Old 06-21-2007, 07:50 PM   #1
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not
Default iPhone Fever: Not Everyone Buys the Hype

Please Login to Remove!

I'm not at all interested an iPhone, and after reading this, I'm even less interested. A GLASS touchscreen??

ABC News: Why You Shouldn't Buy an iPhone
Old 06-21-2007, 08:15 PM   #2
camaxtli
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9780
PIN: a colada
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
I'm not at all interested an iPhone, and after reading this, I'm even less interested. A GLASS touchscreen??

ABC News: Why You Shouldn't Buy an iPhone
I dont really see a problem with the glass touchscreens. I actually prefer them. I use a Dell Axim x51 and sometimes I loose my stylus and have to just use my fingers. I also used to have a cheap nextel phone with a plastic screen and they scratch way too easy, which is why apple went to glass. I do however think they should have reinforced it since going to glass, I can just hear them shattering now I will stick to my BB and ipod thanks.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:08 PM   #3
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

I hate touchscreens.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:16 AM   #4
jdposhkus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: VZW

Ill pass on the iphone.

I like gadgets, alot. But age and wisdom and lots of $$ spent have taught me the following:
If you want a good phone experience, get a great phone. If you want good pictures, get a great camera, if you want a good music experience buy a great mp3 player. If you want one device to do all of this, fine, but realize that it will only do each thing 60 % well. If that is a trade off you are willing to make, then go get a converged device.
While the iphone looks cool to be sure, all the cool people and fashionistas will be rocking them come the 29th but l bet it is not quite ready for prime time.

just my .02
2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2008
Old 06-22-2007, 09:20 AM   #5
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Forget both the iPhone AND the Blackberry. I'm gonna get me one of these!!

YouTube - Microsoft Surface Parody

Old 06-22-2007, 09:41 AM   #6
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

haha, good find, Ju.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:29 PM   #7
King-B
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
PIN: 23F8E72F
Carrier: SunCom

Yeah. I agree. But your still gonna need a phone. Ditch the blackberry and iPhone and get this....

YouTube - Microsoft oPhone
Old 06-22-2007, 01:40 PM   #8
flash24
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: 3319688F
Carrier: Verizon

I am for sure not gonna buy one, I'm soo not into the touchscreen keyboard.

Proud to Serve USAF
Old 06-22-2007, 03:31 PM   #9
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

i dont have a problem with touchscreen. I just posted in the 88xx section the tour for the phone.

Apple - iPhone - A Guided Tour
Old 06-22-2007, 06:31 PM   #10
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by King-B View Post
Yeah. I agree. But your still gonna need a phone. Ditch the blackberry and iPhone and get this....

YouTube - Microsoft oPhone
OMG! I so need that phone!
Old 06-26-2007, 10:12 AM   #11
test54
BlackBerry Master

Apple - iPhone - Rate Plans for iPhone

Among the new plans AT&T is offering specifically for the iPhone, consumers can spend $60 monthly to get 450 minutes of cellular talk time, $80 for 900 minutes, and $100 for 1,350 minutes. All those plans include access to email and mobile Web services, the visual voicemail service, and the ability to send 200 text messages. AT&T said consumers could also choose from standard service plans
Old 06-26-2007, 04:49 PM   #12
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
I hate touchscreens.
Me too -- generally dislike touchpads -- but you gotta admit -- multitouch is AMAZING!

While I use PC's, I love the MacBook's multitouch laptop touchpad. For example, put two fingers on it and it scrolls. One finger, is mouse mode. And it's a lot more smarter to ignoring accidental taps (since it can more intelligently tell whether that's an intended finger touch). I've always hated the feature in other notebooks (Dell, etc) where light accidental touches while touchtyping in Word, kept moving the cursor around randomly occasionally while typing on the laptop. So I often disabled the "finger tap to click" feature, so that my cursor stopped being randomly put in the wrong location on the screen (this is caused by wrists lightly touching the touchpad while touchtyping in a document, causing a click, moving the cursor to an undesired location while I was typing). If you are a PC laptop user and have often witnessed the cursor randomly jumping to a different position in a Word document and never figured out why it does that -- now you know why. We need smarter touchpads such as Apple laptop touchpads, to arrive on Windows notebook computers.

