BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 12:40 PM   #1
just4747
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VZW
Default Unanswered questions about Storm..

Please Login to Remove!

I'm going to keep updating this first post every time I think of another question I had that I couldn't find anywhere on the internet. Keep checking back in case you have the answer to any!

1. 1. How can you (if it's possible) change the lock screen's default blue wallpaper that shows when the phone is in landscape view (lock screen only)?

2. Is the version of Plazmic that is out now a version that supports the Storm? Or is that still upcoming? As most of you know, there are no custom themes yet...

3. Is it a glitch in my .83 OS or is it a real feature that when my Storm is lying still on a table and my fingers are not at all gripping the sides of the phone, when I try to push the screen to activate things on the phone it rarely responds. To make it work, I actually have to have at least a minimal grip on the phone as if I were actually holding it. Perhaps this is a feature so that the screen does not accidentally get pressed unless you are actually holding the phone (even though we have the lock feature as well).

4. Is there any type of shortcut to get to the help/about/status screens without going through the menus or setting them as the side buttons? On my Curve, I loved holding ALT+Shift and pressing H to get to the help screen with my memory, pin, battery level, etc...

5. Are there any shortcuts within the browser to quickly go to the top or bottom of a webpage instantly. On BBs with keyboards, this shortcut is B for bottom and T for top. This question also goes for shortcuts like R for refresh and similar ones. Are there any methods of doing this on the Storm besides in the menu?

6.Still no way to turn the camera shutter sound off huh?

7. Anyone know how/why it is a lot harder to get the keyboard to pop up with a screen stroke on the .83 OS than it was for me on the .78?? It always goes back down when I need to get rid of it but it is near impossible to get it to come up with the stroke. I do it from the very bottom up to the middle but it almost never works...

8. In certain apps like VyMail and a language translator app (Trans something), the SureType keyboard stays up no matter what, the swipe down doesn't work and there's no menu option to hide it either. It is ruining those apps for me as they not only cover half the screen but they also totally screw up the navigation. It's hard to explain that part of it but I can't put my finger on any of the lower buttons, I have to have my finger stay on the screen while slowly moving it down and it eventually has the selector move to the button I want but you have to do it perfect... What is going on here? I know not everyone has this problem with these apps..

9. Since I got the Storm last week, I've loaded a couple 3rd party apps, but no uncommon ones. I am trying to find out why I have lately been getting the App Error 523 screen with the reset button. The occasions when it seems to happen are surprisingly near a time when I had unplugged it from a charger or something similar. The times I can think about have mostly (but not all) been after I installed VyMail, but I don't think it's causing this. Specific times I remember actually seeing the screen up were once today when my phone started ringing and I unplugged the USB charger right after I picked up the phone and started talking...after I ended the convo, it gave the error screen. Another time was yesterday when a combination of things happened..the VZW network was screwy and the phone had the 1xev service but at the same time I had been using a car charger. There were other times too but I don't remember what was happening on the phone right before. I will list my 3rd party apps as well and maybe someone can help me:

AIM, Weather Bug, Google Talk, Google Maps, YouTube, VyMail, Facebook, Myspace, Viigo, BBLight, and Slydial. I don't know if any of these are causing the error, but the fact is that the only ones that are usually running (if any) are Google Talk, BBLight, and VyMail. They are usually the only non-default apps running all the time, but I can't see them being the cause either. Any ideas?

Last edited by just4747; 01-10-2009 at 01:19 PM..
Old 01-08-2009, 12:45 PM   #2
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL

2) As far as I know, it's still upcoming, which explains the lack of themes.

3) I think there was a thread about this started recently.. let me look.

