mnorman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sand View Post
I guess I spoke too soon regarding a successful Outlook 2010 sync. One BB does fine but I can't get the calendar to sync to the other one. I banged away but got nowhere.

I reset the sync configuration and now I can't even get it to "set up" the sync. I have nothing synced to it - I have attached a print screen of the error message.

I have no idea what to do with this...

Sandy
See KB20654 above. It's not going to happen until Research In Morbidity releases DM6.x. If you want to stay with BB, there are several workarounds. I'm using the one above, but I wonder: If your WIN764 is XPMODE enabled, a relatively straight-forward procedure, and if XPMODE has been configured to support USB, then you should be able to install a legacy version of Outlook and DM in the virtual machine and simply use that until (ahem...ahem...) until RIM gets religion. Or you can follow some of the herd here and seek greener pastures.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #42
The Sand
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9810

I am 32 bit. I was surprised by this because I tested Office 2010 for a week before I installed it on other machines... for 7 days I synced fine - now one BB is a train wreck (the other one, which is not mine, syncs fine.)

I restored a backup to the problem BB from months ago and then tried syncing it to Office 2007 (I still have access to Office 2007) and got nowhere... no sync - nothing.

You are lucky you were able to find a workaround - I have been able to find none.

The BB is my "get it done" smartphone in regard to email/business. I have another thread regarding the lack of email sync with Yahoo through the BIS - RIM is aware and are working on it with Yahoo... it's been at least 6 weeks and nothing.

So I have no full email sync, no contact sync, no task sync and no calendar sync on my "get it done" phone. And because I restored back an older backup nothing on my BB is current...

I really never thought RIM would leave me in this bad of a state...

Sandy
Old 07-09-2010, 03:14 PM   #43
mnorman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
I am 32 bit. I was surprised by this because I tested Office 2010 for a week before I installed it on other machines... for 7 days I synced fine - now one BB is a train wreck (the other one, which is not mine, syncs fine.)

I restored a backup to the problem BB from months ago and then tried syncing it to Office 2007 (I still have access to Office 2007) and got nowhere... no sync - nothing.

You are lucky you were able to find a workaround - I have been able to find none.

The BB is my "get it done" smartphone in regard to email/business. I have another thread regarding the lack of email sync with Yahoo through the BIS - RIM is aware and are working on it with Yahoo... it's been at least 6 weeks and nothing.

So I have no full email sync, no contact sync, no task sync and no calendar sync on my "get it done" phone. And because I restored back an older backup nothing on my BB is current...

I really never thought RIM would leave me in this bad of a state...

Sandy
I was considering Companionlink; less than a good workaround since it requires you to install DM 5.x. and costs $50+, which means when RIM finally gets around to issuing the new software you're out the money and the time it will take to clear 5.x off your machine -- and it will take time. Apparently CL supplants the Intellisync module, which, I'm guessing, is in code that simply won't work with 64-bit or, judging from your experience, even 32-bit WIN7. Anyway, I haven't seen any other substitute.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:07 PM   #44
The Sand

Thanks for the info...

I appears RIM is also struggling with the BIS. My mail won't "separate" when it is configured to do so and I can't send/receive any mail from my ATT account.

I went in and deleted every email account through the BIS which should take care of this... it simply takes it off the BB and then you set the email up again through the BIS.

The accounts WON'T delete off the BB... no matter what I do. If I can't delete them I can't reset them...

It's just getting worse...

No need to respond - this is just me imploding
Old 07-09-2010, 05:26 PM   #45
lifesaver1
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon
Default Outlook 32 in August Outlook 64 Someday ...

BlackBerry Desktop Support for Outlook 2010 Coming in August - PCWorld
Old 07-10-2010, 12:42 PM   #46
mnorman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Given RIM's track record, it'll probably be 8-31 at 11:59PM. Two minutes searching on the WEB and you come across posts like this After five years, 64-bit editions of Windows make up nearly half of install base - International Business Times which tell you that "...by June 2010, 46% of all PCs running Windows 7 were running the 64-bit edition." We ought to take up a collection, hire a cadre of remedial reading teachers and send them to RIM's board room.

Meanwhile, anyone running DM on Mac OSX Snow Leopard and syncing with either Apple Mail or Entourage?
Old 07-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #47
The Sand

The newer computers are coming 64 bit - it is the future - for RIM to remain relevant they need to deliver 64 bit and sooner than next year. Heck, they need to at least deliver a successful 32 bit...

I got out of the mess I was in... Restoring back a backup did not work - I had to wipe the handheld and restore back a backup made "before" I started syncing with 2010 - because the current backups had the problem on them. So the restore delivered information that was outdated... but I do have access to Outlook 2007 and was then able to get the BB up to speed.

I have another smartphone syncing Outlook 2010 stellar - funny because I thought it would be the other way around - go figure...

The HTC is coming soon with Windows 7 mobile on it ("Microsoft" should be able to sync "Microsoft")... RIM has some competition ahead.