Apple are very good designers of touchpads, and their touchpad skills will no doubt probably translate into the world's best touchscreen PDA UI. The question is -- will it minimize annoyances enough for many users?
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 06-27-2007, 08:49 AM   #13
test54
BlackBerry Master

Mark, I agree i love that aspect on my powerbook, the touchpad works very well and it frustrates me when i switch over to my dell and have to use the one section of the touchpad to do it.

fyi, heres a breakdown on the typing in iphone. Apple - iPhone - iPhone keyboard
Old 06-27-2007, 01:23 PM   #14
BB8100user
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon View Post
Me too -- generally dislike touchpads -- but you gotta admit -- multitouch is AMAZING!

While I use PC's, I love the MacBook's multitouch laptop touchpad. For example, put two fingers on it and it scrolls. One finger, is mouse mode. And it's a lot more smarter to ignoring accidental taps (since it can more intelligently tell whether that's an intended finger touch). I've always hated the feature in other notebooks (Dell, etc) where light accidental touches while touchtyping in Word, kept moving the cursor around randomly occasionally while typing on the laptop. So I often disabled the "finger tap to click" feature, so that my cursor stopped being randomly put in the wrong location on the screen (this is caused by wrists lightly touching the touchpad while touchtyping in a document, causing a click, moving the cursor to an undesired location while I was typing). If you are a PC laptop user and have often witnessed the cursor randomly jumping to a different position in a Word document and never figured out why it does that -- now you know why. We need smarter touchpads such as Apple laptop touchpads, to arrive on Windows notebook computers.

Apple are very good designers of touchpads, and their touchpad skills will no doubt probably translate into the world's best touchscreen PDA UI. The question is -- will it minimize annoyances enough for many users?
Man, I HATE the "tap to click" feature. I've disabled that POS feature ever since it was implemented several years ago.

Glad to hear the Mac is much better in this regard.

The biggest problem with using the iPhone or anything with multi-touch is that my hands need to stay clean. I'd have to wash my hands every 20-30 minutes to make sure I keep the touch screen clean. My hands would get very very dry quickly. I don't know if I could deal with that.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:28 PM   #15
test54
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB8100user View Post
Man, I HATE the "tap to click" feature. I've disabled that POS feature ever since it was implemented several years ago.

Glad to hear the Mac is much better in this regard.

The biggest problem with using the iPhone or anything with multi-touch is that my hands need to stay clean. I'd have to wash my hands every 20-30 minutes to make sure I keep the touch screen clean. My hands would get very very dry quickly. I don't know if I could deal with that.
Yes the macs do very well with touchpads (i disabled the tap to click as well) and i agree with you about trouble keeping hand clean but i have found that if you use your fingertips, not the area fingerprints are - its usually cleaner and less oily. dont ask how i know this but give it a try.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:51 PM   #16
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

I was disappointed that they wouldn't, at least initially, offer a chat program or MMS functionality. I also heard that you can't cut and paste text!?! WTF!! Also, the lack of support for 3G is a bummer too. I just couldn't spend that much for the phone.

I do, however, think I could get used that that keypad. I don't know, it just looks kind of cool to me.

Last edited by jeremyckitching; 06-27-2007 at 02:59 PM..
Old 06-27-2007, 03:02 PM   #17
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

from the reviews Ive seen BB users wont like it becuase you cant type with the thumbs it registers too many key strokes.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:31 PM   #18
test54
BlackBerry Master

dawg, they show on a couple different videos it being used with both thumbs and going pretty fast. trust the videos more than reviews at this point, until i can get my hands on one.

jeremy, i do agree about mms, chat and copy & paste. 3G i dont have nay use for as its not even close to my area. hopefully apple with update the software to allow some of these things, its easily updated through iTunes (atleast that what it looks like).

Last edited by test54; 06-27-2007 at 03:33 PM..
Old 06-27-2007, 03:37 PM   #19
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
dawg, they show on a couple different videos it being used with both thumbs and going pretty fast. trust the videos more than reviews at this point, until i can get my hands on one.

jeremy, i do agree about mms, chat and copy & paste. 3G i dont have nay use for as its not even close to my area. hopefully apple with update the software to allow some of these things, its easily updated through iTunes (atleast that what it looks like).
I dont trust any of it videos acn easly be doctored to do anything you want
Old 06-27-2007, 05:41 PM   #20
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
from the reviews Ive seen BB users wont like it becuase you cant type with the thumbs it registers too many key strokes.
I was watching a new video (or at least new to me as I hadn't seen it) about the iPhone's keypad. At the end the guy was typing (pretty fast I might add) with his thumbs. In the video they do recommend that you initially use your index finger as you get used to their keypad. But once you are used to it (which they said may take about a week) it is all thumbs after that!
Closed Thread