5) If you show the keyboard, you can still use these same shortcuts.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:48 PM   #3
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Here it is - http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...sktop-use.html
Old 01-08-2009, 12:49 PM   #4
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

6) No, unless BerryAnnoying comes out with a version for CDMA devices.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:44 PM   #5
just4747

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachamphetamine View Post
2) 5) If you show the keyboard, you can still use these same shortcuts.
Thanks so far.
As for this one, I bring the keyboard up (only multitap works, the qwerty doesnt seem to do the shortcuts) and I press T for top and it works. But when I press B for bottom, it doesn't work..instead it thinks I'm hitting A for add bookmark. So, how would I use a shortcut assigned to another letter on a key?
Also, why doesn't this work on qwerty where every letter could be accessed separately??
Old 01-08-2009, 02:09 PM   #6
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

The shortcuts should work on the SureType keyboard as I've used them there. I usually avoid the multitap keyboard as I am not a fan of that keypad style. I also just tested it on the landscape QWERTY keyboard and the T/B shortcuts work for me as well, so I don't know why they aren't working for you.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:01 PM   #7
just4747

Okay now it works on those..nice.
But what happened to the R shortcut for refresh? On SureType it is the second letter on the key so it wouldn't work..and on qwerty it doesn't work by hitting R either..what gives??

Also, anyone know how to change that landscape view wallpaper of the lock screen?? (that boring default blue background)
Old 01-08-2009, 06:19 PM   #8
Vertioch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Verizon

I agree the blue picture is ugly....

But... there comes a point when I think we really are picking nits when we want the lock screen in landscape to show xxx...

What'd be cool is if they made a slideshow of your pictures as a screensaver... only for use in bedside mode when it's charging... but that'd be cool... cooler than the clock even. It might even make me want to go out and by the cool looking cradle...
Old 01-08-2009, 06:56 PM   #9
Spawneh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Vodafone NZ

4) Hold Backspace, then hit the top left release top right release top left release top right release.

Should just be real quick so Back + Click top left/right/left/right release back
Old 01-08-2009, 11:51 PM   #10
NinjaRAT
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: noyb
Carrier: VZN

3) Think about it. If the touch screen required touching a physical part of the device while touching the screen, then why would a skin work with the device at all? With my skin and holding the device, no part of my body is in physical contact with the device, save for the finger touching the screen.

And for the record, I manipulate the screen a lot of times while it's laying on my desk, so I have to believe it is either user error, or a defective device.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:18 AM   #11
just4747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawneh View Post
4) Hold Backspace, then hit the top left release top right release top left release top right release.

Should just be real quick so Back + Click top left/right/left/right release back
What???? How would that work? It just puts it to sleep..you are talking about the top left and right buttons as in lock and mute? There's no fricken way, where'd you get that one??

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaRAT View Post
3) Think about it. If the touch screen required touching a physical part of the device while touching the screen, then why would a skin work with the device at all? With my skin and holding the device, no part of my body is in physical contact with the device, save for the finger touching the screen.

And for the record, I manipulate the screen a lot of times while it's laying on my desk, so I have to believe it is either user error, or a defective device.
I think it's more of the pressure on either side that makes the touchscreen respond. It probably is a built-in function but sometimes it does work without grabbing the sides, so it's hard to tell really..

Last edited by just4747; 01-09-2009 at 09:20 AM..
Old 01-09-2009, 01:03 PM   #12
Vertioch
Thumbs Must Hurt

TO pull up the status, hold the back (esc) key, then press the top of the screen (in portrait), LRLR while holding the esc key. Actually, it works in landscape or portrait.

I tried it on mine and it works.

(It was confusing to me too, til I tried the screen)

I don't have issues w/ using mine while it's lying flat on my desk. (I do it all the time when listening to music to switch songs for example).

Last edited by Vertioch; 01-09-2009 at 01:07 PM..
Old 01-09-2009, 01:10 PM   #13
just4747

Ahh you are correct..I apologize Spawneh, didn't understand what you meant by LRLR at first, but awesome!!

TWO NEW PROBLEMS:

7. Anyone know how/why it is a lot harder to get the keyboard to pop up with a screen stroke on the .83 OS than it was for me on the .78?? It always goes back down when I need to get rid of it but it is near impossible to get it to come up with the stroke. I do it from the very bottom up to the middle but it almost never works...