Sandy
Old 07-12-2010, 07:24 AM   #48
CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnorman View Post
Given RIM's track record, it'll probably be 8-31 at 11:59PM. Two minutes searching on the WEB and you come across posts like this After five years, 64-bit editions of Windows make up nearly half of install base - International Business Times which tell you that "...by June 2010, 46% of all PCs running Windows 7 were running the 64-bit edition." We ought to take up a collection, hire a cadre of remedial reading teachers and send them to RIM's board room.

Meanwhile, anyone running DM on Mac OSX Snow Leopard and syncing with either Apple Mail or Entourage?
That is a very small part of all PCs. There is more to making a 64 bit app than recompiling the 32 bit version.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:55 AM   #49
NeilDK

PIN: 31677AEC

I am a bit confused by this. Did RIM not know Outlook 2010 was coming? Why is it taking so long to bet a version of Desktop Manager that will work with Outlook 2010? And 64-bit support will be "in 2011"?

Syncing with Outlook is a major thing to most BlackBerry users. Clearly, RIM doesn't know this...
Old 07-12-2010, 09:57 AM   #50
d3m14n

Model: 8700
Carrier: Movistar

here is the scary truth: from KB17149 Blackberry Technical Solution Center

"Currently, BlackBerry Desktop Manager 5.0.1 does not support Microsoft Outlook 2010 64-bit version for mailbox connectivity and synchronization of organizer data such as Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, and Memos. The next release of the BlackBerry Desktop Manager provides support for Microsoft Outlook 2010 32-bit version only. This release is targeted for August 2010. Support for Microsoft Outlook 2010 64-bit version will be available in 2011."
Old 07-12-2010, 12:36 PM   #51
lifesaver1

Default Overview of the Outlook 2010 Debacle

To answer some questions and state some opinions:

a) Microsoft Office 2010 (including Outlook) was made available to anyone who wanted to try it as a free beta, starting in November 2009. This is not something Microsoft was hiding from RIM or anyone else.

b) On an unknown date, Microsoft posted information for authors of programs, like Desktop Manager, that explained that some rewrite of such programs would be needed to work with the new version of Office. Here are the details:
Building MAPI Applications on 32-Bit and 64-Bit Platforms
Because there are many, many applications designed independently of Microsoft to work with Office (and other MS programs), it is the responsibility of those developers, in this case RIM, to keep abreast of the changes to programs they design to work with Office. Clearly, Outlook is a program relied upon by many, if not most RIM customers and to which they wish to sync. (I am neither an employee or even really a fan of Microsoft.)

c) In a post on this BB on May 3, 2010 (message #9), a poster stated, “Outlook 2010 is no longer in beta, yet there is no support from RIM! Outlook was in beta long enough for Blackberry to have a Beta connector as well. To say that "Outlook is beta therefore don't expect support" is ridiculous as we all know that it will eventually release. Now we are left in a position where we cannot sync to Outlook anymore.”

d) In a direct reply from RIM Tech Support on this BB on May 4, 2010 (message #10), RIM Tech Support stated, “Office 2010 will be supported once when is available for consumers. That will be in June.” (This has clearly proven false.)

e) After some rather substantial frustration expressed here and elsewhere, and perhaps thousands of hours wasted by RIM customers, trying fruitlessly to sync and trying various workarounds, RIM posted a technical bulletin (dated July 9, 2010) entitled, “Support for Microsoft Outlook 2010 64-bit version,” stating that, “Currently, BlackBerry Desktop Manager 5.0.1 does not support Microsoft Outlook 2010 64-bit version for mailbox connectivity and synchronization of organizer data such as Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, and Memos.” This further stated that, “When the next release of the BlackBerry Desktop Manager is available (targeted for August 2010), it will only have support for the 32-bit version of Microsoft Outlook 2010. The 64-bit version of Microsoft Outlook 2010 is not supported.”

Summary opinions:

1) RIM knew or should have known that a new version of Outlook was being issued and that RIM customers would likely upgrade to this version and wish to maintain sync ability.

2) RIM did not modify Desktop Manager during the six months plus of beta availability of the program.

3) RIM posted bogus information on this BB stating that the program would be modified in June 2010.

4) RIM did not widely disseminate information to its customers to help them avoid the frustrations and wasted time of trying to sync their new installations of Outlook, when this was not possible. Many customers likely wasted thousands of hours in total.

5) It is likely that most customers have installed the 32 bit version of Office 2010, as this is the one recommended by MS. It appears that support for those customers is coming sometime soon. Some customers will have installed the 64 bit version of Office 2010, considering that it is available at no extra cost and is likely the future default. Those customers are essentially being ignored by RIM and told that support may come sometime in 2011. Their only recourse is to uninstall the 64 bit version of Office and reinstall the 32 bit version, again wasting vast amounts of time. (There is no provision in Office to simply downgrade to 32 bit.)

