Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 09:06 PM   #1
Arnold68

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell
Default Unlocked for Overseas Travel?

Please Login to Remove!

Was browsing through the forums and could not find an answer for this situation. I have the 9530 on Bell Mobility and I travel to Asia at least twice a year. I went to the Bell retail store and was told that there was nothing extra required for me to use the phone in Asia. They said to just install the SIM card that I would get in Asia and I would be able to use my 9530. Can anyone on Bell confirm this?

I don't have any requirement to unlock the phone for North American use as I happy enough with my plan on Bell Mobility.

Thanks for your help,
Arnold
Old 02-23-2009, 10:22 AM   #2
stewsan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-mobile,AIS,Globe

I would find a buddy that has a sim card from T-mo or at&t and put it in your phone to see if it works. It's possible Bell gave you an unlocked BB......
Old 02-23-2009, 10:22 PM   #3
Arnold68

I tried with my Rogers SIM as I am in Canada and the phone would not pickup a Rogers signal after selecting SIM in the configuration. It just said SOS where the signal strength is.

I spoke to my brother in law and he said it possibly might work in Asia because he believed that Asia might use different frequencies then North America on the GSM network and maybe Bell opens up certain frequencies? Is this believable?
Old 02-23-2009, 10:45 PM   #4
david9962000
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9360
Carrier: at&t

But pre-paid services don't have data!
Old 02-24-2009, 11:31 PM   #5
fxstsb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold68 View Post
I tried with my Rogers SIM as I am in Canada and the phone would not pickup a Rogers signal after selecting SIM in the configuration. It just said SOS where the signal strength is.

I spoke to my brother in law and he said it possibly might work in Asia because he believed that Asia might use different frequencies then North America on the GSM network and maybe Bell opens up certain frequencies? Is this believable?
I believe that is correct. They use 1800. The world phone is CDMA and GSM. We tried my sim and it would not work so I deducted it used the GSM1800 and CDMA1900. Any comments? I also agree with doing the T Mo test. Specs show the Storm as a Quad band. That also indicates it is capable of Europe. Vodafone sells them.

Last edited by fxstsb; 02-24-2009 at 11:34 PM..
Old 02-25-2009, 05:54 PM   #6
big samm

Model: 8900
Carrier: Rogers

Wirelessly posted

I think the storm is locked for gsm carriers in north america but unlocked for the rest of the world
Old 02-25-2009, 08:55 PM   #7
2 Samuel 22
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 96xx
PIN: Firing
Carrier: Southern Bell, PrimeCo, Omnipoint, United Telecom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold68 View Post
Was browsing through the forums and could not find an answer for this situation. I have the 9530 on Bell Mobility and I travel to Asia at least twice a year. I went to the Bell retail store and was told that there was nothing extra required for me to use the phone in Asia. They said to just install the SIM card that I would get in Asia and I would be able to use my 9530. Can anyone on Bell confirm this?

I don't have any requirement to unlock the phone for North American use as I happy enough with my plan on Bell Mobility.

Thanks for your help,
Arnold
So long as you have an International Voice/Data plan from Bell you should be set in Japan, just be aware of the rates.

ETA: VZW has coverage in Japan.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:40 AM   #8
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: Ask
Carrier: Verizon

Arnold68,

I travel to Asia and the Middle East rather often. Why would you want to take your Storm abroad and risk losing or damaging it?

I have a cheap throw down phone I use that allows me to make calls and send international SMS when I am abroad. I had a few experiences with seizures that have compelled me to hide or send my memory cards home ahead of me prior to going through customs. Japan is cool, but China, some of the smaller Asian countries, and the Middle East customs agents are famous for just appropriating "contraband", which mysteriously tends to be expensive electronic items. They have never given my indigenous cellular phones a second look.

However, if you have the temerity to bring the Storm along with you, post your findings. I am curious to see how it goes for you.

Verizon 9530
Old 03-03-2009, 09:35 PM   #9
Arnold68

XelhaBB,

I was hoping to be able to still use the BIS service and be able to pickup emails instantly while travelling. A friend of mine in HK/China with a Blackberry is looking into the ability for me to do this however so far he hasn't had much success to tell me if it will be possible. I will go at the end of March and let you know what happens.

Arnold
Old 03-03-2009, 10:22 PM   #10
iamajim
Knows Where the Search Button Is

All good questions, to be sure. My lovely wife had a Tmob/Curve and traveled home to Indonesia with it and experienced no troubles. She was able to access her emails and BB chat which was wonderful for staying in touch. I think she used a local SIM card although we had it unlocked before she left by Tmob. She tired of their service (not good in SoCal) and came over to Vz with me when they had their BOGO. Now we both have Storms. I think XelhaBB makes a good point about your phone being declared "contraband" or some other ruse. Better safe than sorry.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:13 PM   #11
sadosdemetrios
Thumbs Must Hurt

anyone know where to get free unlock codes for the storm?

other than the carrier cause i only had the phone for a month and they wont do it for me
Closed Thread