8. In certain apps like VyMail and a language translator app (Trans something), the SureType keyboard stays up no matter what, the swipe down doesn't work and there's no menu option to hide it either. It is ruining those apps for me as they not only cover half the screen but they also totally screw up the navigation. It's hard to explain that part of it but I can't put my finger on any of the lower buttons, I have to have my finger stay on the screen while slowly moving it down and it eventually has the selector move to the button I want but you have to do it perfect... What is going on here? I know not everyone has this problem with these apps..

Last edited by just4747; 01-09-2009 at 03:06 PM..
Old 01-09-2009, 04:26 PM   #14
just4747

Update: Number 8 was answered by another forum. It was the compatibility mode being on by default on those apps...works great now that it is off!

Can anyone help me out with the remaining questions, which are numbers 1 and 7 in the original post? Thanks so far!

Last edited by just4747; 01-09-2009 at 05:20 PM..
Old 01-09-2009, 05:47 PM   #15
corruptblitz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9810
PIN: 280D51C5
Carrier: AT&T

You can lower the sound of the shutter by going into the camera application while you're on a call (voicemail works well) and taking a picture then. The shutter sound comes out of the headset speaker instead of the speakerphone. I could swear on my old Curve it made it not make the shutter sound at all. I've read that the reason you can't disable shutter sounds is because people were using camera phones to take pictures of other people without their knowledge.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:10 PM   #16
just4747

Thanks,
updated the original post with one more as well (below). Still looking for the answer to numbers 1 and 7 and this new one, #9:

9. Since I got the Storm last week, I've loaded a couple 3rd party apps, but no uncommon ones. I am trying to find out why I have lately been getting the App Error 523 screen with the reset button. The occasions when it seems to happen are surprisingly near a time when I had unplugged it from a charger or something similar. The times I can think about have mostly (but not all) been after I installed VyMail, but I don't think it's causing this. Specific times I remember actually seeing the screen up were once today when my phone started ringing and I unplugged the USB charger right after I picked up the phone and started talking...after I ended the convo, it gave the error screen. Another time was yesterday when a combination of things happened..the VZW network was screwy and the phone had the 1xev service but at the same time I had been using a car charger. There were other times too but I don't remember what was happening on the phone right before. I will list my 3rd party apps as well and maybe someone can help me:

AIM, Weather Bug, Google Talk, Google Maps, YouTube, VyMail, Facebook, Myspace, Viigo, BBLight, and Slydial. I don't know if any of these are causing the error, but the fact is that the only ones that are usually running (if any) are Google Talk, BBLight, and VyMail. They are usually the only non-default apps running all the time, but I can't see them being the cause either. Any ideas?

Last edited by just4747; 01-10-2009 at 01:20 PM..
Old 01-10-2009, 01:32 PM   #17
PHLAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4747 View Post
What???? How would that work? It just puts it to sleep..you are talking about the top left and right buttons as in lock and mute? There's no fricken way, where'd you get that one??
Maybe I can clarify. Hold the Back button and click the top left OF THE SCREEN, then the top right, then the top left, then the top right.

He left out the important part saying to hit the screen.

My BlackBerry Storm Wallpapers
Old 01-10-2009, 01:34 PM   #18
just4747

Lol read above dude, I already realized that when someone else told me what you meant and I apologized
Old 01-10-2009, 02:14 PM   #19
just4747

Got my answer to number 7 from Crackberry, and there was indeed a reason why it is harder to get the keyboard to show with the gesture shortcut (swiping from the very bottom up to the middle of the screen). The thing is that the older OSes let you do this gesture slower and it would work, but on the newer ones like .83 and .85, you have to do a much quicker flick from the absolute bottom up to the middle. The reason is so you don't do this by accident as often. If you do that very quick flick up from the bottom, it works almost every time. And just do the reverse to hide it.

So...are we sure there's no way to change that wallpaper on the landscape view of the lock screen? And can anyone help with my App Error issue (Questions number 1 and 9)?
Old 01-10-2009, 04:20 PM   #20
dhendriksen

Wirelessly posted

There is no way to change the landscape wallpaper, locked or unlocked.

I know, it sucks. Hopefully we can change that when Plazmic 4.7 comes out.