6) What kind of company, generating the revenues and presumably desiring the loyalty of customers, treats them thus?
Old 07-12-2010, 01:19 PM   #52
mnorman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesaver1 View Post
To answer some questions and state some opinions:

a) Microsoft Office 2010 (including Outlook) was made available to anyone who wanted to try it as a free beta, starting in November 2009. This is not something Microsoft was hiding from RIM or anyone else.<clip>
I think that pretty much sums things up: a business device that can not download business dates and contacts from the latest version of the most ubiquitous contact manager on the market. One of these days when R-I-M is R-I-P, maybe this will be a case study at business schools. Until then, maybe some can get Techmeme interested in this story.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:14 PM   #53
The Sand

The only reason I had access to Outlook 2007 is I saved a computer backup image of it - I restored my computer back to that image just so I could get my BB out of the mess it was in. I have since restored the most recent image back to that computer. The computers sync pst files and everything else is 2010.

We "share" calendars - so really I am having to put it on my BB - go home and manually put it on the computer and then manually put it on the other BB. It has gotten confusing real fast...

I know RIM knows this looks bad... They aren't stupid. I just hope they deliver quickly...

Sandy
Old 07-13-2010, 08:00 AM   #54
mnorman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
The only reason I had access to Outlook 2007 is I saved a computer backup image of it - I restored my computer back to that image just so I could get my BB out of the mess it was in. I have since restored the most recent image back to that computer. The computers sync pst files and everything else is 2010.

We "share" calendars - so really I am having to put it on my BB - go home and manually put it on the computer and then manually put it on the other BB. It has gotten confusing real fast...

I know RIM knows this looks bad... They aren't stupid. I just hope they deliver quickly...

Sandy
Well this sort of jury-rigging made me wonder about a virtual setup under XP Mode on WIN7. You'd install Office 2010 on the HD and forget Outlook 2010 for the moment. Then in XPMODE you install DM 4.6 and either Outlook 2003 or 2007, then make sure USB is supported on the virtual machine. Then you simply use the virtual BB-Outlook setup until RIM delivers DM 6.x. Let's face it: RIM made its own product legacy by its maddening inaction, and XPMODE is the answer to working legacy apps and devices. BTW, I don't know about the rest of the list, but I'm getting little solace out of the iPhone4 troubles, not one moment of schanden freude because I'm still exercised at the numbskulls at RIM. The most recent poster here was right: WE'VE ALL pissed away countless hours on workarounds while the company either sat silently or simply obfuscated.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:12 PM   #55
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Wonder if this should be moved to rants and raves soon...

Follow me on Twitter
Old 07-13-2010, 02:37 PM   #56
The Sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnorman View Post
Well this sort of jury-rigging made me wonder about a virtual setup under XP Mode on WIN7. You'd install Office 2010 on the HD and forget Outlook 2010 for the moment. Then in XPMODE you install DM 4.6 and either Outlook 2003 or 2007, then make sure USB is supported on the virtual machine. Then you simply use the virtual BB-Outlook setup until RIM delivers DM 6.x. Let's face it: RIM made its own product legacy by its maddening inaction, and XPMODE is the answer to working legacy apps and devices. BTW, I don't know about the rest of the list, but I'm getting little solace out of the iPhone4 troubles, not one moment of schanden freude because I'm still exercised at the numbskulls at RIM. The most recent poster here was right: WE'VE ALL pissed away countless hours on workarounds while the company either sat silently or simply obfuscated.

It's a good workaround but that computer is not capable of running anything virtual. I may have to restore back an image to an older computer (an image with 2007 on it,) do a forced sync of 2010 to 2007 (to get it current) and use that computer to sync the BB. It depends on how long it takes RIM...

As for moving this to Rants and Raves... yes there is complaining (legitimate in my opinion as this problem cost a lot of us A LOT of work) but there is also a lot of good information here on how to work through or around this problem...

Sandy
Old 07-13-2010, 03:56 PM   #57
mnorman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO86 View Post
Wonder if this should be moved to rants and raves soon...
Which marginalizes it, but I get your point -- we should either use this forum to suggest work-arounds or, when it finally arrives, alert users who are waiting for 6.X.

Still....
Old 07-14-2010, 07:58 AM   #58
CanuckBB

Keep in mind that 2010 is an entirely different way of accessing Outlook data. Very few software vendors have updated products when a new MS software goes RTM. It is the prudent thing to do to have your software go through all the testing again with the RM version, and tht can take a couple of months.

To do 64 bit correctly, the software should be re-written. Given limited development resources, it makes sense for RIM to get the 32-bit version out first. The overwhelming majority of PCs out there are still running 32-bit Windows.

And as much as this may hurt feelings, I have no compassion for people who jump on the new shinny software immediately without making sure that everything else they use is compatible. There is a price to be paid to be on the bleeding edge.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:47 PM   #59
The Sand

If RIM gets 64 bit done “next year” (let’s be positive and say January) – that is a 6 month wait – no amount of excuses for RIM or blaming the user is going to make that easier to swallow.

Sandy
Old 07-15-2010, 09:53 PM   #60
CanuckBB

At this point, while growing, the market for 64 bit software is not top priority. 32 bit is needed first.
Closed Thread