Old 05-28-2009, 03:25 PM   #41
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dskid807 View Post
Just my $0.02 but I think RIM should offer the option of a hybrid OS that runs android apps in a VM with the standard BB OS as a host. I also think that recently the BB OS has been evolving well and all we need is more devs that are willing to code for BB's.
That would be a kludge to end all kludges. RIM is already having enough problems with its buggy OSs.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:02 PM   #42
rjw3000
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Charm
Carrier: T-Mobile

Forget Android, RIM should get daring and make a separate consumer OS for their customers who buy their phones for personal use.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:41 AM   #43
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjw3000 View Post
Forget Android, RIM should get daring and make a separate consumer OS for their customers who buy their phones for personal use.
Why not just make a new OS period. The current one is a bit long in the tooth.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:08 AM   #44
PaulMdx
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310
PIN: T of Guinness
Carrier: O2 UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
Why not just make a new OS period. The current one is a bit long in the tooth.
The underlying platform isn't really the problem. If anything needs changing it's the UI elements, which they could do whilst still keeping the core security, messaging model and platform that RIM are reknown for.

Users aren't wowed by the iPhone OS or Android by the underlying platform. They are wowed by the responsiveness of the UI, the app design and the hardware support (accelerometer, etc), in other words, the user experience.

The BB user experience can be improved whilst still keeping the underlying OS. In fact, the 4.6 and 4.7 versions are starting to show this happening.

I believe RIM have had the wake up call that they needed.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:54 PM   #45
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMdx View Post
The underlying platform isn't really the problem. If anything needs changing it's the UI elements, which they could do whilst still keeping the core security, messaging model and platform that RIM are reknown for.

Users aren't wowed by the iPhone OS or Android by the underlying platform. They are wowed by the responsiveness of the UI, the app design and the hardware support (accelerometer, etc), in other words, the user experience.

The BB user experience can be improved whilst still keeping the underlying OS. In fact, the 4.6 and 4.7 versions are starting to show this happening.

I believe RIM have had the wake up call that they needed.
I agree. Making the OS more responsive (snappy™) rather than changing it is how RIM should proceed. I also wouldn't mind if they ironed out some of the little instability issues that have crept in. These java crashes we sometimes see are a relatively new phenomenon. The basic RIM OS has always been near bullet-proof. I suppose that when any OS gets more complicated and opens up to third-party developers this kind of thing is inevitable, but it's a troubling trend none the less.

Another troubling trend is RIM's releasing new models with seemingly half-baked OS's. Early versions are typically plagued with problems and we all become unwitting beta testers.
Closed Thread