some issues with previous OS 5.0's where any punctuation within a contacts phone number would cause the custom alert to revert back to default. That was within text app. It would not read the punctuation. I'm not sure that this is your issue though. You might check one or two of the ones you mentioned that had punctuation, and see that they are not the ones.
On your homescreen click on Sounds, you should see Normal, Medium, Loud, Vib Only, Silent etc. The Normal one presides over all the others. How you set that one will effect the rest. Since there is an option to Edit Profiles, you may have inadvertently adjusted these not knowing it would affect all. Just checking to be sure here.
I am a little confused as to the statement, " No LED, ringtone, or vibration for anything else (calendar
apps, e-mail s, etc.". You just have ringtones set for emails and texts then?
I've been watching this .732 upgrade and have seen anything similar to this. Let me know if anything has helped or you need me to clarify more.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:16 PM   #6
jrice8002003

Wirelessly posted

I don't have any custom alerts based on contacts. All ringers/tones/sounds/alerts are the same for all my contacts. I see what you're saying and how that might affect some users, but like you said, that doesn't appear to be my issue. The fact that it's random (I'll hear a SMS tone for a given person one time and then not the next) puzzles me even more. That's why I was initially thinking it was an OS issue.

As for the statement you
mentioned, I just meant that for anything aside from a phone call, SMS, MMS, or BBM, I don't have any kind of notification set up for any profile. I just like to be notified by sound, vibration, and/or LED for what I consider the most important things
(calls, SMS, MMS, BBMs).
Old 06-24-2010, 03:49 PM   #7
diffused
Thumbs Must Hurt

The only other thing I can think is that within some apps like Bolt and Skype I'm,and an RSS reader, there are no alerts unless I back out of those apps.
By the way, these newer phones will drain a battery a lot faster than the curve. I had one too. I bought the Seidio 2600 extended battery which helped.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:13 PM   #8
dano47

Carrier: verizon
Angry sound pprofile problems w my BB Bold(verizon) 9650

OMG! someone else w the same problem. I just got my BB Bold 9650 a few days ago. Everything was working fine. Then i noticed that when i would place my phone in the vibrate only mode, sounds alerts would still come through when i got a text(sms). The crazy thing is that the sound alert was nothing that i had assigned to any function in the phone. Yes, tried the battery pull, several times. Went to a Verizon store and they were stumped. Called Verizon and they said that they would have to reset the phone. Something i had to do on a land line, so i'm waiting till i get home. I will post my findings tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrice8002003 View Post
Just picked up a Bold 9650 over the weekend. Loving it so far, but I've been noticing an issue with the sound profiles. For instance, if I've got the "Normal" sound profile active, I am notified via my selected notification sound when I receive a BBM, SMS, MMS, etc. Then, I may go 2-3 more BBMs, SMS's, or MMS's without being notified by sound. My LED light will light up (like it's supposed to according to my desired settings), but there's no sound. Then I may get 5 in a row that do make a sound. I can't narrow it down past that...so far, it seems random.

I haven't noticed this issue if I have the "Vibrate" profile active...so far, it's just in "Normal" mode. In an attempt to resolve this, I have double and triple-checked all my settings, and even updated to the latest VZW OS last night. Battery pulls, the works. Still having the same issue.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions? If this is a common .732 issue, I guess I'll just have to wait until the next OS update?

My other complaint was battery life, but it looks like I'm not the only one with that one. Has anyone had any luck through Verizon on getting a free replacement battery to try, or possibly an upgraded one? My 2-year-old Curve 8330 lasted just as long as my brand new Bold.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:38 PM   #9
PJD642

Model: Q10

A couple of suggestions - upgrade to OS version 5.0.0.810 for the 9650 (at the top of the 9600 page). I noticed a significant volume difference between .732 and .810, where .732 was much quieter and .810 is at the same volume as my 9630 was before I got the 9650. Won't fix the strange notification problem, but your volume levels will be normal. I also noticed my battery life seemed to improve slightly, although I haven't been plagued with excessive battery drain like some people report.

Secondly, go though all your contacts (a PITA, I know) and edit them all to ensure you don't have hyphens in any of the contact numbers. Strange things happen when hyphens are included.

Finally, under "Sound Profiles", scroll down to the second from the bottom and choose "Contact Profiles". Choose this and make sure there aren't any contact settings you don't want. I know you said you didn't make any, but on my 9630 it would occasionally create one all by itself for a contact I had edited, resulting in weird ring tones for that person, etc.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:50 PM   #10
dano47

ok here's the results of my consultation with my verizon wireless callback. cutting through the chase! the rep. could not find the problem. had to do a backup of all my contacts then he restored of my complete system, literally restoring everything to it's factory settings. "Yeah that did it". problem solved. Then i spent the rest of the night downloading all my apps again. what a drag, took all my free time last night. just a note i suspect the culprit may have been the Crunchsms app i downloaded from BB app world. i originally downloaded it because i liked the unlimited characters,cool bubbles and stuff.. instead of the limited 160 on my Bold. although i deleted the app, my problem started when i downloaded that app. so beware.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:52 PM   #11
dano47

Wink sound profile problem with BB9650 Bold

ok here's the results of my consultation with my verizon wireless callback. cutting through the chase! the rep. could not find the problem. had to do a backup of all my contacts then he restored of my complete system, literally restoring everything to it's factory settings. "Yeah that did it". problem solved. Then i spent the rest of the night downloading all my apps again. what a drag, took all my free time last night. just a note i suspect the culprit may have been the Crunchsms app i downloaded from BB app world. i originally downloaded it because i liked the unlimited characters,cool bubbles and stuff.. instead of the limited 160 on my Bold. although i deleted the app, my problem started when i downloaded that app. so beware.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:33 PM   #12
BGRAMBO

I deleted all the dashes from my contact numbers and ring tones and other alerts work fine now. (9650)
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 09-13-2010, 08:15 PM   #13
donnab

Model: 9630
Carrier: digicel

My 9630 stopped ringing and I am missing calls what to do
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Closed Thread